Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 04:15 PM

4,580 posts, read 4,130,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Using this definition:

Wouldn't anything the person being interrogated dislikes be torture?

If you REALLY dislike fingernails on a blackboard, would it be torture if it was repeatedly done in front of you???

If you find a half naked woman offensive,would it be torture to have one interrogate you?

Would eating beef in front of a Hindu be considered torture?
Thats annoying someone or defying their beliefs. To me I find Fox News annoying and would use torture as a metaphor to describe how I feel about it.

There is a big difference between this and almost killing them.

How about this. If continuing the tactic results in them passing out from pain, or dying, or developing a medical condition, then yes it probably is torture. I agree with Republicans on very little, but I do believe McCain has this right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 04:19 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post

How about this. If continuing the tactic results in them passing out from pain, or dying, or developing a medical condition, then yes it probably is torture. I agree with Republicans on very little, but I do believe McCain has this right.
Then waterboarding doesn't fit your definition of torture.

I think waterboarding is on the ragged edge,it doesn't meet the definition because it causes no lasting effects.

Is keeping a person awake for lengths of time torture?

Old 12-09-2007, 04:26 PM

24,540 posts, read 33,456,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMc View Post
We take them back to their cell and then we murder them. But only after we waterboard, rape, make them pose for perverted pictures, unleash dogs on them, crack their ribs, electrocute and beat them to a pulp.
Is that official U.S. policy? Take them back to their cell and murder them? No, it isn't. Several in the military have been sentenced to prison for doing that.

Quote:
url=http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article6188.htm]Iraqi In Custody Tortured To Death[/url]

US tortures two detainees to death in Afghanistan

US looks away as new ally tortures Islamists | The Guardian | Guardian Unlimited

American Soldiers Torturing Iraqis to Death?

Under The Same Sun: Tortured to Death? Yawn. (http://www.underthesamesun.org/content/2005/08/tortured_to_dea.html - broken link)

Report: Zaeef Tortured to Death in Guantanamo

Abu Ghraib part II (broken link)

When Americans Torture and Kill - New York Times
Incidents like the above are the exception, not the rule. And don't apply to 99% of the U.S. troops.
Incidents lke the above also happened during WWII and other wars, but that does not become the focal point of the war.

And I'll repeat... anyone in the U.S. military who wrongfully kills someone is prosecuted, so stop making out like the U.S. military is "evil," or "kill-happy."

Old 12-09-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Then waterboarding doesn't fit your definition of torture.

I think waterboarding is on the ragged edge,it doesn't meet the definition because it causes no lasting effects.

Is keeping a person awake for lengths of time torture?
If it is continued for a minute or two, it can kill them. Either by drowning or if some water gets into the lungs they can get a nice infection. I had pnuemonia 10 years ago (which can be caused by aspiration of fluids) and I still feel the effects.

I'm not familiar with the effects of sleep deprivation, but I'm betting that it causes some irreversable brain damage over time, as well as damage to other systems that aren't able to recover over a good nights sleep.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:30 PM

24,908 posts, read 39,381,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Incidents like the above are the exception, not the rule.
EXACTLY!! Thank you

Quote:
And don't apply to 99% of the U.S. troops.
I have to correct you on this. The percentage should be 99.9%

Old 12-09-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Is that official U.S. policy? Take them back to their cell and murder them? No, it isn't. Several in the military have been sentenced to prison for doing that.

Incidents like the above are the exception, not the rule. And don't apply to 99% of the U.S. troops.
Incidents lke the above also happened during WWII and other wars, but that does not become the focal point of the war.

And I'll repeat... anyone in the U.S. military who wrongfully kills someone is prosecuted, so stop making out like the U.S. military is "evil," or "kill-happy."
Here's a question though. How do those make us look overseas with other countries? Does that inspire cooperation out of fear? Does it inspire more terrorists out of spite.

Do the prisoners get a fair punishment or a slap on the wrist? How does it look to other countries whose help we need in finding terrorists?

99% is not good enough unfortunately. That 1% makes life a lot more dangerous for the other 99% that are overseas. (yes I'm aware its probably less than 1%, but hopefully you get the point)

If you really want to win the war on terror we need to create allies, not alienate them. Any torture or lack of disclosure and we can be made out to be the police state, the big brother that everyone fears.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Here's a question though. How do those make us look overseas with other countries? Does that inspire cooperation out of fear? Does it inspire more terrorists out of spite.
Let me try to be clear on this -

With all respect, when one of our troops picks up the body parts - multiple body parts of one of their comrades, that was Hacked up by one of the enemy - sliced and diced - their guts cut out - their eyeballs plucked out - and our guys capture the "bad guy" - frankly, I don't blame our guys for making a mistake once in a while. AND, I don't care what you think of them -

OK, I'm off my soapbox now

Old 12-09-2007, 04:48 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,146,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let me try to be clear on this -

With all respect, when one of our troops picks up the body parts - multiple body parts of one of their comrades, that was Hacked up by one of the enemy - sliced and diced - their guts cut out - their eyeballs plucked out - and our guys capture the "bad guy" - frankly, I don't blame our guys for making a mistake once in a while. AND, I don't care what you think of them -

OK, I'm off my soapbox now
And when one of our troops gets captured by a bad guy, whose seen his comrades die in every which way, do you blame him for getting a little revenge on our soldiers?

It's a slippery slope you go hurling yourself down when we start condoning this stuff. We all know its war, and bad things will happen, and otherwise decent people could lower themselves to the sadism of torture under such an environment. But that's why its important to make our official stance so overwhelmingly clear.

When you do the wink, nod and laugh about whether we torture, and then get cute with trying to define what is is, you invite the kinds of gross abuses we have seen the past 7 years.

I will never think its good enough to compare the actions of my country men with the most vile, uncivilized regimes in the world and think "eh, at least we're not that bad."

Old 12-09-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
And when one of our troops gets captured by a bad guy, whose seen his comrades die in every which way, do you blame him for getting a little revenge on our soldiers?
We do not "slice and dice"! In fact, our guys actually recover the bodies of the enemy, and treat them with respect -

The other side does not -

Old 12-09-2007, 05:12 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,146,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
We do not "slice and dice"! In fact, our guys actually recover the bodies of the enemy, and treat them with respect -

The other side does not -

Review the last sentence of my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies