Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 08:58 PM

14,268 posts, read 19,040,652 times

Advertisements

Believe or not, I am anti-abortion..sort of. Politically, I am pro-choice but to a limit. That's why I wrote in an earlier comment that I usually don't want to debate this topic. I am 64, so I obviously have no personal stake in this fight.

However, when I say I'm against late term abortions, but not a morning after pill or first term abortion, people with opposing views say "life begins at conception." Well, most people who took a biology course in high school know how cells are fertilized. There are thousands of cells without form, without a brain, heart or any organs at all. If I say this, then I usually get quoted a verse from the Bible, most often from Jeremiah 1:5. That's why it's next to impossible to compromise. Fortunately, about 90% of all abortions are performed during the first trimester. At least those are the statistics I've seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 09:02 PM

371 posts, read 259,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Yet you quote Goldwater. LOL
I quoted a communist earlier if it makes you feel any better. I use WHATEVER quote helps get the point across.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:20 PM

14,268 posts, read 19,040,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I never know how to vote, so I usually just vote libertarian. I am conservative with certain issues and liberal with others.

Conservative: limiting food stamps and other forms of public assistance to people who really need it (cut off moochers), gun rights, immigration

Liberal: socialized healthcare would be nice, more focus on education, pro choice, leave religion out of politics
It would be nice if a third party candidate had a chance, but no third party has ever won the Presidency in American History. (I Googled it)

So I feel as if I'm wasting my vote if I don't support the party that represents the majority of my views.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:30 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,832,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Believe or not, I am anti-abortion..sort of. Politically, I am pro-choice but to a limit. That's why I wrote in an earlier comment that I usually don't want to debate this topic. I am 64, so I obviously have no personal stake in this fight.

However, when I say I'm against late term abortions, but not a morning after pill or first term abortion, people with opposing views say "life begins at conception." Well, most people who took a biology course in high school know how cells are fertilized. There are thousands of cells without form, without a brain, heart or any organs at all. If I say this, then I usually get quoted a verse from the Bible, most often from Jeremiah 1:5. That's why it's next to impossible to compromise. Fortunately, about 90% of all abortions are performed during the first trimester. At least those are the statistics I've seen.

Yeah that's what most of them are so I don't understand why it's an issue either. Fact is people die all the time. We risk overpopulation if people start having kids they did not want. The world can be a cruel cruel place...better the "kid" dies now before they actually become a kid and be put in a foster home/abusive household.
Personally I would not get an abortion if I consented to having sex even though I don't like kids but that's just me and it sure wouldn't be an easy decision if an accident happened since I'm not into kids. It's not always a matter of being lazy/stupid. Having an abortion is not something that someone would do on a whim. There is always that possibility that someone was irresponsible and just decided to have one but we can't think about that as they are not the norm and that wouldn't be fair to the rest of the women who had actually considered abortion seriously.

Plus I think it shouldn't be as big a deal as it is because we women naturally lose eggs and guys kill their sperm all the time.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:19 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,587,027 times
Its between the doctor and patient. If the patient wants to kill the baby and suffer the guilt its her choice and none of our business

Old 11-14-2015, 09:03 PM

79,911 posts, read 44,532,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
And you think that is a good thing?

Poor women who can't afford to travel will have the child instead and go on welfare........and we all know how Republicans feel about women on welfare.
I support public assistance programs. (Check, I've supported them many times)

P.S. I'm not a Republican.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:07 PM

79,911 posts, read 44,532,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Pro-Lifers are all for the fetus. But after these babies are born, they have no interest at all. Social issues are among the many reasons I won't vote for the "family values" party.
I support public assistance programs. I do not think we do near enough to provide for day care programs. I'm for the country to provide education beyond 12th grade which would do a ton of good for single mothers. I've long support the right for gay couples to marry, not for me as I'm not gay but rather because they then would be able to provide homes for unwanted children.

Should I continue?

Old 11-16-2015, 10:12 AM

42,842 posts, read 26,702,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad14 View Post
I agree OP I wish it wasn't an issue either but continuing to allow people to MURDER innocent babies because it may upset their social lives is something I can't just sit back and ignore.
A non-viable fetus is not a baby any more than a fertilized embryo in an IVF clinic is. And I have known literally dozens of women who have had abortions and I have never heard one claim that it was because the pregnancy was 'upsetting their social life'

Old 11-16-2015, 10:16 AM

7,272 posts, read 5,338,558 times
This is a debate that will never end.

From one persons definition of when life begins to the social and economic issues bringing an unwanted child into the world where the parents can't afford to have a child or live in squalor or on drugs etc. feeds both sides of the argument.

All you can do is take your stance and vote with your heart if this issue strikes such a chord.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:34 PM

16,423 posts, read 7,324,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
This is a debate that will never end.

From one persons definition of when life begins to the social and economic issues bringing an unwanted child into the world where the parents can't afford to have a child or live in squalor or on drugs etc. feeds both sides of the argument.

All you can do is take your stance and vote with your heart if this issue strikes such a chord.
The debate ended. Women have the right to a safe abortion if they choose to. What is at debate is whether states have a right o erode those rights by shutting down clinics and by other nefarious means to pacify the religious right wing. Self induced abortions are in the rise in Texas by poor women who cannot afford to cross border to get a safe one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies