Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 02:50 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,232,738 times

Advertisements

When was the last time you read a ad for a black smith needed. They were in demand in the past. Same thing here. Things are always changing and even the so called good need to change. That is unless you think all those with a degree and saw change coming are bad. The engineer might have been a Blacksmith in former times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 03:13 PM

9,470 posts, read 7,001,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
When was the last time you read a ad for a black smith needed. They were in demand in the past. Same thing here. Things are always changing and even the so called good need to change. That is unless you think all those with a degree and saw change coming are bad. The engineer might have been a Blacksmith in former times.
I'll bet you didn't know that blacksmiths are actually in demand.

The demand is diffuse, but it exists and I know a couple people who have earned good money.

The demand for character and competence is now obsolete, you say?

Perhaps you should review the news again about corruption and incompetence in government.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:59 AM

47,132 posts, read 26,280,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Question:

Obama's been in office for 6 years and still has worse instincts than Palin on FP matters. What, exactly, is your point?
Don't change the subject, please. You claimed Palin had foreign policy chops, so my point - which you are, incidentally, amking for me - is the complete absence of examples. An article, an interview, a specific decision made during her governorship? With Alaska governors being - what was it - "right in the middle of the crossroads of policy", that should be really easy, no?

Come on, you know she even tried to make her ceremonial post as head of the AANG into something.

Quote:
I choose Palin to talk about...
Weird - as far as I can tell, you're doing everything you can to not talk about her in any specifics.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:13 AM

Quote:
The concept of "resume as the baseline" misses the point entirely.
Oh, it did show up? Good. I'm glad.

Quote:
You couldn't have asked for a better resume, than Bernie Madoff used to have. His "social reputation" was impeccable.

But he was a crook of gigantic proportions. If, however, you ignored his name and social reputation, and just examined him and what he said, all the classic warning signs existed. They were just ignored because he was "Bernie Madoff".
Oh, it's a game of Monday Morning Quarterback, now. That's the thing with lack of character - it tends to show up in hindsight. You think people took on Madoff to manage their investment although they doubted his character? If someone had asked for "a good man to manage my money", Madoff would have backed off and said "Ask the guy down the hall, because I'm a terrible person"?

Quote:
The people who ran Fannie Mae, for instance, during the years leading up to its collapse, all had impeccable credentials and resumes. But they were reckless, dishonest, greedy and irresponsible to the extreme.

Had anyone bothered to size them for character...
So - tell us, how do you size someone for character? Firm handshake, unwavering gaze, responded to an ad saying "Good man needed"?

Old 11-30-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Absolutely. The OP is on to something. I'm going to scrap my resume and replace it with three words: a good man. Need someone to fly that jet? Look no further. Surgeon needed? Gotcha covered. Software developer required? Got it. I'm a good man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Exactly right. After all, the OP also claims a bank handed him a check for a new car without even bothering to check that he had a job or any means whatsoever to pay them back because he "looked honest." So apparently there is no need to ever check references for anyone for anything so long as the applicant claims to be "a good man" and "looks honest." (Of course, having Daddy sitting next to him to co-sign, with real references the bank could check, is probably what got him that loan.)
I'm somehow reminded of the relationship forums and the eternal complaints about "nice guys" never getting the girl. So you're "nice". Good. Now, what do you have to actually offer?

Old 11-30-2014, 03:17 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,712,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I'm somehow reminded of the relationship forums and the eternal complaints about "nice guys" never getting the girl. So you're "nice". Good. Now, what do you have to actually offer?
Good analogy. And just like in those threads where women complain that self described "nice guys" are actually creepy losers who harbor resentment and anger toward women for not giving them the attention they think they deserve, I suspect the OP's prototypical "good man" is actually a jerk. If he's someone who resents having to acquire skills, knowledge and credentials to obtain a good job because his character (as judged by him) alone should entitle him to one, I can see why he's marginalized. It has nothing to do with his supposed quality of being "good" -- it has to do with his selfish, entitled, know-nothing attitude.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:19 PM

13,299 posts, read 7,919,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Blackswimmers are a rarity.

The Navy Seals have never been able to meet their recruitment quota.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

Oh, it's a game of Monday Morning Quarterback, now. That's the thing with lack of character - it tends to show up in hindsight. You think people took on Madoff to manage their investment although they doubted his character? If someone had asked for "a good man to manage my money", Madoff would have backed off and said "Ask the guy down the hall, because I'm a terrible person"?
You're really struggling hard to defend the idea that we should not be concerned first with someone's integrity and work ethic first and resume later.

Quote:
So - tell us, how do you size someone for character? Firm handshake, unwavering gaze, responded to an ad saying "Good man needed"?
Do you need help in that department? Are you actually unsure of how to figure out who is honest and who isn't?

Old 12-01-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Good analogy. And just like in those threads where women complain that self described "nice guys" are actually creepy losers who harbor resentment and anger toward women for not giving them the attention they think they deserve, I suspect the OP's prototypical "good man" is actually a jerk. If he's someone who resents having to acquire skills, knowledge and credentials to obtain a good job because his character (as judged by him) alone should entitle him to one, I can see why he's marginalized. It has nothing to do with his supposed quality of being "good" -- it has to do with his selfish, entitled, know-nothing attitude.
Because, of course, the way you avoid discussing why there's so much corruption, so much fraud, and so many bad people elected, is that you start attacking the person of someone you disagree with, rather than making any salient point.

You know, the way dishonest people do things.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:33 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,510,113 times
Quote:
Are you actually unsure of how to figure out who is honest and who isn't?
I'm not. Jimmy Carter is fundamentally honest, and Ronald Reagan was a pathological -- though, toward the end, unwitting -- liar, who habitually conflated his fantasy life with factual history.

Which one of them, in your opinion, was the better President?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies