Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 12:57 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,449,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
It means Barry's mother in law and those who think/thought like her, black or white, not you.

Yes I know of your marriage. You are hip, cool, and clearly miles ahead of many.
Again, this is a woman in her 70's raised in the segregated south. What's she supposed to do, think and feel? Is she supposed to just jettison baggage that she was saddled with BY OTHERS (namely, white folks) and just forget everything that she experienced?

You've never walked a day in her shoes, and you're in no position to judge harshly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 01:01 PM

Let me correct the record...she wasn't raised in the South. But her parents were.

Still though, born in 1937 as an African American and she shouldn't have concerns about racial issues involving her own daughter?

Old 05-14-2015, 01:24 PM

31,573 posts, read 22,518,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Studies have actually shown that mixed kids are very well adjusted overall. This piece in Time is pretty good:

Are Mixed-Race Children Better Adjusted? - TIME
"Studies have actually shown that mixed kids are very well adjusted overall. This piece in Time is pretty good:"

I was speaking to the perception at that time. For today I'm sure it has a lot to do with the kids that have dads in their lives. Kids do better with dads and moms regardless of what some say. Having coached youth sports for most of my adult life the boys that were the most lost were the ones that didn't know their dads.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:43 PM

13,722 posts, read 20,928,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Again, this is a woman in her 70's raised in the segregated south. What's she supposed to do, think and feel? Is she supposed to just jettison baggage that she was saddled with BY OTHERS (namely, white folks) and just forget everything that she experienced?

You've never walked a day in her shoes, and you're in no position to judge harshly.
One could say the same about George Wallace, Orville Faubus, and all the others were "products of their time and environment" or "learned it at the dinner table."

I am not judging her harshly. I am holding her to the exact same standard she would (justifiably) hold me.

She and other nice ladies do not get a pass. If she does not like a certain attitude, why would she herself hold the same attitude?

It is all moot. She obviously accepted him (how could she not have?) and is now living in the White House.

Rough life....

Old 05-14-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
One could say the same about George Wallace, Orville Faubus, and all the others were "products of their time and environment" or "learned it at the dinner table."

I am not judging her harshly. I am holding her to the exact same standard she would (justifiably) hold me.

She and other nice ladies do not get a pass. If she does not like a certain attitude, why would she herself hold the same attitude?

It is all moot. She obviously accepted him (how could she not have?) and is now living in the White House.

Rough life....
Faubus and Wallace were the persecutors, not the persecuted. They're not able to claim any moral high ground.

To my knowledge, Marian Robinson never persecuted any one. She simply raised concerns.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:42 PM

39,535 posts, read 27,983,308 times
My brother is obviously biracial, my sister in law is a blond. When they first dated, my sister in law's father was not 100% happy, my sister in law was a single mom of two. He was afraid that my family was not going to love her two sons as much as we loved our own, especially since the two boys had to live with their mom 24/7. My sister in law had full custody.

well, my parents were not happy because my brother was successful and had never had problems finding dates. He kind of looks like Hideo Muraoka, they had the exact same built and very similar face.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/d1533ddbe...nyuyo2_500.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...973c77b26e.jpg

My brother did some modeling as well. Plus, my sister in law is older than my brother. I thought my bro could have done a lot better.

When my sister in law's father met my brother the first time, he loved my brother right away. My sister in law's two sons both had darker hair, when they go out together as a family, many thought the kids belonged to my brother. So no issues here.

I've dated quite a few white men from the south, no parents had any issues with me. Even though things didn't work out, I kept close relationships with many of my ex boyfriends' families. By the way, I always believed people from the south are some of the nicest people.

My grandpa had quite a few biological children. Many of them are 100% white, I get along with all my uncles and aunts. Many have supported me financially when I lived in Europe.

My brother used to love a girl who had a biracial child (white/black). My aunt made some insensitive remarks "She sure has slept with the rainbow" But she has never been confrontational.

I think different people will have different experiences. Here in southern California, I've seen quite a few black/white couples walking in the mall, I don't really pay any attentions because I really don't care.

I have two big brothers, the other brother always liked black girls. My parents are okay with them dating, but they told my brother that he should have thought carefully about marrying one because the black families might have problems with people who are not black.

It is what it is.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 05-14-2015 at 02:51 PM..

Old 05-14-2015, 04:30 PM

20,523 posts, read 16,028,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree. My grandparents (Mrs Robinson's era) were mostly very wary of "race mixing." It was common amongst black and white Americans to have this point of view. My paternal grandfather actually had a white lady "on the side" and eventually left his wife (my grandmother) for the mistress. His mom didn't talk to him for a year over it and she herself was mixed race. Her own mother did not want her to marry my great grandfather because he was "too dark." My great grandmother looked like a white person even though she was classified as black.

I do think though that there has been an unhealthy focus on Michelle Obama around here of late.

Also, desertdetroiter is right, many black people don't think having a white family member is all that good of a thing. Just like many white men don't want their daughters bringing home a black guy, black families don't want their son to bring home a white lady. Both are common ideologies.
Toss "culture" in that as well: word is many Dominican ladies who def look "Black" because they're of that family get all upset if they're told the're of that race. It's to the point that many of those Dominicans will ONLY marry and have kids anglo white dudes.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:39 PM

11,417 posts, read 16,888,417 times
So pretty much Michelles mother is racist. Guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:31 PM

15,059 posts, read 6,260,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Toss "culture" in that as well: word is many Dominican ladies who def look "Black" because they're of that family get all upset if they're told the're of that race. It's to the point that many of those Dominicans will ONLY marry and have kids anglo white dudes.
Why do they need to identify racially? They are Dominican. As I read somwhere,"to identify yourself by skin color undermines preservation of your people's history."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies