Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 07:16 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times

Advertisements

Much as been published in the media about this -

Is Waterboarding torture?

Should we, as a nation, condone it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 07:40 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,435,254 times
Why don't you volunteer for it and report back to us? I'd be interested to hear your feedback.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:41 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,819,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

No, but that doesnt mean that we shouldnt use it if needed, Torture is such a relative term, My mother swears that severe tickling is a form of torture!

Old 12-08-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Why don't you volunteer for it and report back to us?
While I won't "volunteer", I do know two people who went through it for training purposes

Old 12-08-2007, 08:14 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,435,254 times
Quote:
While I won't "volunteer", I do know two people who went through it for training purposes

Where was this, and what did they think? What on earth were they "training for", torturing people?

Old 12-08-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Where was this, and what did they think?
Military training - preparing them for being a prisoner of war.

It was tough but, they got through it OK

Old 12-08-2007, 08:21 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
No, but that doesnt mean that we shouldnt use it if needed, Torture is such a relative term, My mother swears that severe tickling is a form of torture!
I've heard exactly the same--that unrelenting, ongoing tickling is torture....
And just yersterday, I heard a radio interview in which the speaker suggested that people could be "conditioned" to resist waterboarding..in essence, since it is not designed to KILL, and its effects don't LAST, the real effect of it is extreme mental duress---one "thinks" he's about to drown. Mental training (said the speaker) can permit one to 'get through' waterboarding without 'breaking'....

Obviously, waterboarding is coercive. It's unpleasant, and it's of questionable ethics. But I still say there's a world of difference between that and extracting fingernails, or burning with an acetylene torch, or gouging out an eye, etc..

ALL coercion is ugly. But, to use the classic example, if YOU had a suspect in custody, and you KNEW that HE knew when, and how, thousands of innocent lives were about to be ended, and his info could help you PREVENT this, would you just "ask" him---or would you try sterner measures? Would you still consider "waterboarding" to be unacceptably brutal? It's an ugly world...

I'm not sure I put too much stock in our modern definition of "torture". After all, we live in a society in which a hand clapped on a shoulder, during the heat of an argument, is legally defined as "assault"...and can be prosecuted as such. I'm not sure I'd classify a "shoulder clap" or an "elbow grab" in the samr category as an attack with a baseball bat, But legally, they're all "assault". Torture, too, it seems to me, has LOTS of broad categories...

Old 12-08-2007, 08:22 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,294 times
Quote:
Much as been published in the media about this -

Is Waterboarding torture?

It's only torture for the subject.
Do we, as a nation, condone it?
How about this one:
Should we, as a _________ nation, condone it?
(fill in the adjective you think would best apply in the blank)

Old 12-08-2007, 08:27 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times
I'll go with McCain on the issue of what constitutes torture:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/26/us...6giuliani.html

For those who dislike reading attachments, the answer is "yes."

Old 12-08-2007, 08:30 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I've heard exactly the same--that unrelenting, ongoing tickling is torture....
And just yersterday, I heard a radio interview in which the speaker suggested that people could be "conditioned" to resist waterboarding..in essence, since it is not designed to KILL, and its effects don't LAST, the real effect of it is extreme mental duress---one "thinks" he's about to drown. Mental training (said the speaker) can permit one to 'get through' waterboarding without 'breaking'....

Obviously, waterboarding is coercive. It's unpleasant, and it's of questionable ethics. But I still say there's a world of difference between that and extracting fingernails, or burning with an acetylene torch, or gouging out an eye, etc..

ALL coercion is ugly. But, to use the classic example, if YOU had a suspect in custody, and you KNEW that HE knew when, and how, thousands of innocent lives were about to be ended, and his info could help you PREVENT this, would you just "ask" him---or would you try sterner measures? Would you still consider "waterboarding" to be unacceptably brutal? It's an ugly world...
It's all relative...pulling out only one fingernail isn't as bad as pulling all five.
Chopping off one finger isn't as bad as chopping off the hand.
Poking out one eye with a pencil isn't as bad as poking out both eyes.
Sounds like good ole Gestapo tactics and rationale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies