Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 06:48 AM

59,543 posts, read 27,874,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Actually the chronic disruptions should be enough to kick out the kids depriving the others of an education.

We need alternate schools to seperate the wheat from the chaffe, not the shore patrol or henry kissinger.
We need "reform" schools back.

Bad students should NOT be allowed to disrupt classes and deny the other kids a chance to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 08:47 AM

13,020 posts, read 13,834,288 times
Adolescents who need policing don’t belong in public schools. Maybe sometime between the fifth and seventh grade school officials need to sit down with parents and tell them “your kid may not make the team” so to speak. And tell them to start looking for some alternative to a traditional public high school experience for their child. This puts the responsibility on the parents to shape the student up in a year or two or face the reality that it’s not the schools responsibility to deal with violent kids, it’s the responsibility of the parents and police.

I remember being part of the village trying to raise unruly children. It was not uncommon for a single kid to have; drug counselors, mental health counseling, family therapy, house parents, community contacts, school counselors, home bound educators, social workers and still turn out to be a murderer or an inmate somewhere, a total waste of resources other than providing jobs for a lot of people. Some of them eventually came around by their late thirties or forties but by that time some of them have already had kids who are now in the system. The kids who did well, you knew they were going to do okay by the time they were 13 or 14.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:50 AM

45,536 posts, read 26,818,642 times
Yes cops belong in schools, since so many seem ignorant of the very laws they are enforcing or the force used in carrying out. Maybe a class or two on the constitution for starters.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:47 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,998,103 times
When police became "resource officers" in schools, the civil right of students were often denied. This is why the Supreme court ruled on this in 2011:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/9-11121.ZS.html

Quote:
A uniformed police officer on detail to the school took J. D. B. from his classroom to a closed-door conference room, where police and school administrators questioned him for at least 30 minutes. Before beginning, they did not give him Miranda warnings or the opportunity to call his grandmother, his legal guardian, nor tell him he was free to leave the room.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yes cops belong in schools, since so many seem ignorant of the very laws they are enforcing or the force used in carrying out. Maybe a class or two on the constitution for starters.
How about starting with violation of civil rights?

https://www.aclu.org/files/pdfs/raci...ginschools.pdf

Old 10-31-2015, 10:15 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,993,111 times
Things that you don't read in the papers or get from the news.

Do you realize that there are many officers that are called into homes because either the children are acting up, won't go to school, or the parents simply can't control the child. Mostly (single female parent) Yes, at 7:30AM, the officer walks into the home and is told by the parent to make their child go to school. I can't tell you the number of times I have done this and how many times for the same family.

That's the problem with everything being so 20/20 today. There are so many inner workings that most people are not privy to, much less, experts in these career fields. See, it's one thing to be behind the computer analyzing. But to be exposed to this stuff on an extreme and dangerous level is totally different and people respond differently.

We can test and train police as RSO to death. But nobody really knows how each person is going to react to an incident. On my first day on the job, I investigated a natural death- of a man (48) who had a heart attack while using the toilet. He literally was still seated and his entire family (wife and kids) saw him. On top of that, I was being yelled at by my field training officer- so imagine my stress levels... That night I called my father and told him I loved him.

But having been a prior sgt of marines, I was able to truck on. Not everyone can adjust well and be further exposed to more and more to this BUT many remain by default because of benefits and financial security.

Not giving anyone a pass but a better solution I believe is to make the RSO permanent, not as a specialized unit after 5 years of the officer being jaded on the streets... Going from the hard knock streets to then being a RSO is a world of a difference. There aren't many evaluations done in order to assist in channeling those 5 years of human disruption. It's like an infantry army reservist going on a 6 month deployment to Iraq but then coming back to his civilian office job sitting at a desk 9-5. How much of a disruption do you think that is that nobody, not even psychologists are aware of?

This information, you won't get anywhere....

Old 10-31-2015, 10:34 AM

If there are going to be "resource officers" in schools, they won't get respect from kids by beating them. These officers should get professional training on how to handle school related incidents. Handcuffing a child to a chair is third world.

ACLU: Deputy sued for handcuffing disabled children - CNN.com

Old 10-31-2015, 11:56 AM

59,543 posts, read 27,874,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If there are going to be "resource officers" in schools, they won't get respect from kids by beating them. These officers should get professional training on how to handle school related incidents. Handcuffing a child to a chair is third world.

ACLU: Deputy sued for handcuffing disabled children - CNN.com
"Handcuffing a child to a chair is third world."

'When in Rome, do like the Romans"

When these punks act like being in the jungle, they should be treated like the animals they are.

Before being attacked for being a racist, this goes foe WHITES and HISPANICS as well.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,959,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The real sad part about all of this is teachers and other school officials CANNOT control their students and CAN'T discipline them, have to resort to calling the police.
Our hands are tied. We are only legally allowed to "use our words".
Only the SRO (or counselor if there is no SRO at the school) can physically touch a child to remove them or physically restrain them.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Our hands are tied. We are only legally allowed to "use our words".
Only the SRO (or counselor if there is no SRO at the school) can physically touch a child to remove them or physically restrain them.
The problem is it has gotten out of control. Cops think they are working at a prison!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9oBO0hYm0E
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies