Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 02:02 PM

57,409 posts, read 26,370,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Laws are not designed to stop people from doing things, they are to provide punishment for those that do said things. If you don't provide punishment when a law is broken (as in my OP) there isn't much point in having the law to begin with. If there was a poster case for having the straw purchase law this would be it, yet the offender received no real punishment.
Well using that logic we shouldn't have speed limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 02:10 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,049,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well using that logic we shouldn't have speed limits.
Yeah, except you completely missed the point

Speed limits are law, and a heavily enforced one at that, I don't see how that is even remotely related to my comment.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:23 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,138,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
If I want to sell my brother a hand gun I can only do it thru an FFL for it to be a legal transaction. Long guns can be sold privately without a background check.
Why would you continue to live in such a place?

Old 11-08-2015, 02:42 PM

39,906 posts, read 26,604,517 times
Quote:
Making new ones to also not enforce isn't going to accomplish anything.

This woman admitted to a straw purchase which put a gun in her felon boyfriend's hands, which he used to kill a police officer. She got no jail time at all. Quite the deterrent to future straw purchasers

Police oppose probation sentence given to buyer of gun used to kill Kerrie Orozco - Omaha.com: Crime & Courts
The norm for this administration. Refuse to punish criminals, heck, the admin makes heroes out of criminals. You don't expect them to actually lock one up do you? That's a probable Dem voter.

The goal isn't to stop crime, let alone lock up criminals. The goal is to scapegoat criminal acts on guns and take rights away from the law abiding.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:45 PM

57,409 posts, read 26,370,766 times
Quote:
Yeah, except you completely missed the point

Speed limits are law, and a heavily enforced one at that, I don't see how that is even remotely related to my comment.
Keep slapping your head, I see more than a few people speeding so it's not being enforced. If you don't punish speeders when they break the law then it's useless to have speed limits, right.
What did I miss?

Old 11-08-2015, 02:46 PM

37,216 posts, read 41,428,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkinhead View Post
Guns are only meant to kill.
Did you know you can "kill" paper targets with a gun? Shoot clay pigeons with one? Plink tin cans with one?

People use guns for self defense in incidents where no shots are fired at all.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:03 PM

37,282 posts, read 19,292,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
With so many racists to hunt down Obamas justice department just doesn't have time to prosecute every straw purchase or illegal purchase attempt.
A lot of them are the same people.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:22 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,481,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
In My state all hand gun sales must go through an FFL.In my state the background check is a phone call and takes 5 minutes.
How much do they ding you. Around here its $70... for a gun that could cost as low as $189 new.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:47 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,388,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
Even when the laws are enforced, the penalties are not harsh enough
You can thank Obama and his administration for that. Regardless of what any other administration has done the people in charge today are not doing their duty.

Quote:
“And to your point, Mr. Baker, regarding the lack of prosecutions on lying on Form 4473s, we simply don’t have the time or manpower to prosecute everybody who lies on a form, that checks a wrong box, that answers a question inaccurately.” - Vice President Joe Biden
Lying on the form is a felony. We don't need more gun laws when the government refuses to enforce existing laws.

Old 11-08-2015, 04:57 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,049,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Keep slapping your head, I see more than a few people speeding so it's not being enforced. If you don't punish speeders when they break the law then it's useless to have speed limits, right.
What did I miss?
Your argument is pointless. Speeders get punished when they get caught, there are police patrols and radar guns that are used specifically to catch speeders. Unlike you apparently, cops can't be everywhere at once.

You still miss the entire point of this thread, this woman GOT caught breaking numerous federal laws and received no punishment. Try to catch up here, we'll slow down a bit for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies