Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 07:19 PM

19,822 posts, read 10,267,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
A solid liberal arts education gives you good verbal communication, writing and critical thinking skills. Those things are very valuable in the workplace. Not to mention that a BA degree is excellent preparation for an MBA, Law School, a PhD and a host of other graduate degrees. There's a lot more political science and history majors in top law schools and MBA programs than there are engineers.
How long has it been since you were in college? Many of the young students in my classes are barely literate enough to spell their own names. I am in a history class where over 60% failed the first test. One young lady got a score of 2 out of a possible 94.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 07:36 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,806,705 times
Myth #6: Jobs can be brought back

Automation is quickly making human labor obsolete and it will only increase with time. If there is no work for people, they can't consume. If people can't consume, Capitalism is toast.

You need to stop trying to hold on to the past and face the facts. Capitalism is phasing itself out. We may not even have a use for a monetary system in the future.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:50 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,117,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
what you wrote is nothing natural. it's a set of rules that you seem to have in mind and want to impose on people. the reality has been this way for a very long time, tested by the long history of human evolution and time. i didn't even claim it to be natural, and yet you claimed your artificial system to be natural? i can't get over the irony that you want to "change" the system to "natural."

you want to talk about natural? the scientific evidence of evolution. evolution is what's natural.
You're like the perfect American. All you heard me say was "COMMUNISM" because I'm challenging your view and giving a critique of our system.

The best part, I didn't even ****ing propose something. I told you what economists thought and that there a problems with our. But I'm guessing that because I dared talk **** about God (yes, capitalism is America's god), you just assumed I want a communist revolution. Not only did I not propose something, I didn't claim it was natural. All I did was say your view isn't. Which, while you didn't use the word natural, claiming it's a reality is the same exact thing.

So lets look at your realistic for a second. If we're to condense them, essentially you're saying that successes and failures happen, you won't enjoy your work, college degrees don't necessarily matter, and education is pointless (which is both point 4 and 5 which are the same thing). These have not always been true. Not even in Western Civilization, which is typically synonymous with the humanity in the arrogant Western view of things.

Your first point is accurate. Successes and failures do happen. I don't necessarily agree with your first place/last place view, since not everyone is after the same goals and what constitutes as success and failure at least has some room for subjectivity. Regardless, everyone ****s up sometimes, and that's not something I disagree with.

Your second point is false. Anyone can do what they love. You just have to be good at it. Some people are too lazy to put the effort into doing it and will never be good as a result. I know someone like this. But ultimately, if you actually love doing it, you'll put the effort in. It also seems you're looking at this from a completely black and white view. You can go into the field you want and do the job you want and still not enjoy it 100% of the time. The unfortunate circumstance of the modern professional world means you're gonna work for employers who are basically Nazis and that's entirely out of your hands. Some are lucky enough to avoid it, but others can't. But you can do what you love.

Your third point isn't technically wrong, but it's also not really critical of the overall system, which is incredibly recent. The idea that college exists only as a means to get a high paying job is extremely modern; within the last century modern. This means it hasn't always been true. In fact, there are still people alive who came from an era where that wasn't true.

And that bleeds right into your fourth point about the value of education. We don't value intelligence. Intelligence isn't profitable. Why the **** not though? From an outside perspective, we should value intelligence way more than we do. They drive innovation, which is another word for change, which is probably why we don't value them. Intellectuals usually say things we aren't always ready to here. It's why an anti-evolution movement even exists because the top evolutionary scientists are usually atheists. And America is still very religious, which we also value more than intelligence, which is objectively a bad thing.

The issue with these last two realities is that you aren't wrong, but you should be and we, including you, should want you to be. But this is why I said you're the perfect American. Instead of being pissed about this insane system that doesn't value intellect, is completely ok with misery, and frankly doesn't care about anything other than the economy, you just say 'that's the way it is.' Which if you were in a position of power where you benefit from the current system, isn't that the way you'd want everyone to think about it? Which is precisely why you shouldn't. But I criticized it and your reaction is to accuse me of imposing something on people, which is the exact cop-out argument that sustains this system.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:10 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,232,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
A solid liberal arts education gives you good verbal communication, writing and critical thinking skills. Those things are very valuable in the workplace. Not to mention that a BA degree is excellent preparation for an MBA, Law School, a PhD and a host of other graduate degrees. There's a lot more political science and history majors in top law schools and MBA programs than there are engineers.
a solid liberal arts education does that. But are these degrees solid? That's the issue.

Most aren't solid. A big part of the problem is how the liberal arts are taught. In many schools, for example, if you ask faculty HOW they teach, they immediately talk like idiots who know nothing about teaching. What do they tell you? They tell you WHAT they teach, a list of content items. It goes on and on, if you are still not satisifed, they'll throw in "safe words" that promise their political leanings, such as asian american literature, community service learning," but stop them.

HOW. HOW do you teach. You know, there is this thing called pedagogy. Have you taken pedagogy training? Have you been taught about pedagogy? You often get a blank stare, followed by a rhetorical make-up statement about pedagogy. The statement looks well rounded, sounds very good, but can be made by someone who knows little about the subject.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
You're like the perfect American. All you heard me say was "COMMUNISM" because I'm challenging your view and giving a critique of our system.

The best part, I didn't even ****ing propose something. I told you what economists thought and that there a problems with our. But I'm guessing that because I dared talk **** about God (yes, capitalism is America's god), you just assumed I want a communist revolution. Not only did I not propose something, I didn't claim it was natural. All I did was say your view isn't. Which, while you didn't use the word natural, claiming it's a reality is the same exact thing.

So lets look at your realistic for a second. If we're to condense them, essentially you're saying that successes and failures happen, you won't enjoy your work, college degrees don't necessarily matter, and education is pointless (which is both point 4 and 5 which are the same thing). These have not always been true. Not even in Western Civilization, which is typically synonymous with the humanity in the arrogant Western view of things.

Your first point is accurate. Successes and failures do happen. I don't necessarily agree with your first place/last place view, since not everyone is after the same goals and what constitutes as success and failure at least has some room for subjectivity. Regardless, everyone ****s up sometimes, and that's not something I disagree with.

Your second point is false. Anyone can do what they love. You just have to be good at it. Some people are too lazy to put the effort into doing it and will never be good as a result. I know someone like this. But ultimately, if you actually love doing it, you'll put the effort in. It also seems you're looking at this from a completely black and white view. You can go into the field you want and do the job you want and still not enjoy it 100% of the time. The unfortunate circumstance of the modern professional world means you're gonna work for employers who are basically Nazis and that's entirely out of your hands. Some are lucky enough to avoid it, but others can't. But you can do what you love.

Your third point isn't technically wrong, but it's also not really critical of the overall system, which is incredibly recent. The idea that college exists only as a means to get a high paying job is extremely modern; within the last century modern. This means it hasn't always been true. In fact, there are still people alive who came from an era where that wasn't true.

And that bleeds right into your fourth point about the value of education. We don't value intelligence. Intelligence isn't profitable. Why the **** not though? From an outside perspective, we should value intelligence way more than we do. They drive innovation, which is another word for change, which is probably why we don't value them. Intellectuals usually say things we aren't always ready to here. It's why an anti-evolution movement even exists because the top evolutionary scientists are usually atheists. And America is still very religious, which we also value more than intelligence, which is objectively a bad thing.

The issue with these last two realities is that you aren't wrong, but you should be and we, including you, should want you to be. But this is why I said you're the perfect American. Instead of being pissed about this insane system that doesn't value intellect, is completely ok with misery, and frankly doesn't care about anything other than the economy, you just say 'that's the way it is.' Which if you were in a position of power where you benefit from the current system, isn't that the way you'd want everyone to think about it? Which is precisely why you shouldn't. But I criticized it and your reaction is to accuse me of imposing something on people, which is the exact cop-out argument that sustains this system.
You are not on the same spectrum with me.

ANd your last paragraph is quite nonsense. All I said was reality. You said the realities aren't wrong, but should be. That's not the topic. You are not interested in reality, but want to add your "should" agendas to it. This was a talk about reality, not intention. And you still don't think that you proposed something. DIdn't you say that the last two realities should be wrong? Isn't that a position?

You also seem to completely misunderstand some of my points. Who said education is pointless? To take my statements to that extreme is just wholesomely false. If anything, it is that education is highly important but you must know how to do it. What is pointless is acquiring inflated grades without learning anything and breaking your bank. You also got it wrong saying that intelligence isn't profitable. You have apparently missed the last 30 years, if not the entire history. Intelligence has always been driving industrialization and innovation. From the light bulb to the technology that we have today, intelligence drives the invention, the technology transfer, the business operations, and R&D. Intelligence is at the heart of Silicon Valley and Wall Street. And they are competitive enough to weed out those who aren't intelligent enough. Plenty of them in the arts and the humanities getting inflated grades. That is how far you have misunderstood my statements. To the complete opposite.

Your statements about how you can do what you love is entirely irrelevant and perhaps silly at least. What you can do is not solely what you want to do, and for a "should-person," you don't necessarily understand that. You can go murder someone too, but there would be consequences after you are done. What you do is always in the context of what happens afterwards. There is no such a thing as just doing without thinking about consequences. Oh wait, that is what fiscal irresponsibility is about. Do what you love and make other people pay for it. Whether they do what they love, there is no mentioning except "you can do what you love too," an empty and pointless statement. You are not going to pick up people's broken pieces but your fellow citizens have to pick up yours.

This is why reality isn't bad, despite how you do not lik them and want to change them. Your "not natural" comment was false, and you have no definition of what is natural. But one thing you said perhaps invalidates your "natural" point. You said college had a different meaning in the past. But that was a very different era, with different economic conditions. The good old days of college were also a short period. It wasn't always the case either. What has stood the test of time is that you have to adapt to the world, and that reality that you would gain so much more focusing on adapting rather than utopian dreams. That reality has a much longer history. It is much closer to what is natural to humans.

Your point about atheism sounds quite sour grape. As an atheist, I certainly do not have your level of despise for religion. I simply do not care about religion much, but I have a much more "live and let live" attitude. Atheism didn't have a glorious history, contrary to the fantasies of pushy atheist activists. At the height of communism, the weekly meetings and the worshipping of the only political party resembled incredibly the practice of Christianality. If anything, the athesists there adopted the most typical religious practice and went far worse than your average chocaloate-eating smilely Lutheran in the midwest. The most painful tragedy is that such a supposedly glorious experiment of atheism across the iron curtain world brought out the worst crimes of humans, championed with the distinctive torch of the political left. But the most hilarious award, nonetheless, goes to these same countries after the left ran out of everybody's money. Guess what, the bad-old-religions have returned, with all too typical practices that echoes the past before the past. Many ordinary graduates from left-wing brainwashing re-education camps went straight back to church.

Last edited by Costaexpress; 10-19-2015 at 09:07 PM..

Old 10-19-2015, 08:46 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,689,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
How long has it been since you were in college? Many of the young students in my classes are barely literate enough to spell their own names. I am in a history class where over 60% failed the first test. One young lady got a score of 2 out of a possible 94.
I'm sorry you work at a crappy college.

I graduated in 2010 with a B.A. in Urban Studies. I went on to get a Masters in Real Estate and now work at a real estate investment company and oversee a portfolio of low income housing properties across the country.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post

I graduated in 2010 with a B.A. in Urban Studies. I went on to get a Masters in Real Estate and now work at a real estate investment company and oversee a portfolio of low income housing properties across the country.
That is a Master's in Real Estate, dear.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:19 PM

9,692 posts, read 7,449,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post

portfolio of low income housing properties across the country.

isnt low income and real estate an oxymoron.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
That is a Master's in Real Estate, dear.
Guess what one of the prerequisites for getting a masters degree is?

Old 10-19-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
isnt low income and real estate an oxymoron.
Google is your friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies