Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 06:54 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,184,636 times

Advertisements

Do people not understand that SOMEONE HAS TO WORK THOSE JOBS? Not everyone can be a computer scientist, businessman or business woman, lawyers, doctors, or a manager.

Cost of living continues to rise year after year while wages are stagnant....that's just going to continue to cause a fissure between the rich and poor and more social problems will arise. It's not so surprising that candidates like Bernie Sanders continue to get more and more popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 07:52 AM

7,584 posts, read 5,370,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I have seen two shows of Undercover Boss and while the workers depicted probably did not earn minimum wage, they probably were low-level and low-paid workers. And they appeared to perform their jobs reasonably well. And when the boss reveled his identity, he had praise and some tangible goodies for his workers.
I might add, I've seen on more than a number of occasions where the boss proves to be totally incompetent at accomplishing the job of their lowest wage workers. Virtually every job that I can think of requires skills whether those skills required intellectual or physical abilities if that were not the case no one would ever be fired for their inability to perform the tasks required but people are terminated for not "getting it" everyday. I've seen highly educated, smart people, without the skill set to do low wage jobs and fail miserably.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:10 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,769,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Im sick and tired of hearing low wage workers complaining and asking for a higher minimum wage. Customer service is a joke. Whenever I have to interact with low wage workers, it just reminds me how lazy our low wage workers have gotten. What ever happened to working hard and moving up? We should LOWER the minimum wage to remind these people they need to work harder, NOT whine for government handouts.
Until I get this level of service, they don't deserve a cent more!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJXzkUH72cY

Old 03-30-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Spoken like someone who doesn't understand how the economy works. If you're not fortunate enough to be in the right job role (and no, we can't all be doctors and engineers), then your skills are not valued highly. If that's the case, if you're a janitor, you can mop, scrub, mop every waking hour with all your might until your body is broken down, and you're still not going to be paid much per hour.

Again, there are far fewer high paid roles to be filled than there are workers in the US, so even if everyone breaks their back, not everyone will be in a highly paid role.

So should we always allow that portion of people to simply starve?

That said, I agree that minimum wage shouldn't be raised. All that does is inventive automation/offshoring, which will put people out of work entirely. $5 an hour is better than $0, especially since being unemployed long enough makes people unemployable.

I disagree. If there are 10 floors to be mopped and only two people to do it, there will be a bidding war for the service. There is only a minimum wage because their are more moppers than floors.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:29 AM

39,503 posts, read 27,881,718 times
Quote:
Im sick and tired of hearing low wage workers complaining and asking for a higher minimum wage. Customer service is a joke. Whenever I have to interact with low wage workers, it just reminds me how lazy our low wage workers have gotten. What ever happened to working hard and moving up? We should LOWER the minimum wage to remind these people they need to work harder, NOT whine for government handouts.
I think it depends on the individuals. I am a business owner, and most of the low wage workers we hire are very hard working people who are also pretty intelligent.

I don't know if any of them should be paid a set amount of wage set by government, I think business owners should make that ultimate decision. But I do believe many of these minimum wage workers deserve a raise. Instead of hiring Xxx amount of part time workers, I don't mind hiring less amount of good full time workers and pay them full benefits.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:31 AM

39,503 posts, read 27,881,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I've seen highly educated, smart people, without the skill set to do low wage jobs and fail miserably.
I agree. Some college students don't even know how to operate a cash register. Many are slow learners.

So it really depends on individuals.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:34 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,169,526 times
Quote:
But you can apply this to the middle-class just as well. If they are disgusted with paying taxes, they are whining for government handouts in a different way. Most of them have not added value/earning power to their resumes either. They would need to work harder too, in improving their earning power one way or the other.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:52 AM

63,917 posts, read 46,971,140 times
Most of us are aware of the $25/hr jobs at the Carrier plant in Indiana that are being eliminated because Carrier is closing the plant and moving the operation to Mexico. Most of those jobs require no more skill than a burger flipper making Minimum Wage, yet the Carrier jobs are considered careers while the burger flipper tends to be viewed as a loser.

States and often municipalities within states are free to set their Minimum Wage at any amount greater than the Federal Minimum. No reason for further federal intervention.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most of us are aware of the $25/hr jobs at the Carrier plant in Indiana that are being eliminated because Carrier is closing the plant and moving the operation to Mexico. Most of those jobs require no more skill than a burger flipper making Minimum Wage, yet the Carrier jobs are considered careers while the burger flipper tends to be viewed as a loser.

States and often municipalities within states are free to set their Minimum Wage at any amount greater than the Federal Minimum. No reason for further federal intervention.

I agree. In addition, if one of those "loser" burger flippers opens a burger joint and continues to flip burgers they are now considered an "entrepreneur".

Old 03-30-2016, 09:20 AM

20,739 posts, read 19,468,026 times
Quote:
Why is it that so called fiscal conservatives always make this faux Marxist rant?

Wages are not set by work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies