Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 07:14 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,691,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Really? gasoline prices are set for an all time high this summer?

uhmmm...aside from whatever is going on in Iraq, (as you indicate)....thats not true at all. Gas prices have gone down the last three years. Or do you mean not counting for inflation? I suppose we could do that, and then we could say:
"Almost every damn thing has gone up in the last few years"
I was just reporting what I heard on the news, oil prices are predicted to go up this summer, I did not make it up. The report I heard on the news was that oil prices were predicted to hit new highs again this summer.

Go ahead and Google oil prices yourself, and tell me they are going down. But go ahead and make this about what I said, and not about the actual topic at hand, which is raising taxes on gasoline when the prise is predicted to go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 07:18 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,413,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Why don't they just take our whole paycheck.
Stop it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
It won't. It will be another lie, just like when they tell the public that bridge tolls will end once the construction costs are paid for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
You're not actually naive enough to believe that 100% of it would go to fix our infrastructure are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Impose a leech tax on all welfare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
This is the height of hubris.
To ask for more tax money while wasting billions incentivises an uprising.

Who in their right mind would not tell both these senators to go find the money in their infinite flow of tax payer cash they light their cigars with and give to cronies.

Dump both these guys next election as they are throwbacks from the height of government corruption and cronyism.

No dedicated tax ever ends up where it was promised.

Only a fool would think raising the gas tax is a sound idea.

Sure,the stimulus provided all the cash that would ever be needed for infrastructure repair...where is that money?

You enjoyed seeing Obama half snicker when asked about his promise of shovel ready jobs?

Gasoline is our sacred cow. Stay away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
This thread proves how people will fall for any excuse. Maybe if the already collected revenue wasnt diverted to other things there would be enough in the pot? I doubt it since it has been spending more than it takes in for decades, but it would be a start.
Fyi the fed guv stole er uh collected record tax revenue in 2012,2013 and thus far in 2014 and still we see the big government whiners advocating it steal er uh collect more out of our paychecks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
So what you are saying they built roads BEFORE they had a plan to maintain them.

And you want to give them even MORE money?

It always comes back to, what did they do with the money the collected?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It never ends and it's never enough. New Jersey wants to raise the gas tax 15 cents to fix infrastructure. We already pay tolls on the two main roads, tolls at the bridges, we already have a gas tax, we have the highest property taxes, high sales tax, high income tax... it's never enough and they will never use it to actually fix anything. They will give it to a politically connected contractor to stand on the road with a "slow" sign for 6 months and then tell us that the money is gone and they need to raise taxes again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
NOT JUST NO, BUT F NO. Not until money collected from fuel taxes is dedicated to highway construction and maintenance and nothing else. No wasting it on subsidizing fares on mass transit, riders can pay their own way. And for damn sure no wasting it on bike trails-bike riders can also learn to pay their own way for places to ride their toys.

So let's summarize this thread.

Don't increase taxes for its intended purpose, because the government wastes some of it.

That logic is equivalent to.. don't make laws because people break them. Why even have a government? None of you want it anyway.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
NOT JUST NO, BUT F NO. Not until money collected from fuel taxes is dedicated to highway construction and maintenance and nothing else. No wasting it on subsidizing fares on mass transit, riders can pay their own way. And for damn sure no wasting it on bike trails-bike riders can also learn to pay their own way for places to ride their toys.
oh get over yourself.

I ride to work on my bicycle.

I own a car.
I pay registration / vehicle fees.
I pay gas tax when I actually use gas.
I pay income tax.
I pay sales tax
I pay property tax.

Get off your moral high horse. Only 50% of road maintenance is covered by gas taxes and tolls now. Surprise? The other 50% is subsidy from people like me who pay income taxes but don't contribute to road damage. I am subsidizing YOU. Let that sink in and focus on curing your car-oil dependency.

Last edited by Opin_Yunated; 06-20-2014 at 07:32 AM..

Old 06-20-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I thought the trillion dollar stimulus was supposed to go towards infrastructure?
Yes, let's talk about stimulus.

Stimulus was used by Republican governors to fix their own budget deficits, so that they can give more tax cuts to their wealthy. The stimulus money allocated to states for infrastructure was blocked. The most notables were Ohio, Florida, and Wisconsin; all of whom had Republican governors that turned down >$1 billion to improve rail infrastructure.

Don't even get me started on the Republican governors that openly denied Medicaid expansion, paid for by the Fed.

The right wing constantly complains about stimulus and Federal government doing nothing, while they do their damnest to make sure it fails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I get it. The fed raises CAFE (I believe that is what it is called) standards in order to make cars get better gas mileage which lowers consumption which in theory lowers how much money the fed takes in in taxes.

Being the very smart business men that they are, they NOW want to RAISE the taxes, wait for it, in order to make up for the lost tax revenue they CREATED with Cafe standards.

And some actually support them believing they know what they are doing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I see nothing in the news to validate this. Please provide a link.

Gasoline consumption is decreasing, because MPG is increasing and people are driving less. Yet the roads, bridges, etc. need funding. Hybrid and electric car drivers are under-funding the roads they drive on.

But you see the issue is clear...

Highway gas taxes go toward the trust fund.. which goes to infrastructure. If infrastructure funding isn't covered, the difference is drawn from income taxes to fund the bare minimum maintenance. In the end, we get awful roads and higher income taxes.

Why wouldn't we want drivers to pay for their own infrastructure? Sounds hypocritical...

Don't raise the gas tax? More income tax will be diverted from the general fund to go towards bare minimum maintenence. Crappy roads will continue, businesses will suffer, and more tax money will be "wasted" from the general fund which could go to more beneficial services. Sound good?

Old 06-20-2014, 09:18 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,429,673 times
It should be at least $0.50 more a gallon.

Liberals want a carbon tax - this would curtail CO2. They can take the bus.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:05 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,325,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I see nothing in the news to validate this. Please provide a link.

Gasoline consumption is decreasing, because MPG is increasing and people are driving less. Yet the roads, bridges, etc. need funding. Hybrid and electric car drivers are under-funding the roads they drive on.
The Corker-Murphy Gas Tax Hike: A Good Idea Spoiled - Forbes

Old 06-20-2014, 10:24 AM

39,884 posts, read 26,558,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
oh get over yourself.

I ride to work on my bicycle.

I own a car.
I pay registration / vehicle fees.
I pay gas tax when I actually use gas.
I pay income tax.
I pay sales tax
I pay property tax.

Get off your moral high horse. Only 50% of road maintenance is covered by gas taxes and tolls now. Surprise? The other 50% is subsidy from people like me who pay income taxes but don't contribute to road damage. I am subsidizing YOU. Let that sink in and focus on curing your car-oil dependency.

First, only 60% of the fuel tax collected actually goes to highway construction and maintenance. This is borderline criminal. Paying for Pet Projects at the Pump | NCPA

c
Quote:

Federally Mandated Enhancement Projects. In order to
receive federal highway funds, the states must comply with myriad federal
mandates. For example:

• The Davis-Bacon Act requires most federally funded highway construction
    projects to pay workers union wages and benefits, which are usually higher than
    market wages and benefits.
  • Some funds may only be used in areas that do not meet Environmental
    Protection Agency air quality standards, on projects intended to reduce
    emissions, such as carpool lanes or roundabouts to improve traffic
    flow.
About 10 percent of federal highway funds in the Surface Transportation
Program must be used for traffic enhancements, such as highway beautification
and transportation museums. Between 2005 and 2009, the program averaged $6.51
billion in revenue. This is a sizable portion of the roughly $32 billion a year
in revenues collected by the Highway Trust Fund.
another example

Quote:

The Federal Highway Administration also allocates gas tax revenues to
programs that are tangentially related to transportation, but do not involve
building and maintaining roads and bridges. Indeed:

• From 1992-2010, $4.89 billion went to pedestrian and bicycle facilities,
    according to the National Transportation Enhancements Clearinghouse.
  • Another $1.26 billion was used for landscaping and scenic
    beautification.
In addition, mass transit projects are allocated 2.86 cents of the 18.4 cent
federal fuel tax, a diversion of about 16 percent of the tax from highway
users.
If we actually spent the entire gas tax on highways, there would be no, or very little, "shortfall".

Quit wasting fuel tax on non-highway projects. Make mass transit riders pay their own way, and have bicyclists pay for their own toys. Take it further and eliminate the requirement for Davis-Bacon prevailing wage provisions that has someone holding a stop sign making $30 an hour and require that any tax money only go to the lowest bidder with a proven record, with no requirement to support union or minority owned contractors. Once the theft of gas tax funds is addressed, and public projects are actually managed in an efficient manner, I'm willing to consider more in fuel tax.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:25 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,947,024 times
Its just a proposal with the need for more highway funds. I think it should be addressed more at state level and local level really. The stimulus was just a example of spin as we saw what it was sold as and what really happened to the money.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:26 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,144,119 times
No taxation without representation!

Old 06-20-2014, 10:27 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,216,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
A bump at the pump? Senators propose a 12-cent hike in federal gas tax. - The Washington Post

This is desperately needed. Considering it took 20 years since the last one maybe they should index it to inflation while they're at it.

I think that they should just get rid of the entire tax on gas, it is not as if the feds do anything at all to make the gas at all.

also, if they pass such a tax, then they should update all refineries and make more new efficient refineries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies