Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 12:20 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,666,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandangoo View Post
Can somebody call apple, google and ibm and let them know that instead of PhDs they should be hiring "good men"? They obviously don't know what they're doing!
Absolutely. The OP is on to something. I'm going to scrap my resume and replace it with three words: a good man. Need someone to fly that jet? Look no further. Surgeon needed? Gotcha covered. Software developer required? Got it. I'm a good man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 01:21 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,891,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Absolutely. The OP is on to something. I'm going to scrap my resume and replace it with three words: a good man. Need someone to fly that jet? Look no further. Surgeon needed? Gotcha covered. Software developer required? Got it. I'm a good man.
Exactly right. After all, the OP also claims a bank handed him a check for a new car without even bothering to check that he had a job or any means whatsoever to pay them back because he "looked honest." So apparently there is no need to ever check references for anyone for anything so long as the applicant claims to be "a good man" and "looks honest." (Of course, having Daddy sitting next to him to co-sign, with real references the bank could check, is probably what got him that loan.)

Old 11-29-2014, 01:26 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,666,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Exactly right. After all, the OP also claims a bank handed him a check for a new car without even bothering to check that he had a job or any means whatsoever to pay them back because he "looked honest." So apparently there is no need to ever check references for anyone for anything so long as the applicant claims to be "a good man" and "looks honest." (Of course, having Daddy sitting next to him to co-sign, with real references the bank could check, is probably what got him that loan.)
In a world of good men, firm handshakes are all that's needed to secure loans and make contracts.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:42 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,981,685 times
Quote:
I never said anything about buying a new car. I said "first car loan".

My father had been dead several years at that time.

So, basically, as with all other arguments you make... They are a lie. Why can't you make your point without lying? You don't have one.

Last edited by pnwmdk; 11-29-2014 at 02:06 PM..

Old 11-29-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Dear Lord - have we stumbled across Palin's handle? Listen, we both know that Alaska is a bit of a backwater and that the Alaskan governor has bupkis to do with foreign policy. Norw, that doesn't mean that any hypothetical Alaskan governor couldn't be well-read and well-informed and if you have evidence - in the form of something Palin said, or a piece of legislation with foreign policy ramifications that she authored, or - something, really - I suggest you post it, rather than pretend that it's common knowledge.

Because what she gave us was: "As Putin rears his head and comes into the airspace of the United States of America, where do they go? It’s Alaska. It’s just right over the border. It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there, they are right next to our state."

And that right there is what made "I can see Russia from my house" an effective parody.
Wow... Ignorance is strong with this one, grasshopper...

Old 11-29-2014, 01:59 PM

47,020 posts, read 26,088,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Wow... Ignorance is strong with this one, grasshopper...
No examples of Palin demonstrating foreign policy cred thanks to her fantastic Alaskan experiences? Not even a teeny tiny one? Did I do a bad thing by quoting her ad verbatim?

Old 11-29-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
The words "the resume is the baseline" didn't show up on your screen?
The concept of "resume as the baseline" misses the point entirely.

Those who are the most successful hire by ability and character first and mostly ignore the resume.

What I am dumbfounded about, is that you are defending the "paper measurement" system with diligence, yet, the country at large and the economy itself has been gobsmacked by a massive rash of fraud, waste, irresponsibility, and incredibly bad behavior involving risk and trust.

You make fun of the idea of merely choosing people on the basis of character, rather than resume, but what has it gotten us, this "comparison of narratives" about people in positions of trust?

You couldn't have asked for a better resume, than Bernie Madoff used to have. His "social reputation" was impeccable.

But he was a crook of gigantic proportions. If, however, you ignored his name and social reputation, and just examined him and what he said, all the classic warning signs existed. They were just ignored because he was "Bernie Madoff".

The people who ran Fannie Mae, for instance, during the years leading up to its collapse, all had impeccable credentials and resumes. But they were reckless, dishonest, greedy and irresponsible to the extreme.

Had anyone bothered to size them for character, our recent economic history might look quite different.

I know, I know, you need to mock character, because it doesn't promote Democrats, I get it. But why should you let your partisan leanings override integrity?

Did you know that fraud(ster) is a dirty word and not allowed here?

Old 11-29-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
No examples of Palin demonstrating foreign policy cred thanks to her fantastic Alaskan experiences? Not even a teeny tiny one? Did I do a bad thing by quoting her ad verbatim?
Question:

Obama's been in office for 6 years and still has worse instincts than Palin on FP matters. What, exactly, is your point?

I choose Palin to talk about because it irritates a certain contingent of irrational people, who are so gullible they believe media narrative and thus, haven't a clue what they're blabbing about.

A good 80% of the people I know have better foreign policy instincts than Obama. The rest don't know what the phrase means. Further, a good 70% of the people I know have better foreign policy instincts than ANYONE in Washington DC.

Please, tell us how this resume reading has worked out.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:14 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,891,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
I never said anything about buying a new car. I said "first car loan".

My father had been dead several years at that time.

So, basically, as with all other arguments you make... They are a lie. Why can't you make your point without lying? You don't have one.
Yeah, so you say. But then, you are "a good man" who "looks honest" so we should just believe you, right? Any bank that would hand a check to a kid without any evidence of a means to repay it would be out of business within the week. What you claim is a whole lot of hooey. And I don't even need to see your "honest face" to know it.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Yeah, so you say. But then, you are "a good man" who "looks honest" so we should just believe you, right? Any bank that would hand a check to a kid without any evidence of a means to repay it would be out of business within the week. What you claim is a whole lot of hooey. And I don't even need to see your "honest face" to know it.
No, you just imagine things.

His exact words were "I'll give you a chance".

I didn't let him down. One year after that was paid off, I wanted a different vehicle, and the bank had been bought by a much larger one. This bank had been a community (only one office, in a small town) bank for as long as I could remember (at 27) and was financially sound, but the big bank wanted the business and bought them for a big price. And then shut down the whole thing in favor of making you drive 20 miles to get to them. That bank actually was one of the ones that went bye-bye in the "great bad loan reckoning" a few years ago.

They wouldn't loan to me, though. "You don't make enough money" was the official response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies