Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 11:21 AM

371 posts, read 429,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Croynism remains a huge problem in Africa. And Ghana economically isn't doing that great. If you want to make any real money, you're better off going to Angola or Nigeria. Both countries have a ton of foreign investment in it. Ghana isn't in the news for warfare, but it is poorly managed like many many African countries. They also don't have the infrastructure that most Americans are use to.

I do think many African countries are nearing a huge economic boom. I see a massive amount of foreign investment pouring into the continent soon. It's up to the government to decide what they'll do with it. It makes more sense to go into a free market, but Africa loves protectionism. So I can see them screwing things up, similar to what Mugabe did.
I've been to Ghana before, it has a large upper class, and infrastructure that mimics America depending on where you go. It has pockets of development like every 2nd and 3rd world country. You can live in a upper middle class bubble in Ghana the same way you can in the United States.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:34 AM

371 posts, read 429,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Liberia was set up for African Americans.
Any current AA's see it as a continuing option ?
United States started a 20 year war in the country and they brain drained all of the educated population and now those with education are all in America.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:45 AM

10,190 posts, read 8,010,861 times
LMAO!!! Oh yeah, all of your problems will be solved when you move to Africa. Hahaha. I love it.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:38 PM

21,598 posts, read 10,750,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
There is a growing AA population in Ghana. I have been there a few times. I am also entertaining a move there for retirement.

I have always believed that African Americans should target an African country and invest heavily into it with our trillion plus dollar purchasing power. That country could then become a relocation option for many African Americans....if they choose. However, with white imperialism what it is, there is really no escape from its influence. In America, we are kind of in the eye of the storm of white imperialism, which is why I would want dual citizenship.
Why keep dual citizenship? It sounds like you don't like the US very much, which is fine and your right. Just remember that corporate interests going to other countries to get oil or whatever other wealth they are getting is only being allowed because the governments in those countries allow it and don't put any regulations in their way. Corporate interests respect nothing but their bottom line. It is up to the countries they operate in to make sure they aren't taking advantage of the people.

If a company from Norway comes here, they have to respect our laws and regulations. Ditto for any American companies going to Norway.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:55 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,253,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
There is a growing AA population in Ghana. I have been there a few times. I am also entertaining a move there for retirement.

I have always believed that African Americans should target an African country and invest heavily into it with our trillion plus dollar purchasing power. That country could then become a relocation option for many African Americans....if they choose. However, with white imperialism what it is, there is really no escape from its influence. In America, we are kind of in the eye of the storm of white imperialism, which is why I would want dual citizenship.
Why should I, as a black American, invest money in an African country? What is the point? I would rather invest my money here in America. After all, I am an American before anything else. What about Europe? I am also part Irish by ancestry.

Aside from that, if I had to leave the United States, Canada, Australia, South Africa, and Germany would be my top choices. Most African countries are far too unstable, tribal, and protectionist. Also, I generally would not accept the collectivism that is present in Africa. One of the biggest differences between North America and Africa, is the concept of individualism. Finally, as someone in college to become a business professional, I enjoy free market economies. Outside of Nigeria and South Africa, I don't know too many African countries that have an economy that resemble the United States.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:31 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,927,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Why should I, as a black American, invest money in an African country? What is the point? I would rather invest my money here in America. After all, I am an American before anything else. What about Europe? I am also part Irish by ancestry.

Aside from that, if I had to leave the United States, Canada, Australia, South Africa, and Germany would be my top choices. Most African countries are far too unstable, tribal, and protectionist. Also, I generally would not accept the collectivism that is present in Africa. One of the biggest differences between North America and Africa, is the concept of individualism. Finally, as someone in college to become a business professional, I enjoy free market economies. Outside of Nigeria and South Africa, I don't know too many African countries that have an economy that resemble the United States.
ITA with the bold

I also don't see the point in investing in anything outside of America and I am black as well. Especially not to the degree which Indentured Servant described.

However, I will note that many African countries I feel would be suitable for me living there on a temporary basis just to get an expat experience. They also have some of the most exciting economies currently in Africa. I mentioned South Africa earlier. I also would like to visit Angola or live there along with Rwanda. Botswana has been a stable country for decades as has Ghana. I would also love to visit Senegal. I took French in 8th grade forward due to reading some information about Senegal and how a majority of the African continent speaks French. I've always wanted to go there but I would not want to go there with the intent of leaving my home country for good.

I also have Irish and English ancestry. My family has been in this country for hundreds of years, longer than most white Americans who have more recent of a connection to Europe. In consider myself truly American and see no reason to invest in any other country. I actually do invest in the markets and I purposefully over the past 10 years only invested in domestic stocks/markets (primarily S&P 500 stocks) and I have done really well. Any international investing either in Africa or Asia or Europe is too risky IMO. Contrary to what many feel, we have a good, stable economy here in America unlike a majority of the world.

FWIW, I would also love to live in Central or S. America. I speak French (enough to carry an easy conversation but I do need to improve my spoken language skills) and my spouse speaks Spanish pretty well and we are planning on doing a lot of traveling to Africa and S. America when our kids go off to college. I also would love to visit Europe and Asia, but only for vacation. I could live in a number of African and S. American countries for a while.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:47 PM

27,306 posts, read 16,347,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
Preferably, Accra, Ghana.

For the simple reason of: I'm tired of America,

1. I'm tired of Monsanto and the lack of organic food options.
2. I'm tired of thinking about race (if everyone was black it would never get brought up to me)
3. I'm tired of the lackluster nightlife. Clubs closing at 2-3 with no establishment for after parties.
4. I'm tired of the senseless laws, there are too many laws in America, I can't even sneeze without getting questioned. I've travelled and it's the LEAST free place I've ever lived in. I swear the government monitors your bank account and if they see you not spending money for a month, somehow, someway you get a $300 parking ticket or traffic violation.
5. Too empty. Where are all the people? Besides New York we have no mega city.
6. Individualistic, small families, too many people with mental health issues. I don't know why people can't just be happy here.
7. Awkward and uptight (probably comes from all our laws), have you spoken to a mainstream American?
8. I feel like 95 % of the people I meet are social constructions and they pride themselves on being like everyone else.
9. Never been a fan of the looks that the British, Nigerian, Mexican, Chinese or these admixtures of people have. From the European world, I like Spain and Portugal. From Africa, Ghana, Kenya and Ethiopia. Asia, s Korea, Cambodia, phillapines. Latin world, brazil and Columbia. Call me vain but it seems we in the US got all immigrants from unattractive countries.

Just giving my 2 cents.
Uh huh. Post a picture of yourself when you get there. Otherwise, I don't believe a word you say.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:47 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,677,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
United States started a 20 year war in the country and they brain drained all of the educated population and now those with education are all in America.
Thousands of Liberians were brought to a city near me.
The mayor at the time put effort into bringing them here,
he went there himself. I'm talking about Providence, RI.
His name is David Cicilline, there are articles.

I know a guy who worked in Sierra Leone, he did fairly
well for a few years but it was hard work, trying to mine
riverbeds.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:46 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,357,546 times
interesting...Ghana has its own set of frustrations but I plan on applying for dual citizenship and perhaps, maybe, possibly, living there in retirement IF things there continue to improve. There has been a mass wave of expatriates moving back and new "western" friendly services and business are all over the place now. Clubs, bars, malls, swanky restaurants, etc. They still have issues like water rationing, side roads are crappy, and the electricity usually goes of for several hours during the day, every day, but things are getting much better and steadily improving. If you have American money, you're life is very comfortable (house help, a driver, a massive house with all of the traditional western comforts including a back up generator LOL). I'm still 30 years away from retirement so a lot more change can happen but I'm keeping an eye on the improvements. I'm headed to Accra this month in fact and am curious to see how things have improved...

Oh, I'm Ghanaian-American, FYI, but US born and raised. I'm very much Americanized that I can't speak the local language(s). However, the idea of me moving to Ghana is legit since I already have family ties and property in the country. I've always been curious about black people with no direct ties to Ghana or other counties in Africa that assume things will be so much "better" for them there just because they are black. That's really not the case. The culture is totally different. You could really just the same move to Canada if you're tired of America. I'm not trying to discourage you but don't assume it will be this utopia just because you're black.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:56 PM

592 posts, read 1,386,641 times
I love you too!
Even tho u never met me.
I will miss you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies