Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 08:45 AM

13,299 posts, read 7,899,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Oh, yeah! The paddle! And our shop teacher had holes in his! The coach had a paddle too.

Still, the paddles weren't very aerodynamic or ergonomic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Oh, yeah! The paddle! And our shop teacher had holes in his! The coach had a paddle too.

Oh, and when we lived in the city, the girls drew squares on the sidewalk for hop-scotch, and played Jacks on the porch. We also played "cowboys and Indians" in those days. My wife says she always had to be the captured Indian princess, and they'd tie her to a tree!!! LOL

I remember the ice cream truck. And we used to sell lemonade on hot summer days.

When we moved out to the country, it was horses (though I didn't ride), swimming out back in our 'lake' (pond), mowing with a Ford 9N with a five foot Mott mower on the back, watching the horse show across the road (we lived right across from part of the Metro Park), climbing trees (yes, kids did that back then), hiking in our woods ...
Savages!

Old 03-04-2016, 08:55 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,877,548 times
Quote:

Oh, and when we lived in the city, the girls drew squares on the sidewalk for hop-scotch, and played Jacks on the porch. We also played "cowboys and Indians" in those days. My wife says she always had to be the captured Indian princess, and they'd tie her to a tree!!! LOL

I remember the ice cream truck. And we used to sell lemonade on hot summer days.

When we moved out to the country, it was horses (though I didn't ride), swimming out back in our 'lake' (pond), mowing with a Ford 9N with a five foot Mott mower on the back, watching the horse show across the road (we lived right across from part of the Metro Park), climbing trees (yes, kids did that back then), hiking in our woods ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Still, the paddles weren't very aerodynamic or ergonomic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Savages!
As stated here before in the corporal punishment threads, my first experience with the paddle in 8th grade resulted in an unblemished disciplinary record through graduation night in 12grade.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
As stated here before in the corporal punishment threads, my first experience with the paddle in 8th grade resulted in an unblemished disciplinary record through graduation nigh in 12grade.
I threatened the 8th grade shop teacher that I would duck, and then sue.

I actually did duck on his backswing . . . Neeever got hit.

I was willing to sacrifice my life for a paddled-free bottom.

It's difficult to a-salt the tail of a magpie.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
As stated here before in the corporal punishment threads, my first experience with the paddle in 8th grade resulted in an unblemished disciplinary record through graduation night in 12grade.
Just like George Bush protecting us from terrorism.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:02 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,070,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Kind of funny how this is always ignored in all this nostalgia.

People act like Reagan didn't buck against the entire history of the US by drastically cutting taxes for the most wealthy in the country. Of course Middle Class America collapsed when they were expected to pay a higher effective rate than the wealthiest US citizens.

The average top income rate from the 1940's-70's was like 80%, even being 91-92%(!) throughout the 1950s and 1960s and 94% in the 1940s.

People completely ignore the history of our country and freak out at Bernie's (actually very reasonable) tax plan.
Can you back that up with facts? I believe Reagan also cut taxes for the average middle class person.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:05 AM

Those were good times but overall I feel it is much better now.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I also had my first experience with what my teacher ,Mr MacNeil, called the "Board of Education" in 8th grade. it didn't cause me to have an unblemished record from there out but i think it didn't harm me either.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:21 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,940,069 times
I, too, remember those days. My alcoholic step father not only believed he owned me he tried to beat that idea into my soul. I put up with it, and the occasional swat by a school teacher, until I was 14. By then I had grown from a skinny badly nearsighted kid into a very strong young man. I told my step father if he tried to beat me ever again I would beat him to death. He was just sober enough to believe me. Only a couple of fools tried to hit me in school and they were carried out on a stretcher. No body has tried it since except for a whole bunch of angry natives in 'Nam that tried to shoot me. They missed. I did not.

Yeah, I dream about those days. Then I wake up shuddering and sit up for a while until I can go back to sleep. You can keep the "good old days".

Old 03-04-2016, 09:23 AM

73,127 posts, read 62,950,489 times
An America where Jim Crow was the law of the land in many places. An America where Blacks were turned away from living in certain places. An America that didn't treat everyone like Americans. No thank you.

Last edited by green_mariner; 03-04-2016 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies