Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 04:25 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,163,204 times

Advertisements

TV Weather Forecasters are generally just presenters who read an autocue/teleprompter and are not really qualified to give a definitive research driven analysis of climate change.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:38 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
TV Weather Forecasters are generally just presenters who read an autocue/teleprompter and are not really qualified to give a definitive research driven analysis of climate change.
But I'll bet none of them refuse to divulge how they came to the conclusion that its going to rain tomorrow.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:38 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,079,633 times
Quote:
Meteorologists aren't climatologists. The OP's own reference points this out. I'm sure he meant to include this but just forgot.
Please..please..GW be real give meaning to my life!

Old 05-07-2014, 04:49 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,397 times
I'm in the business of construction... and you don't know how much money we have lost due to wrong forecasts. Just last week, we canceled construction due to "severe weather conditions". Turned out to be sunny all day. My laborers (most are republicans) hate wrong forecasts because a day like that = no work day(s).

Since when are people who read from a screen gods in predicting climate change (or the lack thereof)?

Old 05-07-2014, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
But I'll bet none of them refuse to divulge how they came to the conclusion that its going to rain tomorrow.
They look at the forecast given by meteorological offices, such as the Met Office in the UK. They don't conduct their own weather forecast, they rely on the information given to them via the supercomputers, satellites and weather stations.

Certain institutions such as the BBC, do actually use people from the Meteorological Office to present the weather, but this is the exception rather than the rule and by and large you don't need any qualifications to be a weather presenter.

Presenters such as Ulrika Jonsson started their careers as weather presenters on Breakfast Television in the UK.

Ulrika Jonsson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Bamford; 05-07-2014 at 05:01 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 04:55 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
I'm in the business of construction... and you don't know how much money we have lost due to wrong forecasts. Just last week, we canceled construction due to "severe weather conditions". Turned out to be sunny all day. My laborers (most are republicans) hate wrong forecasts because a day like that = no work day(s).

Since when are people who read from a screen gods in predicting climate change (or the lack thereof)?
Predicting weather is one of the most difficult models to create. Both the computing power necessary and the huge number of inputs into the model make the accuracy of any weather forecast an accuracy boondoggle. Back in the day, when I did more modeling and simulation, I worked on both weather and climate models. I'll tell you this - neither is something I would hang my hat on. The accuracy is dismal on both, albeit it's better than it used to be but still woefully inaccurate.

I think the days of just having a random person 'read' the weather is past. One of my good friends from college is now a television meteorologist. He had to get advanced degrees in meteorology to get his job. So, I wouldn't necessarily discount their opinions.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:07 AM

33,524 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
They look at the forecast given by meteorological office, such as the Met Office in the UK.
But the Met office says this about climate change.... What is climate change? - Met Office. They certainly do not deny it.

The US National Weather service says this... http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/brochures...matechange.pdf

I guess the TV weather forecasters didn't get the memo..

Old 05-07-2014, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
But the Met office says this about climate change.... What is climate change? - Met Office. They certainly do not deny it.

The US National Weather service says this... http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/brochures...matechange.pdf

I guess the TV weather forecasters didn't get the memo..

The Met Office has the Hadley Centre which does a lot of research in to climate change, as does the Tyndall Centre, the Royal Society and others. I don't think there are as many climate change deniers and skeptics outside the US, and as for Weather Presenters, the emphasis really being on the term presenter rather than weather expert or climate researcher.

Met Office Hadley Centre - Met Office

Old 05-07-2014, 05:25 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The same report said 62% of Americans trust television weather reporters on climate change far more than they do climate scientists....This says a lot more about the intellect of most Americans than it does about science....Most Americans also believe that some magical sky daddy created and controls everything, so I'm not surprised that they prefer their fantasies over facts.

Says a lot about the the trustworthiness of the climate science industrial complex.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:27 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
Maybe because they spent all of their mental energy learning how to point to the screen properly.
I don't know, it takes a long time and is hard work to learn how to color your hair and stand up without falling forward...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies