Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 10:01 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,088,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Kids require a ton of cash to house, feed, and educate. I shelled out half a million just for college for my three kids.

What are the benefits? They are not financial. It is all the laughs and good times that we had and still have. My wife and I are home bodies and would not have done one quarter of the things we did unelss we had our kids. Many more trips, more activities, and more parents of other kids met at events. We laugh our asses off when we are together.

If people don't want kids, that is fine. But for me, I could not imagine my life without kids and can say it has been a hell of a lot better than it would have been otherwise. For other people, kids may not be as much fun.
I agree with all of your posts in this thread, hawk (and that's a first. ). I, too, cannot imagine my life without my kids. Some of the best times in my life have been spent with my children--family trips, holidays, cookouts in the backyard, dinner around the table every night. When I try to imagine my life without them it looks very empty.

And now that they're adults they have grown into friends. And that's the real payoff for all of the hard work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 10:06 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,584,043 times
Nobody should be paying for other people's children.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:27 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,149,616 times
I do want one kid, but only after we have enough financial stability (a house paid off in full, zero debt, at least $250K saved up after all that, both keeping high salary jobs).

That, and I need time to mentally prepare myself to have a throbbing alien embedded inside me growing and growing until it bursts out the genitalia tearing and clawing and hissing and bleeding whilst in screaming agony for 48 hours and be left looking like my innards have been jammed through a woodchipper.

And after all that virtually satanic torment, to be cursed to never be allowed to sleep again without relentlessly piercing shrieks every 15 minutes 24/7 being a fact of life for years to come.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:29 AM

21,486 posts, read 10,593,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I agree with all of your posts in this thread, hawk (and that's a first. ). I, too, cannot imagine my life without my kids. Some of the best times in my life have been spent with my children--family trips, holidays, cookouts in the backyard, dinner around the table every night. When I try to imagine my life without them it looks very empty.

And now that they're adults they have grown into friends. And that's the real payoff for all of the hard work.
As the mother of teenagers, I am looking forward to the time we can be friends.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:35 AM

21,486 posts, read 10,593,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I do want one kid, but only after we have enough financial stability (a house paid off in full, zero debt, at least $250K saved up after all that, both keeping high salary jobs).

That, and I need time to mentally prepare myself to have a throbbing alien embedded inside me growing and growing until it bursts out the genitalia tearing and clawing and hissing and bleeding whilst in screaming agony for 48 hours and be left looking like my innards have been jammed through a woodchipper.

And after all that virtually satanic torment, to be cursed to never be allowed to sleep again without relentlessly piercing shrieks every 15 minutes 24/7 being a fact of life for years to come.
There is never a perfect time to have kids, but your worry about the alien embedded in your stomach is not needed. That was an awesome time for me. I loved the feeling of my babies moving around inside me. I felt like that was a special time only mothers get to feel.

I strongly recommend an epidural for the actual birth. I didn't feel any pain, and the recovery was not that bad. Even my friends who had them naturally forgot the pain enough to do it again. Honestly, I have heard other things like kidney stones hurt far worse. The body is made to handle the birth.

As for the crying, it depends on the baby. Mine both slept through the night as soon as I let them. With my first I was so nervous I checked on her every time she made a noise. When I finally slept through that, so did she. My second slept through the night within a week.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:47 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,592,374 times
It's Easter Sunday, so let's all be thankful that "some people" (who shall remain anonymous) have removed themselves from the gene pool. Something Darwinian and all that.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:48 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,298,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
i do want one kid, but only after we have enough financial stability (a house paid off in full, zero debt, at least $250k saved up after all that, both keeping high salary jobs).

That, and i need time to mentally prepare myself to have a throbbing alien embedded inside me growing and growing until it bursts out the genitalia tearing and clawing and hissing and bleeding whilst in screaming agony for 48 hours and be left looking like my innards have been jammed through a woodchipper. I highly recommend an epidural.

and after all that virtually satanic torment, to be cursed to never be allowed to sleep again without relentlessly piercing shrieks every 15 minutes 24/7 being a fact of life for years to come. You know... kids often take after their parents. If you weren't like that as a child, then your children probably won't be. My dad always tells me children are punishment for being a child.
:d :d :d

Old 03-27-2016, 10:49 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,572,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I don't know a lot people, but the people I am aware of who do not have kids--my Brother is one--regret it later on in life. Im not a fan of feral cat style breeding, but I think it is a real psychological phenomenon that people have regrets about not procreating when they're on in years. Kids might be an inconvenience when you are younger, want to have a "career" and still want to go out and get loaded and stuff, but later when you age/mature a little and your priorities change, stuff the lil demons do will make you very happy and fill you with sort of a feeling of accomplishment seeing all the time you put into being a "good parent" come to fruition. Those tiny little moments over time, make it somewhat rewarding and soul-enriching. Another anecdotal, unscientific observation of childless people is that they are a little less empathetic, for want of a better term, than people who have had to spend a large part of the existence giving and suffering the hardships that parenting brings.
I disagree with this observation completely. I also disagree with those who choose not to have kids regretting it later in life. Not once have I ever had the urge to have kids & I have never regretted that decision. In fact, I am happy with my decision every day whenever I see kids or talk with friends who have kids. No thanks, not for me.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:55 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,477,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
The other day I walk up at 1pm, smoked some refer (legal here) and went to a bar and then just kind of did...whatever. In quiet. No other human demanding my time or energy. Just me. I think "fambly" people secretly envy people like me, they are just too weak to admit it.
Yup, you sound like a real winner that people envy.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:02 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,293,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I don't know a lot people, but the people I am aware of who do not have kids--my Brother is one--regret it later on in life. Im not a fan of feral cat style breeding, but I think it is a real psychological phenomenon that people have regrets about not procreating when they're on in years. Kids might be an inconvenience when you are younger, want to have a "career" and still want to go out and get loaded and stuff, but later when you age/mature a little and your priorities change, stuff the lil demons do will make you very happy and fill you with sort of a feeling of accomplishment seeing all the time you put into being a "good parent" come to fruition. Those tiny little moments over time, make it somewhat rewarding and soul-enriching. Another anecdotal, unscientific observation of childless people is that they are a little less empathetic, for want of a better term, than people who have had to spend a large part of the existence giving and suffering the hardships that parenting brings.
I disagree. It's kind of insulting, too. Fortunately, most people with kids don't make those sweeping generalizations about childless people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies