Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2015, 06:46 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,209,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Take a moment and reflect on the Italian portion of my heritage and how some immigrants from Genoa were able to find a home and community I this country despite discrimination and obstacles put in their path.

That despite not wanting to leave Italy and always carrying love and pride for their home country while also fully embracing and loving their new home.

To recognize the contributions of Italians in this country while not marginalizing them.

This also provides a moment to think on modern immigrants and their story.

Columbus Day is only about Columbus to the extent that an immigrant from Genoa had pride in Genoa .... It is much more about Italian immigrants loving this country and immigrants in general
Very well said.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:50 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,626,576 times
Both my high schoolers think Columbus Day is a joke. They tell some pretty funny analogies. They didn't get it from me or their teachers....I think most kids feel that way.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:54 AM

5,663 posts, read 5,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
How about renaming it "Indigenous people day" and keeping the holiday?
Yeah, celebrate instead a bunch of savages barely out of the Stone Age who kept themselves occupied with attacking other similar groups.

If we're going to eliminate Columbus Day, let's just call it National Mattress Sale Day, while also acknowledging car and appliance sales.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:09 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,769,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Native Americans are the most impoverished of all ethnic groups in America.

Highest teen pregnancy rate of any minority group

highest teen suicide rate of any minority group

highest high school drop out rate of any minority group (less then half graduate)

lowest per capita income

1 in 4 live in poverty

1 in 3 are without health insurance.

1 in 3 Native American woman have been raped or the victim of attempted rape

Yeah, they really think they are better off this way.
You're comparing Native Americans to other Americans, but the comparison you need to make is with pre-Columbian societies. Alcoholism is certainly one big negative for Amerinds living today. But by almost any other objective measure you would have to conclude that they have it better than their ancestors.

How do you imagine women lived in America in the year 1400? They almost all got pregnant as teenagers and were old women if they made it to their 30s. The poverty rate, by today's standards of poverty, was 100%. Nobody had an income, went to high school or had health insurance. If you got really sick or badly injured, you suffered and then you died. People fought a lot with neighboring tribes. If your camp was raided you might well be taken captive and raped by most of the men in the other tribe. Then you would work as a slave. Even under the best of circumstances you lived a very rough life. You were cold in the winter, wet when it rained and hungry any time the hunters had bad luck.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:19 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,993,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Happy Columbus Day.

The losers who hate this day and want to name it after the "peace loving tree hugging hippies" fairy tale of the conquered should just shut up and quit ruining my life.
Your life must be pretty pathetic if changing the name of one holiday "ruins" it.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:07 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,762,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Yeah, celebrate instead a bunch of savages barely out of the Stone Age who kept themselves occupied with attacking other similar groups.

If we're going to eliminate Columbus Day, let's just call it National Mattress Sale Day, while also acknowledging car and appliance sales.
Thank you sir for making my point. Please fill us in on your educated views of Hitler and the Jews. I will be waiting kind sir.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:15 AM

63,007 posts, read 29,194,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
How about renaming it "Indigenous people day" and keeping the holiday?
No one was "indigenous" to this country/continent unless they sprouted up out of the ground like corn. All of our ancestors were explorers who migrated here from somewhere else including the so-called natives.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
To those who are so enamored of Columbus Day, what did you actually do today to honor Columbus?
I usually fix spaghetti or chicken cacciatore for dinner. It totally slipped my mind yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAappraiser View Post
I would be in favor of cancelling Columbus Day and replacing it with Patriot's Day (911) as a federal holiday.
Too soon after Labor Day. I'd say keep the holiday where it is, rename it. 25 years ago or so, my kids' school called it "All Cultures Day". Kind of PC, but inclusive. Denver just renamed it "Indigenous People's Day" yesterday. http://www.cpr.org/news/newsbeat/den...y-proclamation

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-13-2015 at 09:11 AM..

Old 10-13-2015, 08:50 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,804,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
This reminds me of a Sopranos episode...
Indeed, for the Commiecrat Left, attacking Italian Americans has become just peachy.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:02 AM

88,647 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
To those who are so enamored of Columbus Day, what did you actually do today to honor Columbus?
Hmmm. Oh wait. I had a couple of glasses of red wine. Columbus was Italian, and he sailed for Spain, both countries that produce a significant amount of wine.

The wine I drank came from South America--The New World. The original vines had to have come from The Old World. So, in effect I observed a positive aspect of Columbus's impact by tying two worlds together with the consumption of one of the most important products produced by any culture ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies