Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 10:52 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,960,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
He checked that he WAS buying it for himself. That, alone, is a federal felony for him. The straw buyer (and of course the shooter) are the guilty parties. Unless you want to blame the FBI who (presumably, since the article didn't mention if a NICS check was done, hence crap news source (though AP might have included that and Puffpoo might have edited it out) approved the transfer.

Had the buyer indicated that he was buying the gun for someone else, the purchase would not have been completed. Have you got any source that actually shows him doing so when he completed the form?

No, he checked that he was not buying for himself and yet the gun retailer still sold him the gun.

Quote:
They failed to stop a sale that frankly reeked with doubt," said Dunphy. "A gun dealer can't wash his hands, walk away from his job and turn a blind eye. The risk to the public is too great."

He laid out what he called telltale signs of a straw buy: Burton was in the store and pointed to the gun he wanted; Collins initially marked that he was not the buyer of the gun on the form, but was allowed to change that — and also change his address; Collins and Burton left the store to get more cash to pay for the gun; Collins didn't present an ID when he picked up the gun.

James Vogts, attorney for Badger Guns and Allan, said it made no sense that the clerk would sell a gun to someone he suspected of being an illegal buyer.
http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/wat...332166222.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 11:34 PM

24,521 posts, read 23,258,696 times
Now they can go after San Francisco for that illegal alien who killed that woman. The federal government will also be liable for every crime a released illegal commits.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:27 AM

45,942 posts, read 61,411,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The dude who did the straw purchase wasn't even smart enough to not check the "no" box to the question, 'Are you the actual buyer?" He checked the "no" box, yet the gun shop still sold him the gun.

Badger Guns clerk who sold gun used to shoot police officers testifies | Local News - WISN Home
If he did what I bolded then the store did perform a background check. Where it fell down, and was rightfully held accountable, was not checking it. It's the only answer on the series of questions which is yes so it's easy to spot.

Quote:
Hopefully, this verdict will send a message to those sellers that choose not to do required background checks and screenings.
Your not knowing much about what you rant about concerning guns and gun sales is encapsulated when one looks at these two posts I quoted.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:53 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,097,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
If the gun shop sold a gun to someone who legally could not have it they should be held responsible just like a bar is when they don't check an ID and the underage kid they just sold to wraps his moms car around a tree on the way home.

Another angle on this a guy buys a car at a dealership then hands the keys to his drunk buddy who drives it head on into a school bus which bursts into flames. Does the car dealership get sued?

In the end Illegal should be illegal and if someone violates the law there should be repercussions for it.
The point is that they sold to someone that passed a background check and was legal to buy it.
The problem was he was not buying it for himself which is a question asked on the 4473 background check form that is filled out by the purchaser. The store cannot sell it to you if you are purchasing for someone else.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
The point is that they sold to someone that passed a background check and was legal to buy it.
The problem was he was not buying it for himself which is a question asked on the 4473 background check form that is filled out by the purchaser. The store cannot sell it to you if you are purchasing for someone else.
To top it off, the kid that this straw purchaser was buying for, was with him in the store and in front of the clerk said to the straw purchaser, "I want that gun."

Old 10-14-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If he did what I bolded then the store did perform a background check. Where it fell down, and was rightfully held accountable, was not checking it. It's the only answer on the series of questions which is yes so it's easy to spot.

Your not knowing much about what you rant about concerning guns and gun sales is encapsulated when one looks at these two posts I quoted.
Does checking a buyer's ID qualify as part of back ground checks? Those who want more regulations to control guns getting into the hands of criminals or mentally unstable, are constantly being told that we need to enforce the laws that already exist. When we enforce these laws by going after the law breakers, then the NRA gun nuts cry foul!

Lets all agree that we must enforce the gun laws that currently exist and make that a starting point.

Quote:
He laid out what he called telltale signs of a straw buy: Burton was in the store and pointed to the gun he wanted; Collins initially marked that he was not the buyer of the gun on the form, but was allowed to change that — and also change his address; Collins and Burton left the store to get more cash to pay for the gun; Collins didn't present an ID when he picked up the gun.
Wiped Clean | A Journal Sentinel Watchdog Update - Was sale routine or negligent? Badger Guns case reaches jury

Old 10-14-2015, 09:12 AM

45,942 posts, read 61,411,061 times
Quote:
Does checking a buyer's ID qualify as part of back ground checks? Those who want more regulations to control guns getting into the hands of criminals or mentally unstable, are constantly being told that we need to enforce the laws that already exist. When we go after the law breakers, they gun nuts cry foul!

Lets all agree that we must enforce the gun laws that currently exist and make that a starting point.

Wiped Clean | A Journal Sentinel Watchdog Update - Was sale routine or negligent? Badger Guns case reaches jury
I always, always, have to present an ID, so yes. That's at a store owned by a long time friend with whom I worked many years ago and whose cousin I dated.

You ***** if the laws aren't enforced and now you ***** when they are. I don't see anyone saying that shop was picked on and that the enforcement was unfair. You, an admitted gun confiscator, are.

Make up your damned mind if you want to argue.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:13 AM

Who could possibly defend this? Who could possibly take the side of this shady gun shop over two peace officers who were shot in the head? Shops like this need to be closed!

Quote:
This is not the first time this gun store sold a gun to a patron that ended up using the gun to harm others. In fact, law enforcement has linked 537 firearms used at crime scenes and in the lawsuit it was alleged that Badger Guns “ignored several warning signs that the gun used to shoot the officers was being sold to a so-called straw buyer who was illegally purchasing the weapon for someone else.”

Badger Guns is known as the “number one crime gun dealer in America.”
Badger Guns Found Guilty: Sold Firearms Used in 537 Crimes

Old 10-14-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I always, always, have to present an ID, so yes. That's at a store owned by a long time friend with whom I worked many years ago and whose cousin I dated.

You ***** if the laws aren't enforced and now you ***** when they are. I don't see anyone saying that shop was picked on and that the enforcement was unfair. You, an admitted gun confiscator, are.

Make up your damned mind if you want to argue.
Let us keep a cool and clear head when looking at the facts.

Badger Guns Found Guilty: Sold Firearms Used in 537 Crimes

Quote:
A victory for the officers, legal experts say, could bring renewed energy to civil litigation aimed at making the gun industry safer.

The case is part of a new wave of lawsuits — at least 10 are percolating around the country — that focus on gun shops like Badger and accuse them of knowingly permitting illegal sales or of being grossly negligent.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/13/us...ore-trial.html

Old 10-14-2015, 09:19 AM

39,969 posts, read 26,750,394 times
Quote:
No, he checked that he was not buying for himself and yet the gun retailer still sold him the gun.

Collins initially marked that he was not the buyer of the gun on the form, but was allowed to change that. Sounds to me that he did end up checking that he was the buyer at the end. I don't recall any bans on erasing an answer on that form and changing it, on any I've filled out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies