Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 06:52 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
The idea that immunological function is a major factor in natural selection is entirely unremarkable. And it is still operative. I am surprised that a person with a medical degree objects to this. Your blanket statement that natural selection has stopped for humans is simply untrue on its face. (And, IMO, nonsensical.)

Parenthetically, while just about all of us assume that intelligence has been a driving factor in human evolution thus far, it is by no means certain that the intelligence components we measure with IQ tests are exactly the same components that nature is selecting for. There's a good case that social intelligence is far more important for survival than IQ scores.

OTOH, it turns out that immunological function may be a good predictor of IQ scores. Why Is Average IQ Higher in Some Places? - Scientific American

For anecdata, I give you Stephen Hawking. I for one am very glad that modern technology and social systems have kept him alive - even though I understand barely a quarter of what he has to say.

(BTW, it's Ms. Science Teacher to you.)

Edited to add - I'm not sure why a person who agrees that "Fitness' simply refers to the propagation and perpetuation of genetic material, not the percieved beneficial attributes of those genes" is worried about decreases in IQ scores. The name of the game is indeed gene frequency, and while we all like our brains, there is no cosmic requirement that humans should have high IQ scores. Or that low IQ scores should decrease biological fitness.
Oh my goodness! You TAUGHT genetics????!!! I guess you completely missed the MAIN reason, in human evolution, why homo-sapiens became the dominant hominid, and subsequently the dominant species on the planet?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitness_(biology)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 06:52 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Which is my issue with the "Noahs Ark" story..
There are actually quite a few issues with that story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_BzWUuZN5w

Old 01-14-2016, 07:01 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Oh my goodness! You TAUGHT genetics????!!! I guess you completely missed the MAIN reason, in human evolution, why homo-sapiens became the dominant hominid, and subsequently the dominant species on the planet?

Your link leads to a stub.

Try some Dawkins. He's a lot more informative than a wiki stub.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:10 PM

140 posts, read 124,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

Do we use the piltdown man as the transition fossil?

Old 01-18-2016, 09:49 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
and the left accuses the right of fear mongering..

Claim: ‘Global warming’ could cause humans to develop webbed feet, cat’s eyes and gills | Climate Depot

Ooh could it get any dumber..

Democrats to defend this in 3-2-1...
They're bringing back the Man from Atlantis TV show? Cool.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:52 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
and the left accuses the right of fear mongering..

Claim: ‘Global warming’ could cause humans to develop webbed feet, cat’s eyes and gills | Climate Depot

Ooh could it get any dumber..

Democrats to defend this in 3-2-1...
Oh man, wouldn't that be so freekin' cool? Breath underwater and see in the dark? Drill baby, drill!

Old 01-19-2016, 07:45 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Webbed feet would be kind of cool. So would being able to breath under water and a cats night vision.

I'm in.
...downside you will cough up hair balls the rest of your aquatic life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies