Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 07:48 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I have volunteered at womens shelters. I know the funding issues they have. Where are all of those pro life people and their money? Why are these services underfunded? Why are supposedly pro life politicians constantly trying to defund welfare? Where are all of these pro life people that want children, there are children in the system TODAY waiting for adoptive parents.

Again the reality disproves your imaginary la la land ideal.
Maybe you could help with their funding. I think politicians are trying to get people work and not depend on welfare which is just a never ending trap for a lot of people. A good job is what most people need to get out of poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 07:59 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Quote:
I have volunteered at womens shelters. I know the funding issues they have. Where are all of those pro life people and their money? Why are these services underfunded? Why are supposedly pro life politicians constantly trying to defund welfare? Where are all of these pro life people that want children, there are children in the system TODAY waiting for adoptive parents.

Again the reality disproves your imaginary la la land ideal.
Those are all red herrings, ineffective diversions not solutions. Welfare breeds dependence. It is not an answer to preventing pregnancy. The greatest deterrent, to those who are thinking, mature, responsible people, is to consider the consequences.

Knowing that you'll get so many extra $$ in support from the welfare system is not a deterrent.

Prevention is the key.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:13 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Maybe you could help with their funding. I think politicians are trying to get people work and not depend on welfare which is just a never ending trap for a lot of people. A good job is what most people need to get out of poverty.
I do, since I volunteer they do not have to pay someone. Why don't all of those "pro life" people donate?

Yes, people need a good job. But it is really hard to get a good job with no education and while pregnant or with a child. See, you want these women to have a child, but don't actually care about what happens to the woman or the child after it is born. That 19 year old who is pregnant and alone may end up dropping out of school because she is pregnant and alone. That does not help her get a good job, in fact it probably dooms her to a minimum wage job for a long time.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Those are all red herrings, ineffective diversions not solutions. Welfare breeds dependence. It is not an answer to preventing pregnancy. The greatest deterrent, to those who are thinking, mature, responsible people, is to consider the consequences.

Knowing that you'll get so many extra $$ in support from the welfare system is not a deterrent.

Prevention is the key.
I agree, prevention is the key. I think we should strive for as few abortions as possible. Yet it seems to be the pro life crowd that wants abstinence only sex ed.

The proven answer to reducing abortions is not ignorance, but education and free long term birth control.

Quote:
Their most significant finding, however, was that abortion rates dropped far below those of the general U.S. population, at 9.7 per 1,000 teens compared to 41.5 per 1,000 teens. This data shows that when teen girls are shown how to properly care for their bodies, and are given the tools to do so, abortion rates go down; and subsequently, risk of the health and social consequences of undergoing one.
Free Birth Control Lowers Pregnancy And Abortion Rates; Pro-Lifers Forced To Choose Lesser Of Two Evils

Old 01-30-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I do, since I volunteer they do not have to pay someone. Why don't all of those "pro life" people donate?

Yes, people need a good job. But it is really hard to get a good job with no education and while pregnant or with a child. See, you want these women to have a child, but don't actually care about what happens to the woman or the child after it is born. That 19 year old who is pregnant and alone may end up dropping out of school because she is pregnant and alone. That does not help her get a good job, in fact it probably dooms her to a minimum wage job for a long time.
I just posted one place that helps new moms. There are others but you won't quit saying there is no help. You are determined to think that.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I agree, prevention is the key. I think we should strive for as few abortions as possible. Yet it seems to be the pro life crowd that wants abstinence only sex ed.

The proven answer to reducing abortions is not ignorance, but education and free long term birth control.

Free Birth Control Lowers Pregnancy And Abortion Rates; Pro-Lifers Forced To Choose Lesser Of Two Evils
Teens should not be having sex. Most agree with that but still tell teens to go get birth control. How is that not crazy making? Double messages never helped anyone. Plus BC is never 100%. Even PP said they could not give out BC without abortion as a back up. They know the truth.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:31 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
So what?

What makes you think you know when life begins?

Everyone has their own belief as to when life begins.

If you believe life begins at the moment of conception, don't abort your pregnancy.

That's the beauty of Roe v Wade......no one is forced to go against their beliefs.

And, kudos to President Barack Obama for not thinking he has the right to make that decision for me.
You zeroed in on what supports your position, but missed or ignored the larger issue.
I don't see anyone on the pro-abortion side discussing this topic with the seriousness and moral weight that
these debates deserve, as Obama himself expressed:
there is something extraordinarily powerful about potential life and that that has a moral weight to it that we take into consideration when we’re having these debates.

Plus, you say "so what?" and totally ignore that Obama calls a "fetus" (pre-delivery pro-abortion term) who survives a late term abortion a "child". Then goes on to say we mustn't call it that.

He said that giving medical aid to such a baby that survives the abortion would be going against the intentions of the mother. Now, don't you see a problem here? The child is born. It is a human being, according to the pro-abortion assertion that "life begins at birth". Yet the mother is still in control of another's body just by her "intent"

What an outrageous view and all on the left overlook it, skirt around it, or come back with the sickening argument that late term abortions are "only done in 1%" of pregnancies. Do you know what 1% of the total is?

There has been an explosion in scientific knowledge concerning the unborn child since 1973,
when Roe v. Wade was decided. Now, for example, there is substantial medical evidence that an unborn child is capable of experiencing pain by 20 weeks after fertilization. (Note, "by 20 weeks" not after 20 weeks.)

http://www.nrlc.org/uploads/communic...ortion2014.pdf

Old 01-30-2015, 08:35 AM

18,419 posts, read 19,031,744 times
Quote:
Teens should not be having sex. Most agree with that but still tell teens to go get birth control. How is that not crazy making? Double messages never helped anyone. Plus BC is never 100%. Even PP said they could not give out BC without abortion as a back up. They know the truth.

it isn't a double message. the message to teens to wait to have sex until they are mature is ignored by many. just like the message not to drive fast or without a seat belt. once the horsse has left the barn and the teen is going to continue to have sex, shouldn't it be protected sex so they do not get pregnant? what do you want to do with a teen having sex? just continue to tell them not to do it? yeah. like that will work. sounds more like putting your head in the sand. maybe the problem will go away. oh wait, it hasn't yet.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
it isn't a double message. the message to teens to wait to have sex until they are mature is ignored by many. just like the message not to drive fast or without a seat belt. once the horsse has left the barn and the teen is going to continue to have sex, shouldn't it be protected sex so they do not get pregnant? what do you want to do with a teen having sex? just continue to tell them not to do it? yeah. like that will work. sounds more like putting your head in the sand. maybe the problem will go away. oh wait, it hasn't yet.
No and it's getting worse each year, wonder why.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I just posted one place that helps new moms. There are others but you won't quit saying there is no help. You are determined to think that.
Can you honestly tell me with a straight face that there is enough help out there for all 1 MILLION women that have abortions a year?

Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies