Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 08:47 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times

Advertisements

When the government gets involved, even at the state level, things end up costing many times more than they should, fleecing the treasuries of other peoples money, along with providing bogus below par services with their involvement.

All one has to do, is look at the Veterans Administration and their government run healthcare.
Neglect, corruption and cover-up, with certain death panels.

Then look at the cost of public school and the cost of private school.
We are taxed out the ass, for public education. I'm even taxed additionally for Community colleges.
They spend an average of $20,000 per student, with graduation rates in the 60%, of those that do graduate, only 22% of them are college bound.
Compare that to Private Christian school education.
Each parent here spends between $300 & $700 a month. $4000-$9000 a year spent on each child's education.
They graduate 100% of their class, of which 98% are college bound.

Tell me if the government does a better job than the private sector, that is doing it on their own, without the government involvement and all the bureaucracy, grabbing at the cash that could be spent by We The People, on much better and productive things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 08:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Yup..CC required many financial changes in schools and Uncle Sam didn't give them the money to do it.
CC also requires the new testing all be done online.
You think every school in the US is set up for online testing ?

Old 05-13-2014, 08:48 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,737,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When the government gets involved, even at the state level, things end up costing many times more than they should, fleecing the treasuries of other peoples money, along with providing bogus below par services with their involvement.

All one has to do, is look at the Veterans Administration and their government run healthcare.
Neglect, corruption and cover-up, with certain death panels.

Then look at the cost of public school and the cost of private school.
We are taxed out the ass, for public education. I'm even taxed additionally for Community colleges.
They spend an average of $20,000 per student, with graduation rates in the 60%, of those that do graduate, only 22% of them are college bound.
Compare that to Private Christian school education.
Each parent here spends between $300 & $700 a month. $4000-$9000 a year spent on each child's education.
They graduate 100% of their class, of which 98% are college bound.

Tell me if the government does a better job than the private sector, that is doing it on their own, without the government involvement and all the bureaucracy, grabbing at the cash that could be spent by We The People, on much better and productive things.
and the parents pay taxes in addition to tuition.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I am receiving care at the Manchester, NH Veteran's hospital. The quality of the service and the medical care is excellent without any substantial wait and courteous service.

Public schools have to attempt to educate everyone including the disruptive little thugs and grandstanding anti social wise asses. Private schools, like the public schools in the 50's, do not. Very likely private religious schools have to graduate everybody or the next year's kids would stop coming. Besides teaching religious absurdity with scientific observation and rational thought is mutually exclusive.

How many of the "We the people" would be wasting their excess cash on beer, booze and religious scams anyway.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:58 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,737,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am receiving care at the Manchester, NH Veteran's hospital. The quality of the service and the medical care is excellent without any substantial wait and courteous service.

Public schools have to attempt to educate everyone including the disruptive little thugs and grandstanding anti social wise asses. Private schools, like the public schools in the 50's, do not. Very likely private religious schools have to graduate everybody or the next year's kids would stop coming. Besides teaching religious absurdity with scientific observation and rational thought is mutually exclusive.

How many of the "We the people" would be wasting their excess cash on beer, booze and religious scams anyway.
All acceptable arguments except the religious part- not all private schools are religious.

Parents should have access to any school they want to send their children too.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:

I went to a Catholic school...K-12.
Not only did we learn about Darwin and evolution in Science class but we also studied all the religions of the world in Religion class.

Don't believe the propaganda being sold by a few extremists that religious schools don't teach science.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:27 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Private schools can turn away anyone, public schools cannot. Personally I think we just need to restructure our schools where a teacher stays with the same group of students for several years so that teacher can best monitor the learning rate of their students directly.

There is a charter school in Portland that does that and the rate of learning that I have seen first hand has been amazing.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Private schools can turn away anyone, public schools cannot. Personally I think we just need to restructure our schools where a teacher stays with the same group of students for several years so that teacher can best monitor the learning rate of their students directly.

There is a charter school in Portland that does that and the rate of learning that I have seen first hand has been amazing.
You'd have to restructure the entire education of teachers because they don't get training for K-12.

Once in middle school teachers are content qualified.
I'm certified in Math 4-8 and Math 8-12.

And most teachers have a preference for the grades they like to teach and are good at.
I prefer MS and HS to elementary.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:34 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:

You're using one Veterans Hospital as an example? The VA is a disgrace. The claims that our Veterans are waiting for is the exact opposite of what you describe. Our veterans deserve better.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:34 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You'd have to restructure the entire education of teachers because they don't get training for K-12.

Once in middle school teachers are content qualified.
I'm certified in Math 4-8 and Math 8-12.

And most teachers have a preference for the grades they like to teach and are good at.
I prefer MS and HS to elementary.
They don't have to be K-12, K-6 would be a massive improvement and something as a country we should be moving towards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies