Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2015, 07:46 PM

4,265 posts, read 4,529,100 times

Advertisements

Let's make it Kennewick Man day? Or better yet let's just make it "Ancient Aliens Day" and celebrate one day worldwide? Everyone could use a day off to come to their senses.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:16 AM

51,523 posts, read 37,195,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
you seriously dont consider MLK a leader of the Black community???? He was basically the leader of the civil rights movement....in the South....Please tell me you are fishing for a debate as opposed to being serious....and again, i explained my tweak to Afrique, who has basically said Columbus Day should be renamed white supremacy day
Sorry to disappoint you, but yes, I think he was a great leader of the black community and a great American.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:42 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,362,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Right. but he just happened to have that Americus Vas Navigator along and ended up in America and not some guy named Cathay or Inidcus. No I think they all knew where they were going and what they were going to do when they got there.
I think that you may be referring to Amerigo Vespucci after whom America was named after. However, he didn't sail with Columbus who thought he had sailed to India but Amerigo sailed many years later and then proclaimed that it wasn't India but another continent.

QUOTE: At the invitation of king Manuel I of Portugal, Vespucci participated as observer in several voyages that explored the east coast of South America between 1499 and 1502.

On the first of these voyages he was aboard the ship that discovered that South America extended much further south than previously thought.

The expeditions became widely known in Europe after two accounts attributed to Vespucci were published between 1502 and 1504. In 1507, Martin Waldseemüller produced a world map on which he named the new continent America after the feminine Latin version of Vespucci's first name, which is Americus. In an accompanying book, Waldseemüller published one of the Vespucci accounts, which led to criticism that Vespucci was trying to upset Christopher Columbus' glory. However, the rediscovery in the 18th century of other letters by Vespucci has led to the view that the early published accounts, notably the Soderini Letter, could be fabrications, not by Vespucci, but by others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerigo_Vespucci

Old 10-15-2015, 07:09 AM

89,084 posts, read 85,693,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Sorry to disappoint you, but yes, I think he was a great leader of the black community and a great American.
Yes, his influence benefitted us all. Think about the black people you know and like or even love--without his breaking down of barriers, we might not have had the opportunity to have those people in our lives.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
I think that you may be referring to Amerigo Vespucci after whom America was named after. However, he didn't sail with Columbus who thought he had sailed to India but Amerigo sailed many years later and then proclaimed that it wasn't India but another continent.

QUOTE: At the invitation of king Manuel I of Portugal, Vespucci participated as observer in several voyages that explored the east coast of South America between 1499 and 1502.

On the first of these voyages he was aboard the ship that discovered that South America extended much further south than previously thought.

The expeditions became widely known in Europe after two accounts attributed to Vespucci were published between 1502 and 1504. In 1507, Martin Waldseemüller produced a world map on which he named the new continent America after the feminine Latin version of Vespucci's first name, which is Americus. In an accompanying book, Waldseemüller published one of the Vespucci accounts, which led to criticism that Vespucci was trying to upset Christopher Columbus' glory. However, the rediscovery in the 18th century of other letters by Vespucci has led to the view that the early published accounts, notably the Soderini Letter, could be fabrications, not by Vespucci, but by others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerigo_Vespucci
Thanks for looking that up and posting it. I thought Vespucci explored on different journeys than Columbus, but I didn't get a chance to look it up.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:21 AM

Here's an idea that might satisfy everyone.

Since Columbus's name in Spanish was Colón, we could change the day to National Colonscopy Day, when everyone is reminded to schedule their exams. Free screenings could be given to those segments of society still feeling the effects of the Spanish intrusion into the New World, and without all the shouting and arguing over what a bad guy he was, the rectum will be forever linked with his name.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:54 AM

16,344 posts, read 8,152,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Here's an idea that might satisfy everyone.

Since Columbus's name in Spanish was Colón, we could change the day to National Colonscopy Day, when everyone is reminded to schedule their exams. Free screenings could be given to those segments of society still feeling the effects of the Spanish intrusion into the New World, and without all the shouting and arguing over what a bad guy he was, the rectum will be forever linked with his name.
What is a "colonscopy"? Is that anything like a colonoscopy?

Old 10-15-2015, 08:01 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,362,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
What is a "colonscopy"? Is that anything like a colonoscopy?
Different explorer !
I think that Ipeekin Colonoscopy was a French astronomer who discovered the planet Uranus.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:06 AM

8,515 posts, read 3,789,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Michele da Cuneo, Columbus' childhood friend from Savona, sailed with Columbus during the second voyage and wrote...in a letter that Columbus had provided one of the captured indigenous women to him. He wrote, "While I was in the boat, I captured a very beautiful Carib woman, whom the said Lord Admiral gave to me. When I had taken her to my cabin she was naked—as was their custom. I was filled with a desire to take my pleasure with her and attempted to satisfy my desire. She was unwilling, and so treated me with her nails that I wished I had never begun. But—to cut a long story short—I then took a piece of rope and whipped her soundly, and she let forth such incredible screams that you would not have believed your ears. Eventually we came to such terms, I assure you, that you would have thought that she had been brought up in a school for whores."

Hard to prove? I hardly think so.

I'm about as far from lefty/liberal as you can get without getting into total anarchy, and I don't think CC should be a holiday we celebrate here.

Columbus was imprisoned for brutality and tyranny in his own time, never mind the considerations of the current time. He was later released but stripped of his titles and deprived of the bulk of the [expected] profits he was to receive. He was a sadistic, murderous, thieving [censored] who doesn't deserve any honors. He was not, and is not, a 'hero'.

Columbus never set foot on North America, which he wasn't looking for anyway. He was totally screwed up and his math was wrong despite numerous people who attempted to correct his misconceptions. He was repeatedly denied financing until he finally conned Ferdinand into it. He was lost, and until the day he died he *still* believed he had found India...though no one else did.

Columbus was a dope, and a [censored], and he doesn't deserve a holiday. He should *not* be celebrated. He should not be dropped from the history books, but more accurately depicted as the murderous scum he was.
But but but..... He is a European so its OK. That's why I say name it "supremacy day" because the tianos and Caribs and Arrowoks were just subhuman savages . the fact that Columbus has a holiday in the united States of America in 2015 tells me all I need to know . its as natural as breathing to us. Its an Written rule that nonwhites are inferior and any attrocity committed goes. Ask the Jews and blacks. And that's modern times. Once again. Just be honest guys. How many people did MLK kill or rape? The guy laid his body on the line for EVERYONE...... And took a bullet in the head for it. An AMERICAN hero.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:00 AM

16,344 posts, read 8,152,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
Different explorer !
I think that Ipeekin Colonoscopy was a French astronomer who discovered the planet Uranus.
Wasn't he connected in some way with the Reverend Sho Yo Moon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies