Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 04:30 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,137,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There would be no law. States could do whatever they wished. Some may institute bans while others would likely liberalize the laws from what they are now.
That is not acceptable.

A women shouldn't be denied the right to choose just because she is unlucky enough to reside in a state that bans it.

And, how can you be sure a pro-life Supreme Court wouldn't ban abortion nationwide?

Not a risk I will ever take by voting for a Republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 05:20 AM

79,911 posts, read 44,490,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
That is not acceptable.

A women shouldn't be denied the right to choose just because she is unlucky enough to reside in a state that bans it.
She wouldn't.

Quote:
And, how can you be sure a pro-life Supreme Court wouldn't ban abortion nationwide?
Because they do not create laws, only rule on them.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:33 AM

6,629 posts, read 5,050,065 times
Quote:
She wouldn't.

They interpret law, if they're is a a law that says No pink houses, they can say that by pink they mean blue and guess what no blue houses.
It's an exaggeration but in abortion you are dealing with nuances that are clearly defined, when does life start that sort of thing.

Last edited by DUNNDFRNT; 11-13-2015 at 05:51 AM..

Old 11-13-2015, 05:54 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,137,560 times
Quote:
She wouldn't.

Then why would a state bother to ban abortion?

So only women of means, who could afford to travel to another state, could exercise their rights?

To add to their welfare roles?

Should someone be denied their rights because they are poor?

Old 11-13-2015, 08:16 AM

17,468 posts, read 13,006,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I will never get into a debate about abortion because it will get me nowhere. However, if by "Conservatives" you're referring to the candidates, I have to disagree with you. After all, we've heard with our own ears that some of them are opposed to abortion in cases of rape or incest. Some of them are even against birth control. I remember during the 2012 campaign when Rick Santorum repeatedly talked about the evils of contraception. I don't see anything "conservative" about some of these views.

I have my own ideas, but we all know that there will never be a compromise on this issue.
I agree this topic is to controversial to even begin a good conversation. I do believe Santorum's views were even too much for Republicans to take him seriously. Seems to me Planned Parenthood has been given an open door to give their side as to why a woman should seek abortion. If people have never been inside an abortion clinic or had an abortion, I am not sure how one can discuss this with an open-mind. Going through an abortion is so much more than a women's right. As for birth control, pregnancy test, certain infection testing can all be done with ones doctor, or even over the counter. I am not sure why people believe only PP provides this.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:05 AM

23,855 posts, read 13,880,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I agree this topic is to controversial to even begin a good conversation. I do believe Santorum's views were even too much for Republicans to take him seriously. Seems to me Planned Parenthood has been given an open door to give their side as to why a woman should seek abortion. If people have never been inside an abortion clinic or had an abortion, I am not sure how one can discuss this with an open-mind. Going through an abortion is so much more than a women's right. As for birth control, pregnancy test, certain infection testing can all be done with ones doctor, or even over the counter. I am not sure why people believe only PP provides this.
No one believes that only PP provides those services. What they believe is that the presence of a PP clinic ensures open access to contraceptive and abortion services.

I live in one of the most liberal areas in one of the bluest states. Here, Catholics are buying up medical clinics and hospitals everywhere they can. And if a doctor wants to practice in one of those clinics or have admitting privileges to one of those hospitals, s/he may not prescribe contraceptives, perform sterilizations or abortions, or offer a patient physician-assisted suicide - anywhere. IOW, if such a doctor were to perform an abortion in a non-Catholic hospital or prescribe for a person wanting physician-assisted suicide, that doctor would lose admitting privileges to Catholic hospitals.

On the island where I live, this is a serious issue - the largest clinic was recently purchased by a Catholic health care organization. As a long time reproductive choice supporter, I really don't want to support this organization, even though I am well past needing contraception or abortion. I am looking into the smaller practices here, because I want to make sure that I will have access to physician-assisted suicide should I feel the need. But that won't address the issue of hospital care.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:54 AM

17,468 posts, read 13,006,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
No one believes that only PP provides those services. What they believe is that the presence of a PP clinic ensures open access to contraceptive and abortion services.

I live in one of the most liberal areas in one of the bluest states. Here, Catholics are buying up medical clinics and hospitals everywhere they can. And if a doctor wants to practice in one of those clinics or have admitting privileges to one of those hospitals, s/he may not prescribe contraceptives, perform sterilizations or abortions, or offer a patient physician-assisted suicide - anywhere. IOW, if such a doctor were to perform an abortion in a non-Catholic hospital or prescribe for a person wanting physician-assisted suicide, that doctor would lose admitting privileges to Catholic hospitals.

On the island where I live, this is a serious issue - the largest clinic was recently purchased by a Catholic health care organization. As a long time reproductive choice supporter, I really don't want to support this organization, even though I am well past needing contraception or abortion. I am looking into the smaller practices here, because I want to make sure that I will have access to physician-assisted suicide should I feel the need. But that won't address the issue of hospital care.
You know I thought this might be just in my area. I have noticed this also wonder why so many hospitals are becoming Catholic hospitals, even small clinics. In one part of California that I am from those hospitals are all run by the Seventh Day Adventist........does make one wonder. I for one haven't used a medical hospital doctor since having my last child. I could never find a woman doctor who would think outside the box of her medical career. I have been seeing a female doctor who believes in standard medical procedures when her homeopathic procedures won't work. Plus, the payments have always been made with my own money, insurance companies fail to see these doctors as "real doctors."

I for one have nothing against assisted suicide, this is a very personal choice and it should be considered a personal choice.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
They interpret law, if they're is a a law that says No pink houses, they can say that by pink they mean blue and guess what no blue houses.

It's an exaggeration but in abortion you are dealing with nuances that are clearly defined, when does life start that sort of thing.
Yeah, lets not deal in exaggerations.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:

So only women of means, who could afford to travel to another state, could exercise their rights?
That's the way it is where I live NOW. The closest clinic is in the next state over.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:57 PM

14,268 posts, read 19,028,457 times
Quote:

Annie, in 2012 I rented a private room from a man who had very different political views and we'd often discuss politics. (Bad idea.) I soon learned that that this 70-something man wasn't even registered to vote. You should have seen my reaction. He registered and told me he only did it to make sure my vote didn't count, although he enjoyed pushing my buttons. Actually, I encouraged him to register because I think everyone should vote, but I don't want to veer off topic.

Anyway, he kept saying he was Republican and ranted on and on how people who vote for Obama are only doing it for the free cell phones and sneakers. I honestly don't remember why we began talking about abortion, but he told me he had paid for 3 of them. So I asked how he could be anti-abortion and he told me he wasn't morally, but he didn't want his taxes to pay for them and "if it's illegal in the U.S. a woman can always fly to a country in Europe where it's legal."

I wanted to tell this story not only to show that people are hypocrites, but that many people with money are clueless when it comes to the struggles of the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies