Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 09:47 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,056,000 times

Advertisements

With all of the pressing issues going on today, why does this even matter? Freedom of association! Ever hear of it? As a free thinking person, I associate with (or not) who I feel like associating with!

Old 08-28-2014, 09:48 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,068,982 times
If liberals ruled America there would be affirmative action on friends. Every white person would have to have x number of friends who were black of hispanic.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:57 AM

29,669 posts, read 16,723,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
It doesn't count. Those are fake friends, so the article is actually dumb. I don't make friends based on skin color, I make them based on character. How about you?
So by your logic, even their fake friends are all white, doesnt that make the OP's point even more profound ?

If you want to argue that some people have friends who never use social media, then that could indeed be made, but to argue that the entire thing is fake is just childish because you dont like the results of the study.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:57 AM

41,109 posts, read 25,898,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
The best is when they assume that you are poor, jobless, and generally shiftless becaue that is what they have been conditioned to believe.
Yet blacks make no assumptions about whites. Ok, sure.

Quote:
Most minorities don't get the luxury of living in a cultural bubble.
Quote:
They are the ones most guilty of it. They create violent neighborhoods and segregate themselves into them creating the cultural bubble that most others don't want anything to do with.
^^^

Old 08-28-2014, 10:02 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,057,725 times
Quote:
They are the ones most guilty of it. They create violent neighborhoods and segregate themselves into them creating the cultural bubble that most others don't want anything to do with.
Uh huh sure because there is NO such thing as housing discrimination? I live in so-called liberal NYC and when I was still renting I experienced housing discrimination. Most of the times it was subtle but twice it was blatant.

My dh and I have a combined income of over 100k and I had corporate and teaching experience before I became an RN. I'm stating this because my voice sounds racially neutral. I was recommended to one landlord by a Philipino coworker (so I guess she thought I was Philipino). Both times over the phone landlords inquired about our income (over 100k) jobs( very stable with a long work history) credit (both scores over 700) etc. Both times everything was great & the landlord was thrilled but when we showed up to look at the apt it was a totally different story.

The first landlord showed me a different apt from the one she wanted to rent. It was a total disaster...crumbling walls, garbage strewn around the apt etc. I asked how could she show an apt like that and she said that the apt was going to rent as is. Of course I declined but when I went back to my co-worker she asked me what floor the apt was on and when I told her she was like: That's not the apt!

What else could be the explanation?

The second was an Albanian and he was thrilled when I called but same thing when I showed up. The landlord went from being warm over the phone to being distant and very unfriendly when I showed up in person. I didn't want the apt anyway since it was in a walk-up building with a narrow stair case but it was very hurtful when some white people showed up...tatooed, wearing shorts and just looking scruffy...and the landlord was super nice to them and acted like they already had the apt.

This is why in places like the Bronx you will see high concentration of working & middle blacks in places like Parkchester. It's because the complexes are huge and the management companies don't want discrimination cases but if you try to rent in a private house or a single owner building forget it. You're not getting that apt.

So please spare me your story about how blacks choose to live in segregated neighborhoods when even a good income/job/credit rating isn't enough to secure you a rental.

I finally decided to buy and you know why I bought in a black neighborhood?

WHITE FLIGHT.

I had a white realtor and he was awesome. He showed me homes in a white area but I choose a black area because I wasn't going to buy a more expensive house next to white people who would just sell and go elsewhere. I would lose money that way when the property values go down.

Edit to add: As far as the Parkchester complex goes you can google about the history of racial discrimination there. It was a huge complex built right after WWII but up until the 70s blacks were banned. It was only due to a lawsuit and bringing in the ACLU that Parkchester was opened up to minorities.

This is NYC so I can only imagine what goes on in areas where there are very few minorities.

Last edited by Jasper03; 08-28-2014 at 10:15 AM..

Old 08-28-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I have never met a single person who purposefully moved to a bad neighborhood.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The study itself talked about social media though.

Im not sure if the person I was responding to didnt realize that, or if they just want to be like you and completely toss aside the premise of this debate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
So by your logic, even their fake friends are all white, doesnt that make the OP's point even more profound ?

If you want to argue that some people have friends who never use social media, then that could indeed be made, but to argue that the entire thing is fake is just childish because you dont like the results of the study.
dsjj251, you started with an attack on SourD. The rest of your argument makes absolutely no sense.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I finally decided to buy and you know why I bought in a black neighborhood?

WHITE FLIGHT.

I had a white realtor and he was awesome. He showed me homes in a white area but I choose a black area because I wasn't going to buy a more expensive house next to white people who would just sell and go elsewhere. I would lose money that way when the property values go down.
So you CHOSE to live in a black neighborhood.

Impression is everything. It's the people that give the impression that you should be upset with.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
dsjj251, you started with an attack on SourD. The rest of your argument makes absolutely no sense.
It wasnt an attack it was an observation. The Original Post I responded to was about the fact that " No one has 100 friends , they have 4 or 5"

I then replied by saying " you only have 4 friends on social media", because the OP itself talks abotu social media.

Thats when SourD chimed in, and he indeed tossed asided the Premise of the OP, are you claiming he didnt ?

And as for you saying my post didnt make sense, maybe its because you should have read it in its totality.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:10 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,057,725 times
Thank you for ignoring the rationale behind my actions and cherry-picking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So you CHOSE to live in a black neighborhood.

Impression is everything. It's the people that give the impression that you should be upset with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.