Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 05:07 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,434,032 times

Advertisements

The problem is ENTITLEMENT, they all think they are entitled to go to college and have someone else pay for it.

I'm another from a working class background who didn't want to go to college so joined the Navy right from school, went on to have 5 children worked a variety of jobs and at the grand old age of 33 put myself through college, I worked to pay my tuition, looked after 5 kids and still managed to get a BA, most of the time hubby was away either at work or at sea (he was in the navy).
At no time have I expected anyone else to pay my way, I have worked to support my children, pay my mortgage and my way through college.
I think us 'older folks' are of a different mindset, we don't expect life put on a plate for us and if we want it we work for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 05:55 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,577,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
The problem is ENTITLEMENT, they all think they are entitled to go to college and have someone else pay for it.

I'm another from a working class background who didn't want to go to college so joined the Navy right from school, went on to have 5 children worked a variety of jobs and at the grand old age of 33 put myself through college, I worked to pay my tuition, looked after 5 kids and still managed to get a BA, most of the time hubby was away either at work or at sea (he was in the navy).
At no time have I expected anyone else to pay my way, I have worked to support my children, pay my mortgage and my way through college.
I think us 'older folks' are of a different mindset, we don't expect life put on a plate for us and if we want it we work for it.
Don't military members get tuition assistance?

Old 01-18-2016, 06:37 PM

17,613 posts, read 13,401,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
So why does income inequality matter?

1. Constrains the economy
2. Stagnates wages
3. Limits economic growth
4. Reduces the tax base
5. Takes money out of circulation
OK, then why should I care about the redistribution of wealth? Which is probably the term that I should have used in the beginning of this thread. (I'm not an economist or-God forbid-a politician, I'm a pharmacist so maybe my choice of words was incorrect)

Same concept different terms. I worked for, and earned, my money. Why should it be taken away from me and given to someone who doesn't want to work and earn.

I said it is no sin to pay taxes. But why are the Libs trying to take more of my money to support addicts, street people who want to be street people (whether by choice or mental illness) or as a permanent generational entitlement to people who have been governed and raised to live off the teat of working society?

It is really the permanent entitlement that rubs me raw. When I was in retail it was amazing to hear young women figuring out exactly how many more babies they needed to be able to quit. (One had 4 kids by 4 fathers and she figured that she needed 2 more--Her mother had 5 kids and couldn't have another, so, at 30 something, she had to work part time.)

This is what I meant in my original post.

WHY IS SOME HALF ASSED POLITICIAN TRYING TO TAKE MY MONEY TO SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL ENTITLEMENT DEPENDENT INDIVIDUALS WHO DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE THEIR LIVES??????????

Old 01-18-2016, 07:27 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,428,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I've done this so many times....no they did not and the bail outs weren't even the biggest wealth redistribution program. Q.E. was.

https://projects.propublica.org/bailout/

Good to know. I'll let Obama know, also, as he stated the banks and other institutions has repaid every dime.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:43 PM

34,083 posts, read 17,140,925 times
Good original post, Mike.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:14 PM

17,613 posts, read 13,401,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
OK, then why should I care about the redistribution of wealth? Which is probably the term that I should have used in the beginning of this thread. (I'm not an economist or-God forbid-a politician, I'm a pharmacist so maybe my choice of words was incorrect)

Same concept different terms. I worked for, and earned, my money. Why should it be taken away from me and given to someone who doesn't want to work and earn.

I said it is no sin to pay taxes. But why are the Libs trying to take more of my money to support addicts, street people who want to be street people (whether by choice or mental illness) or as a permanent generational entitlement to people who have been governed and raised to live off the teat of working society?

It is really the permanent entitlement that rubs me raw. When I was in retail it was amazing to hear young women figuring out exactly how many more babies they needed to be able to quit. (One had 4 kids by 4 fathers and she figured that she needed 2 more--Her mother had 5 kids and couldn't have another, so, at 30 something, she had to work part time.)

This is what I meant in my original post.

WHY IS SOME HALF ASSED POLITICIAN TRYING TO TAKE MY MONEY TO SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL ENTITLEMENT DEPENDENT INDIVIDUALS WHO DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE THEIR LIVES??????????
If true, here is what I am talking about:

Welfare queen brags about her freebies, says working is stupid!

Old 01-18-2016, 08:20 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,279,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
https://projects.propublica.org/bailout/

Good to know. I'll let Obama know, also, as he stated the banks and other institutions has repaid every dime.
Yeah, Obama lies.

Banks Repaid Fed Bailout With Other Fed Money: Government Report

Banks Repay TARP With Funds Meant to Spur Small-Business Loans - WSJ

Final tally: Taxpayers auto bailout loss $9.3B

Old 01-18-2016, 08:23 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,279,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
If true, here is what I am talking about:

Welfare queen brags about her freebies, says working is stupid!
Here is what I'm talking about.

The People vs. Goldman Sachs | Rolling Stone

Old 01-19-2016, 07:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,837,665 times
Hey Mike - If you paid any attention to my proposed income tax you would probably not pay any or not very much anyway. You know the plan; all income from all sources with a deductible set at the 90th PERCENTILE. No other special deductions because the money is from investments or inheritance. The process is simple. Add up all of your income then subtract the deductible and pay tax in the rest at an exponentially progressive rate.

I would not provide "free "tuition at publically owned colleges but what I would do is remove the private banks from the system. the loans would be made by the government and the student's future income would be the collateral. The borrowers would pay off the loan at the Federal Discount rate for as many years as it took based on their income. This would be separate from the Income Tax.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:00 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,590,635 times
I fully support income equality. I think liberals should lead as example. All the movie stars, NBA, NFL players and Warren Buffett should make the equal pay as the janitors.

Let's see they do that and I'll follow suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies