Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 04:46 PM

9,930 posts, read 7,858,787 times

Advertisements

Hi, wondering what you feeling is on eliminating affirmative action? I feel the only protected class by affirmative action should be Indians living on Reservations in America; should be open to free education most definitely. Additionally, job's/college's so forth should not ask your race. However, do feel gender should be asked and should keep at least a balance of 40/60 to 50/50. Shouldn't be more than a 20% gap difference of people of a certain gender.

Feel job's/college' should be based off merit and the top 10%/20%.

What's your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 04:49 PM

27,306 posts, read 16,372,867 times
No affirmative action at all. Period.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:19 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,134,685 times
Affirmative action shouldn't be necessary. If an employer is actually unwilling to hire different races or different genders, the don't deserve employees and I want their business to fail.

If I were hiring people, I wouldn't ask their gender or race or religion. Colleges also shouldn't ask. They should just accept people who worked to get to that point.

That's of course in an ideal world, which we don't live in. None the less, we can at least try to get people to understand that your value as a person does not come from skin color or gender. People who can't see that are trash, in my view. They've yet to show me a quality they have that we need as a society anyway.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:20 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,902,365 times
I am against discrimination in all forms.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:22 PM

45,546 posts, read 26,869,826 times
In a free society employers can discriminate at will

Old 11-10-2015, 05:22 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,588,101 times
There should be Affirmative Action, and it should apply to all US Citizens.

Currently when a person on a visa and a US citizen apply for a job, there is no policy that states that with everything else being equal, a US Citizen should get priority over the candidate on any type of visa. This needs to change. Affirmative Action is needed for all US Citizens.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:51 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,138,490 times
How about a good start would be for white employers to stop being *******s and canning any resume with an "ethnic" name on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post

Currently when a person on a visa and a US citizen apply for a job, there is no policy that states that with everything else being equal, a US Citizen should get priority over the candidate on any type of visa. This needs to change. Affirmative Action is needed for all US Citizens.
Well, I think it's a good idea to make an exception for foreign spouses, except that it should be restricted to 40% female foreign applicants and 60% male foreign applicants from each country.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:25 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,430,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post

That would be nice, sadly the recruiters here rarely even bring Americans up as candidates to be interviewed, anyone with an unpronounceable Indian name will get their foot in the door every time though. 3/4 of the people we hired in the last 3 months have been Indians on visas.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:47 PM

19,332 posts, read 17,368,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hi, wondering what you feeling is on eliminating affirmative action? I feel the only protected class by affirmative action should be Indians living on Reservations in America; should be open to free education most definitely. Additionally, job's/college's so forth should not ask your race. However, do feel gender should be asked and should keep at least a balance of 40/60 to 50/50. Shouldn't be more than a 20% gap difference of people of a certain gender.

Feel job's/college' should be based off merit and the top 10%/20%.

What's your thoughts?
Affirmative action based on race is inherently ineffective, just because someone is of a "minority status" doesn't mean they have been disadvantaged in their upbringing. I would support assistance for those that are economically disadvantage meaning the poor kid from city projects is considered along with the dirt farmers kid in Podunk. For those of Native American decent what percentage should a person be to claim this? Do they have to live on the reservation?

Old 11-10-2015, 06:48 PM

7,654 posts, read 10,048,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
No affirmative action at all. Period.
My goodness, we agree on something. LOL

Although I think we may need "reverse affirmative action" as white americans are more and more discriminated against by the new immigrants who are filling many of the decision making jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies