Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 08:41 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times

Advertisements

This is old news. It was discussed a long time ago. The older generations have all kinds of fears, irrelevant as those fears may often be nowadays. Guess she figured his mixed upbringing would cause cultural issues. What she didn't realize that her daughter navigated a totally different world than she did, through no fault of her own. Interacting with different groups was (and is) a norm for Michelle. Even if there were difficulties, they could be worked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 08:48 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Shocking, Mrs. Robinson is the only parent to ever express reservation against her child dating a person of different race, religion or socio-economic background. Hey, maybe she was not in favor because Barak is from Kenya, is a Muslim and had a f-ed up middle name. Nah. Rage, rage, rage. Over nothing.

I can't wait until one of y'all's daughter brings home Jamal, Tyrone or La'Juan. I am sure you'd be completely accepting. In fact, you might join BF's family gathering for Kwanza. lol

Mick

Old 05-14-2015, 08:49 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
What a crock of baloney.

What's being pointed out is her and her family's racism, so chuck the hypocrisy.
The article seems less about racism and more about the stereotype that mixed people are automatically going to have issues. She said she would have had less issues if he were white.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:50 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
The article seems less about racism and more about the stereotype that mixed people are automatically going to have issues. She said she would have had less issues if he were white.
Please, I'd be grateful if you don't point out stuff that doesn't fit the narrative because no one reads any more.

Mick

Old 05-14-2015, 10:02 AM

934 posts, read 595,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The blacks, the blacks, the blacks.

Yeah...I guess some of you are shocked (for some weird reason) to find out that there exists black people that don't jump up and down with joy at the prospect of having white folks join the family. I'm sure that comes as a complete surprise to those with an inflated sense of themselves based on their race.

In any case, given the generation she was born into, her concerns are understandable.
Isnt her mom in her 70s. Leave it up to conservatives to gauge progres using the ideas of senior citizens

Old 05-14-2015, 11:04 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
What a crock of baloney.

What's being pointed out is her and her family's racism, so chuck the hypocrisy.
Her mother reacted the EXACT same way YOU would act if your child brought someone home of a different race. And your parents would've reacted the same way. In fact, you would've behaved even worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Last time I looked, white folks are human beings just like black folks.

Seems some of you might wanna practice what you preach.
I'm not preaching anything. I'm in a mixed marriage right now. Been in it for 25 years. So i don't know who "some of you" is supposed to be.

Seems to me that you're one of the people i was talking about...wounded because someone doesn't actually throw a big party just because someone is bringing a white person home.

Her mother's concerns were reasonable given the generation she came from. And really, you shouldn't talk. You're probably far younger than Michelle Obama's mother, and you'd STILL have that reaction.

Stop putting on a front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree. My grandparents (Mrs Robinson's era) were mostly very wary of "race mixing." It was common amongst black and white Americans to have this point of view. My paternal grandfather actually had a white lady "on the side" and eventually left his wife (my grandmother) for the mistress. His mom didn't talk to him for a year over it and she herself was mixed race. Her own mother did not want her to marry my great grandfather because he was "too dark." My great grandmother looked like a white person even though she was classified as black.

I do think though that there has been an unhealthy focus on Michelle Obama around here of late.

Also, desertdetroiter is right, many black people don't think having a white family member is all that good of a thing. Just like many white men don't want their daughters bringing home a black guy, black families don't want their son to bring home a white lady. Both are common ideologies.
Trust me, these posters talking smack about my comments would go bananas if their child brought home a black person and introduced him/her as their new boy/girlfriend.

Quote:
The article isn't about racism at all in fact. Mrs. Robinson is a woman raised in the Jim Crow south, and her fears are totally understandable and totally reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
Isnt her mom in her 70s. Leave it up to conservatives to gauge progres using the ideas of senior citizens
Conservatives who have her same stance to boot.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:29 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
but not as concerned as she would have been had he been completely white:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.2153243

True - he certainly would never have been president.
It's delusional thinking if you believe he got elected just because of his race.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:38 AM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
This is old news. It was discussed a long time ago. The older generations have all kinds of fears, irrelevant as those fears may often be nowadays. Guess she figured his mixed upbringing would cause cultural issues. What she didn't realize that her daughter navigated a totally different world than she did, through no fault of her own. Interacting with different groups was (and is) a norm for Michelle. Even if there were difficulties, they could be worked out.
"Guess she figured his mixed upbringing would cause cultural issues"
Could be? He could have had all sorts of baggage related to having a White mom and Black dad, especially in that time period. Black mixed kid being raised White people could have all sorts of issues especially in a society that continues to have racial identity pushed as a major factor in what defines you

It's interesting that a lot of people bag on the people of her generation of of having baggage associated with race mixing, when I see more and more mixed couples of that generation. On the other hand they could be so blind and hard of hearing they might not be able to distinguish that the other person is of another race. More than likely they probably just got to the point where they were just happy to have another person to nag them.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 05-14-2015 at 11:47 AM..

Old 05-14-2015, 11:44 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"Guess she figured his mixed upbringing would cause cultural issues"
Could be? He could have had all sorts of baggage related to having a White mom and Black dad, especially in that time period. Black mixed kid being raised White people could have all sorts of issues especially in a society that continues to have racial identity pushed as a major factor in what defines you
Studies have actually shown that mixed kids are very well adjusted overall. This piece in Time is pretty good:

Are Mixed-Race Children Better Adjusted? - TIME

Quote:
But new research says this old, problematized view of multiracial identity is outdated. In fact, a new paper in the Journal of Social Issues shows that multiracial adolescents who identify proudly as multiracial fare as well as — and, in many cases, better than — kids who identify with a single group, even if that group is considered high-status (like, say, Asians or whites). This finding was surprising because psychologists have argued for years that mixed-race kids will be better adjusted if they pick a single race as their own.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:57 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
I'm not preaching anything. I'm in a mixed marriage right now. Been in it for 25 years. So i don't know who "some of you" is supposed to be.
It means Barry's mother in law and those who think/thought like her, black or white, not you.

Yes I know of your marriage. You are hip, cool, and clearly miles ahead of many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies