Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 03:51 PM

18,410 posts, read 19,063,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
No, I don't. My personal moral code believes abortion is wrong. Unlike liberals and social conservatives I do not wish to coerce others to follow my moral code.
this is called pro choice. people who are pro choice want the woman to make her own choice, based on her life. yes, even liberals feel this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 03:55 PM

18,410 posts, read 19,063,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Insisting a woman remain pregnant after irresponsible casual sex without effective BC instead of killing the child as matter of convenience is believed by many people to be a reasonable requirement.

Unlike the previous scenario in which irresponsible behavior lead to pregnancy, there is no such behavior on the part of a forcible rape victim and requiring such a victim to carry her assailant`s child is one option in a situation in which there simply are no good options.

The other choice would be to require an innocent and unwilling party who has been violated to continue being violated for the term of the pregnancy.

Each option in the case of forcible rape is morally repugnant.

That one bad option is selected over the other doesn`t change the nature of the bad options or make the one selecting one or the other a willing participant just because they have been forced to make a choice to abort or effectively continue the rape until the child is born.
so you want irresponsible women to give birth and be parents? gee that would make for some great parenting. the 15 year old that gets carries away one night with her boyfriend, she would make a great mom with all the financial recourses to care for the baby. how about the drug addicted hooker who finds herself pregnant? she would make a great mom, looking after the baby in between johns and shooting up. amazing, yes, lets have irresponsible women become mothers. that will make for a society of well rounded children.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:44 AM

38,650 posts, read 26,426,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
so you want irresponsible women to give birth and be parents? gee that would make for some great parenting. the 15 year old that gets carries away one night with her boyfriend, she would make a great mom with all the financial recourses to care for the baby. how about the drug addicted hooker who finds herself pregnant? she would make a great mom, looking after the baby in between johns and shooting up. amazing, yes, lets have irresponsible women become mothers. that will make for a society of well rounded children.
Since when does having ****ty parents warrant the death penalty?

Old 10-11-2015, 07:24 AM

63,042 posts, read 29,243,563 times
IMO, no one should have the "choice" to kill a human being and most women who have abortions have them because they didn't act responsibly in the first place and therefore they don't want the inconvenience of the consequences of their actions. Well too bad.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:29 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,579,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
With about 25% of all pregnancies ending in miscarriage, "their Creator" seems to be the biggest abortionist in the universe.
This makes pregnancies that don't end in miscarriage all the more precious. There are many obstacles to overcome to being born. Arguably, being born is our greatest accomplishment.

There is a HUGE difference between a pregnancy that miscarries because something is wrong and one that is deliberately ended. It's the difference between dying of natural causes and being killed. We don't justify killings because people die anyway so why would we justify abortions because pregnancies miscarry?

Old 10-11-2015, 07:33 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,579,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I've always said that if Conservatives really believed the life @ conception line, they should be opposed to abortion even in rape cases. But it was never really about religion and life @ conception, just a round about attempt to control women.
I don't support abortion in cases of rape but I can understand that the mental stress of the situation could lead a woman to think it was the best way out. I consider this like I would a crime of passion. Something you did while under duress. Sometimes we excuse the actions of people because of their situation. That doesn't mean we think what they did was right. It means we understand they weren't in their right mind when they did it. I don't think it's right but I understand why someone would do it in this case. I just hope they can live with having chosen to take the life of their child because they were attacked by someone else when the fog clears.

I believe that life begins at conception because that is the moment each and every one of us came into being. All that has changed since we were conceived is we grew. The blueprint of who we are was set in that moment. All we need from that time forward is to be allowed to grow. I would call that life. In fact it's a particular human life. It's not like pregnancy is a terminal illness or permanent. Pregnancy is a temporary condition. Eventually the baby separates from its mother and if she doesn't want the baby she can just leave it at the hospital and go on about her life.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 10-11-2015 at 07:47 AM..

Old 10-11-2015, 05:00 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,074,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
IMO, no one should have the "choice" to kill a human being and most women who have abortions have them because they didn't act responsibly in the first place and therefore they don't want the inconvenience of the consequences of their actions. Well too bad.
Too bad?

Just how do you plan on forcing me to take care of a fetus I don't want to carry?

How are you going to force me to spend time and money on prenatal care?

How are you going to force me to buy and take prenatal vitamins?

How are you going to stop me from having a martini and a cigarette or two or three after dinner?

How are you going to force me to eat a healthy diet? Maybe I will eat a can of mercury tainted tuna fish everyday, just because I can.

How are you going to stop me from drinking a pot of coffee everyday?

And when the aches and pains of pregnancy set in, how are you going to stop me from popping OTC pain killers all day long or smoking a joint or two, perhaps along with a couple shots of whiskey, to ease the pain?

BTW, are you going to be here to lift heavy bags of cat litter and bird seed for me? How about mow the lawn and shovel the driveway?

And how about cleaning the litter boxes? How are you going to force me to wear gloves? ....or are you going to clean them for me?

What if I have a complicated pregnancy and can't work? Are you going to pay my bills? If I lose my job, are you going to find me another one?

Last but not least, how are you going to stop me from getting an illegal abortion or stop me from buying black market abortion pills?

Bottom line, you can't force someone to care about a fetus just because you do.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:08 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,074,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I don't support abortion in cases of rape but I can understand that the mental stress of the situation could lead a woman to think it was the best way out. I consider this like I would a crime of passion. Something you did while under duress. Sometimes we excuse the actions of people because of their situation. That doesn't mean we think what they did was right. It means we understand they weren't in their right mind when they did it. I don't think it's right but I understand why someone would do it in this case. I just hope they can live with having chosen to take the life of their child because they were attacked by someone else when the fog clears.

I believe that life begins at conception because that is the moment each and every one of us came into being. All that has changed since we were conceived is we grew. The blueprint of who we are was set in that moment. All we need from that time forward is to be allowed to grow. I would call that life. In fact it's a particular human life. It's not like pregnancy is a terminal illness or permanent. Pregnancy is a temporary condition. Eventually the baby separates from its mother and if she doesn't want the baby she can just leave it at the hospital and go on about her life.
Pregnancy is hardly a temporary condition.

It changes a woman's body for life, and not in a good way. You can suffer medical consequences for life, like urinary incontinence, especially in your later years.

It can also, quite literally, kill you.

Women should not be forced to risk their health or their lives against their will.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:17 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,339,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Pregnancy is hardly a temporary condition.

It changes a woman's body for life, and not in a good way. You can suffer medical consequences for life, like urinary incontinence, especially in your later years.

It can also, quite literally, kill you.

Women should not be forced to risk their health or their lives against their will.
Not to mention countless women who choose not to get pregnant because they have physical or mental illness which requires medications they would not be able to take while being pregnant.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:24 PM

6,619 posts, read 5,023,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

This would be true if we were in 1800's and had leeches put on you to suck out the infection, now we know exactly what happens, there is no blueprint, just a fertilized egg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies