Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 08:30 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,437,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Japan invaded China seeking to end western influence in Asia, I guess they didn't like it when they found out that included western oil, eh? Like they say in the real world: Be careful what you ask for

I don't think it makes any sense at all and have extreme difficulty believing such treason could have been covered up for 70+ years.

So, you don't want to sell someone some of your resources and it justifies their attack on you? I'd say they're damn lucky Japan isn't a US territory at this point. I'm no great fan of the places this country has stuck its nose where it didn't belong but in the case of Japan I have no other thought than they got what they asked for.
And did we have a mutual protection agreement with China? No

And yes, embargos and sanctions can be seen as acts of war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 08:48 AM

68,353 posts, read 54,544,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
And did we have a mutual protection agreement with China? No
And? Doesn't give much credence to Japanese common sense thinking they could end western influence in Asia while at the same time enjoying the benefits of western resources, eh?

Quote:
And yes, embargos and sanctions can be seen as acts of war.
By that logic Cuba would be justified in attacking the US.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:42 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,015,729 times
Quote:
We're approaching the time of year when someone will no doubt start a thread saying how wrong we were to use nuclear weapons against Japan.

I say Thank You! to Dutch and every other member of the crews of the Enola Gay and Bockscar as well as to Harry Truman for ordering the missions that brought a swift end to WWII and saved both American and Japanese lives by making an invasion of the Japanese mainland unnecessary.

It was sad that it came to it, and I hope that there is never a scenario where nukes are used again. But I believe it ended up saving more American and Japanese lives than if we would have invaded the mainland, in which who knows how long the war would have dragged on?

Old 07-30-2014, 12:22 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,015,729 times
Quote:
Attacking Pearl harbor unprovoked was inexcusable but you ignore that, eh? and just WHY should anything but unconditional surrender have been considered acceptable? Since when do the losers of war set the terms? The Japanese Emperor needlessly prolonged the war, NO ONE else.
Quote:
Unprovoked?

We cut off their oil supply, and that was going to end their war machine.

We did push back, they pushed back harder. There are those who still believe that the Japanese were allowed to sink the older Navy vessels at Pearl Harbor. It makes sense considering the anti war sentiment in America at the time.

No one knows for sure, but we did provoke the Pearl Harbor attack. Not saying it was deserved, but we were provocative.

Yeah, I was gonna say... they weren't exactly unprovoked. Though they should have known better than to try to take a poke at us. In fact the Admiral who led the invasion even stated that he knew that the Japanese couldn't win against the US long term.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:59 PM

792 posts, read 636,941 times
Okay, I don't deny that the nuclear bombs prevented millions more deaths in an invasion of Japan. But why are we honoring the flight crews? There's many more people who committed acts of valor in WWII, but they've been forgotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies