Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 03:21 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,122,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
In My state all hand gun sales must go through an FFL.In my state the background check is a phone call and takes 5 minutes.
We don't know that your State is, and you for some reason don't mention whether you are referring to a retail or private sale.
In my State(s) of Virginia and Louisiana, no docs are required for a private transfer, nor should there be. If I buy a rifle as a gift or decide to bestow one of my weapons in my collection to my brother, there is nothing required. This is how it should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 05:07 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkinhead View Post
Guns are only meant to kill.
This makes me wonder why none of my guns have killed anyone

Old 11-08-2015, 05:16 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Background checks are not going to stop illegal straw purchases. There are adequate laws already in place.
Laws are not designed to stop people from doing things, they are to provide punishment for those that do said things. If you don't provide punishment when a law is broken (as in my OP) there isn't much point in having the law to begin with. If there was a poster case for having the straw purchase law this would be it, yet the offender received no real punishment.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:52 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Making new ones to also not enforce isn't going to accomplish anything.

This woman admitted to a straw purchase which put a gun in her felon boyfriend's hands, which he used to kill a police officer. She got no jail time at all. Quite the deterrent to future straw purchasers

Police oppose probation sentence given to buyer of gun used to kill Kerrie Orozco - Omaha.com: Crime & Courts

All gun laws on the books, are unconstitutional.

Shall not be infringed.... Got infringed......................................... .............

Old 11-08-2015, 05:53 AM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkinhead View Post
Guns are only meant to kill.

We need to ban guns. A country with no crime would be amazing.
"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
-John
Wayne

Old 11-08-2015, 06:21 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
I posted this a while ago; but it is directly relevant to this thread, so I will post it again.

1.) Person walks into a Licensed Gun store and purchases a firearm, this is done through a licensed FFL dealer, a background check is performed.

2.) Person walks up to a table at a gunshow, in most cases this is a licensed FFL deal, purchases a firearm, same background check is performed.

3.) Private sale of a firearm between Party A and Party B. Party A are you "ABC person"? Party B "Why Yes I am, here is my ID to prove it" : Party A are you "wanted for any crimes" ? Party B "No I have a clean Record, I am not wanted for any crimes" In most states that is the extent of what is required. *** special Note I am not objectionable to going to a Licensed FFL dealer or the State Police for this step, But at this point is it not mandatory.

4.) Straw type of purchase, which is where about 40% if the illegal guns are traced back to. Party C and Part D. Party C is lawful person, allowed to purchase a firearm without a problem and can pass a background check without issue. Party D is a FELLON, not able to purchase a firearm. Party D goes to Party C, I will give you $1500 Dollars to purchase this Glock 17, that cost new $630 dollars, I am not allowed to buy it legally, so you Party C buy it for me, and you can keep the difference. That is a true straw purchase. Party C buying a firearm for someone knowing that they cannot purchase the same firearm on their own.

The Private Party Sale or the "So Called gun Show Loophole" is when you get thousands of people with the same likes and tastes in one area, the odds increase of being able to sell a firearm for a private sale between two parties by sheer number. Again is not against the law, just increasing your odds of selling a firearm by the number of people in the same location.

All of the private Sales that I have done over the last several years, was with people that I already work with, and in each case they had to be background checked and fingerprinted the job in the first place. So I already knew these people, and had no problem selling a firearm to them.

I see no point in getting a background check for Family, or friends that I have known half of my life. But I do see the value in getting a background check on a private sale for a person I just met.

The way the law is now, if I sell a firearm to a person, I am done, my responsibility to that transaction ends, as long as I keep a record of who I sold it too. The way many people would like the LAW CHANGED would be for me to be 100% responsible for that sale and tracking where it goes after I have sold it, which is not acceptable.

As for the True Straw Purchase, go after the people who are knowingly breaking the current laws and punish them; I have not broken any laws so Don't restrict me.
So how do you really know the people you are selling guns to, just because you know them from work? There are people that sold guns to neighbors and relatives and it certainly ended badly, what makes you an expert? There are plenty of relatives that thought they could trust a family member and it turns out they knew nothing about them.

By the way just because someone got a was finger printed for a job doesn't mean they can own a gun unless you work for certain law enforcement agencies.

You just don't want to be inconvenienced so you would rather a broken system remain in place.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:27 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,424,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
here in arizona she would have gotten ten years minimum.
Whats funny is almost ALL free states have adopted the 10 yr minimum for straw purchases, yet none of the liberal run gun control states have. Guess it all comes down to the mentality of not punishing criminals and making the law abiding pay while creating crime to use to rationalize more gun control.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:29 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
We don't know that your State is, and you for some reason don't mention whether you are referring to a retail or private sale.
In my State(s) of Virginia and Louisiana, no docs are required for a private transfer, nor should there be. If I buy a rifle as a gift or decide to bestow one of my weapons in my collection to my brother, there is nothing required. This is how it should be.
If I want to sell my brother a hand gun I can only do it thru an FFL for it to be a legal transaction. Long guns can be sold privately without a background check.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:39 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
If I want to sell my brother a hand gun I can only do it thru an FFL for it to be a legal transaction. Long guns can be sold privately without a background check.
I don't know what state you're in, but I will guarantee you that handgun sales occur in your state every day that there is no background check what so ever. Is it legal in your state? Probably not. The question is how do you enforce such a law. Fact is, you don't. A law is not worth anymore than the ability to enforce it.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:42 AM

45,231 posts, read 26,457,645 times
The fed government has no constitutional authority to enact any gun law. Rescind them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies