Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 09:50 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,331,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They spend an average of $20,000 per student, with graduation rates in the 60%, of those that do graduate, only 22% of them are college bound.
Compare that to Private Christian school education.
Each parent here spends between $300 & $700 a month. $4000-$9000 a year spent on each child's education... snipped
The parents might be charged $9K a year, but educational cost is much more than that. Just because something is subsidized by donations does not mean it is not subsidized. Take a look around at the better private schools, The true cost is going to be closer to $20K-$30K for the good schools and close to $35K+ for the best. Private schools can kick out non performers though, so I don't know that you can strictly compare by how many students go to college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 10:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,978,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The parents might be charged $9K a year, but educational cost is much more than that. Just because something is subsidized by donations does not mean it is not subsidized. Take a look around at the better private schools, The true cost is going to be closer to $20K-$30K for the good schools and close to $35K+ for the best. Private schools can kick out non performers though, so I don't know that you can strictly compare by how many students go to college.
So do public colleges..it's called academic suspension when they don't meet the min GPA.
At that point they can no longer take classes at the university until they pull up their GPA.
This means they have to take a class and pass it somewhere else (usually CC) and transfer the passing grade.

First you get a warning, then suspension and then expulsion.
2.5 is the min GPA you must maintain at most colleges.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:18 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,342,322 times
Well at east they did create another Veterans hospital situation by single payer system that would mean they ran the entire healthcare system.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:20 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,515,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So do public colleges..it's called academic suspension when they don't meet the min GPA.
At that point they can no longer take classes at the university until they pull up their GPA.
This means they have to take a class and pass it somewhere else (usually CC) and transfer the passing grade.

First you get a warning, then suspension and then expulsion.
2.5 is the min GPA you must maintain at most colleges.
2.5, really? I thought it was lower, 2.0 (a "C" average) max, sometimes lower for a period of time.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:25 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,515,842 times
I haven't found one post I totally agree with yet! (Big surprise!)

Yes, public schools have to take all comers. Compulsory attendance laws mean no simply kicking students out until at least age 16. Alternative arrangements have to be made. Charter schools are the devil's work, IMO. Most of them do no better of a job at educating students than the neighborhood schools, some of them are worse. The better ones in my area have found that they need certified teachers. Just being an expert in a subject is not enough to teach kids. Many cities encourage charter schools so the yuppies will stay in the city once they have kids of school age. The only thing good about charter schools is that they keep the kids and their parents in the public school system.

Of course not all religious schools teach creationism and the like. But some do. I'd go with a Catholic or Lutheran school myself, over the fundamentalist Christian schools. Some religious schools do provide special ed, but many do not.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:31 AM

9,700 posts, read 5,157,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When the government gets involved, even at the state level, things end up costing many times more than they should, fleecing the treasuries of other peoples money, along with providing bogus below par services with their involvement.

All one has to do, is look at the Veterans Administration and their government run healthcare.
Neglect, corruption and cover-up, with certain death panels.

Then look at the cost of public school and the cost of private school.
We are taxed out the ass, for public education. I'm even taxed additionally for Community colleges.
They spend an average of $20,000 per student, with graduation rates in the 60%, of those that do graduate, only 22% of them are college bound.
Compare that to Private Christian school education.
Each parent here spends between $300 & $700 a month. $4000-$9000 a year spent on each child's education.
They graduate 100% of their class, of which 98% are college bound.

Tell me if the government does a better job than the private sector, that is doing it on their own, without the government involvement and all the bureaucracy, grabbing at the cash that could be spent by We The People, on much better and productive things.
Yes b/c that's what equality & equal access requires. You think the private enterprise is going to spend money for charity? No.

Not everything needs to be justified by the profit. It's not the only metric that counts for society. American Conservatives are the last of a dying breed that treat capitalism as some sacrosanct aspect that must always be adhered to. If anything, that's going to be the death knell of this country and what is going to let the rest of the world catch up to us.

While the rest of the world invests in their communities and "spreads the wealth around" we're arguing over the profitability of feeding poor kids dinner and repairing bridges.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,978,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I haven't found one post I totally agree with yet! (Big surprise!)

Yes, public schools have to take all comers. Compulsory attendance laws mean no simply kicking students out until at least age 16. Alternative arrangements have to be made. Charter schools are the devil's work, IMO. Most of them do no better of a job at educating students than the neighborhood schools, some of them are worse. The better ones in my area have found that they need certified teachers. Just being an expert in a subject is not enough to teach kids. Many cities encourage charter schools so the yuppies will stay in the city once they have kids of school age. The only thing good about charter schools is that they keep the kids and their parents in the public school system.

Of course not all religious schools teach creationism and the like. But some do. I'd go with a Catholic or Lutheran school myself, over the fundamentalist Christian schools. Some religious schools do provide special ed, but many do not.
In Texas it's 18. From 18-26 though they can be expelled. They can leave school at 17 with parental permission.

Only 22 states have a CSA of 16.
Most of the rest have 17-18.
Obama wants all states to change their CSA to 18 and started that push in 2012.

Table 5.1. Compulsory school attendance laws, minimum and maximum age limits for required free education, by state: 2013
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies