Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 01:23 AM

1,160 posts, read 717,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I didn't say I had. I said I would not spend hours of my time trying to convince you of things you can learn yourself. Its not that complicated. I'm willing to drop 5-10 minutes here and there, but really...spend time doing it yourself. Im not your little google monkey.
You are nonsensical. You bring up poor people, I say poor people overwhelmingly do not work. You say goal post shift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 01:28 AM

34,289 posts, read 19,497,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
You are nonsensical. You bring up poor people, I say poor people overwhelmingly do not work. You say goal post shift.
You turn poor people who make minimum age (the topic here HELLO) into generic poor people who do not work.

Yes I call that a goal post shift.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:16 AM

Quote:
You turn poor people who make minimum age (the topic here HELLO) into generic poor people who do not work.

Yes I call that a goal post shift.
Um....no.

Quote:
Prove it. use historical data. Maybe contrast what happens to the poor when we do not increase the minimum wage for long periods of time.

Ohhh wait. you can't because historical reality and data dont back up your emotionally driven overly simplistic theories.
I say poor people overwhelmingly do not work in direct response to you talking about what happens to the poor. Never mind the fact you dismissed my attempt to get you to define your definition of poor as an argument about semantics. Now you are pretending that you were not talking about the poor and that I'm the one shifting the goalpost.

I just have to say wow.

Last edited by billydaman; 09-14-2015 at 02:31 AM..

Old 09-14-2015, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Um....no.

I say poor people overwhelmingly do not work in direct response to you talking about what happens to poor people.
Context. Read the title of this topic. Seriously.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Context. Read the title of this topic. Seriously.

Poor people overwhelming do not work!!! Why are you bringing up poor people period? You are right, context is important. Poor people overwhelmingly do not work, so what are you talking about poor people (whether they work or not) for in a thread about the minimum wage? Its not going to impact poverty at all. You really are nonsensical. It's unreal. You say you are talking in the context of minimum wage and bring up poor people....who overwhelmingly don't work, then accuse me of shifting the goal post and taking you out of context when I pointed out the fact that poor people are not relevant in this discussion because they do not work. (Hint: it does not matter which poor people you are talking about, as poor people are not a significant portion of the working population)

I have to stop trying to discuss this with you because your arguments are nonsensical and, frankly, bizarre. Like seriously.

Last edited by billydaman; 09-14-2015 at 02:52 AM..

Old 09-14-2015, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Poor people overwhelming do not work!!! Why are you bringing up poor people period? You are right, context is important. Poor people overwhelmingly do not work, so what are you talking about poor people (whether they work or not) for in a thread about the minimum wage? Its not going to impact poverty at all. You really are nonsensical. It's unreal. You say you are talking in the context of minimum wage and bring up poor people....who overwhelmingly don't work, then accuse me of shifting the goal post and taking you out of context when I pointed out the fact that poor people are not relevant in this discussion because they do not work. (Hint: it does not matter which poor people you are talking about, as poor people are not a significant portion of the working population)

I have to stop trying to discuss this with you because your arguments are nonsensical and, frankly, bizarre. Like seriously.
Its almost like you haven't read the thread title.

Or maybe...gasp...you think minimum wage makes people rich? I have no idea. This topic is minimum wage...but you dont wish to discuss that...

Old 09-14-2015, 03:56 AM

30,604 posts, read 24,017,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
My boyfriend believes in raising the minimum wage. I'm in between not caring and against raising the minimum wage, although I've been leaning toward being against raising the minimum wage.

When we met a couple years back, he was working in a warehouse full time at $12-15/hour. Couple years ago, he quit that job to go back to school studying finance and accounting.

I'm an engineer in management.

With the background out of the way... earlier today, he got a look at my paystub. He then commented that I make more in a couple months than what he made a whole year when he was working in the warehouse. That comment really hit me hard because I didn't think I make that much to begin with. I have the typical salary of a middle manager.

That also got me thinking. When people complain that CEO's make an obscene amount of money more than the minimum wage worker, wouldn't it make more sense to compare what the typical low skilled worker makes to something like what an engineer makes? Why do I say that? Because now that I think about it, I don't know how anyone can survive on something like $12-15/hour with any level of comfort, let alone less than $10/hour.

I'm leaning back towards supporting raising the minimum wage.
Your boyfriend is comparing a WAREHOUSE job to your engineering job? And you think that warrants raising the minimum wage?

What did you do to get that engineering job? How much education did you get? Did you earn that engineering job? If someone wants the kind of money that you make, regardless of what you think that amounts to, then they can go get an engineering degree and an engineering job.

If someone wants to make what a CEO makes, then they are going to have to use their brains, work untold amounts of hours each week to GET to that position, start a business, OR move up through the ranks after investing some years in the job, not complain about how they are too good for this or that, and earn their way to that paycheck.

Jealousy is not a reason to raise the minimum wage.

And despite popular belief, it IS possible to live comfortably on $10-15 an hour, but it does NOT mean that you are going to live in a big old house by yourself with all the luxuries in life.

People seem to have a very difficult time discerning between "wants" and "needs".

Old 09-14-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Its almost like you haven't read the thread title.

Or maybe...gasp...you think minimum wage makes people rich? I have no idea. This topic is minimum wage...but you dont wish to discuss that...
You are still deflecting away from my criticism. You brought up poor people in a discussion about the minimum wage, poor people overwhelmingly do not work. Whether it makes people rich is irrelevant as well.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:03 PM

5,491 posts, read 4,515,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
And you would be surprised at what somebody's people say. They say that a business that cannot pay a living wage should not even exist. So they prefer these jobs that currently hire people to feed their family to be gone simply because it doesn't fit their utopian image of what a great job is. If you follow these peoples advice, unemployment will go up again. What does that hurt? It's the workers
But here...
https://www.city-data.com/forum/41149950-post125.html
You just said the MW wasn't meant to raise a family. In other words, these jobs are lousy, and by definition, shouldn't be around and most certainly aren't worth holding on to. So which is it?

Others have chimed in saying MW is just a temporary place to work, or high school students to earn some spending $$. Well, there's quite a large # of middle age people in MW. Get over it. That's the reality of today. Just like how it does old timers no good to cling on to what worked 3+ decades ago (such as getting a factory job to support a spouse and children), the notion that MW is just a stepping stone is quite different today.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:17 AM

35,879 posts, read 21,318,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
My boyfriend believes in raising the minimum wage. I'm in between not caring and against raising the minimum wage, although I've been leaning toward being against raising the minimum wage.

When we met a couple years back, he was working in a warehouse full time at $12-15/hour. Couple years ago, he quit that job to go back to school studying finance and accounting.

I'm an engineer in management.

With the background out of the way... earlier today, he got a look at my paystub. He then commented that I make more in a couple months than what he made a whole year when he was working in the warehouse. That comment really hit me hard because I didn't think I make that much to begin with. I have the typical salary of a middle manager.

That also got me thinking. When people complain that CEO's make an obscene amount of money more than the minimum wage worker, wouldn't it make more sense to compare what the typical low skilled worker makes to something like what an engineer makes? Why do I say that? Because now that I think about it, I don't know how anyone can survive on something like $12-15/hour with any level of comfort, let alone less than $10/hour.

I'm leaning back towards supporting raising the minimum wage.
first paragraph disqualifies you from understanding- why it is needed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies