Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 11:54 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,326,153 times

Advertisements

Only when I'm on my period do I wish I was a man. I do wonder what's it's like to be a guy and have sex and urinate.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:54 AM

784 posts, read 1,983,084 times
I do not wish I was born of the opposite gender as I'm very satisfied with being a man. I do wish that as a man, I had the same degree of social freedom that females have. I noticed that in the past 20 years or so that if a man does something that is not stereotypical male behavior, then his sexual orientation will almost surely get questioned and he will possibly face harassment. Honestly, do I envy women for having the advantage in this area? Sometimes yes, but I wouldn't want to be one. I know there are areas in which men have greater social freedom. I guess greater acceptance of the ability to do our own thing without harassment is what I truly yearn for.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
The problem is worse here in the USA. Men in other countries aren't quite as rigid in this regard. The man up & boys don't cry nonsense needs to stop. We need to allow people to be themselves.

Both men and women are subjected to unfair societal pressures. End that trend and watch people become much happier over time.

I even believe that children should be raised in far more gender neutral environments. I myself would have benefited from this immensely.
This is exactly what I am talking about in my previous post. One example, and I've discussed this on the Fashion forum, is that although it is now very taboo for men these days, I prefer to wear shorter shorts. Not daisy dukes, but mid-thigh length or so. I have faced negative reactions, mostly from Females, to include laughing, comments, and one occasion, having my picture taken with a cellphone. I have also been called gay for some of my taste in music. I guess these days, there's music that only women are supposed to listen to or like.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:43 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,977,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of a scientist are you, exactly?

Also, I think that your complaints in regards to gender/sex mostly, if not completely, have to do with gender roles. Hopefully gender roles will become much more flexible in the future, though it might take a long time for this to occur.
I'm an experimental psychologist/statistician. I also edit technical reports for other people "in my spare time." lol

Old 03-17-2014, 12:54 PM

7,145 posts, read 12,683,391 times
Wonder why the USA has such seemingly hard and fast gender roles...I see men in other countries walking about with arms around each other--gay and straight. Not here. Straight men rarely show affection toward other men the way straight women are "permitted" to do.

Here, in the US, a football player comes out as gay and you'd think the sky had fallen. Geez. What's the big deal? Does his sexual orientation matter if he's a great athlete? Do the other players really fear his possible advances in the locker room? Really??

Is it our Puritan heritage that everything must fall into black and white -- with no gray??

I wish we'd just all get along and accept one other for the terrific people we are with a common humanity sharing a small, fragile planet.

--end of rant--

Old 03-17-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Wonder why the USA has such seemingly hard and fast gender roles...I see men in other countries walking about with arms around each other--gay and straight. Not here. Straight men rarely show affection toward other men the way straight women are "permitted" to do.

Here, in the US, a football player comes out as gay and you'd think the sky had fallen. Geez. What's the big deal? Does his sexual orientation matter if he's a great athlete? Do the other players really fear his possible advances in the locker room? Really??

Is it our Puritan heritage that everything must fall into black and white -- with no gray??

I wish we'd just all get along and accept one other for the terrific people we are with a common humanity sharing a small, fragile planet.

--end of rant--
If you read my post about my experiences, one I left out was where men used to be able to compliment each other more and not be stereotyped as gay. I read an article one time that said the reason men no longer compliment each other in certain ways or wear certain clothing was because of the homophobic backlash to the Gay Rights movement in the 1980s and that men now had to dress and act in ways that show the world that they are straight men. As the dominant pop cultural force in America in the 1990s until about 2010, The Hip Hop/Young Urban movement with its hypermasculinity, is what I believe became the major defined in what was acceptable for men to wear, and to a lesser extent, how to act.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:19 PM

7,145 posts, read 12,683,391 times
Interesting point of view above. Not sure Hip Hop had that great an influence...it's not that popular in all places...outside of urban areas, is it the trend? Does it dictate male attitudes? Seems there are a lot of other influences in music and fashion other than Hip Hop.

What role does religious fundamentalism play? A large role--or not?

Old 03-17-2014, 01:22 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,027,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
What about MTF transititions? Are they usually highly effective as well?
Depends on many factors (age, male devopkment, overall health). In my case it's been very effective because I am 23 but didn't finish developing as a man due to testosterone production issues. They say in the case of FTM it's best to start before 25 but people vary. I'm very pleased so far aka consider myself highly passable already.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:26 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,027,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
This is exactly what I am talking about in my previous post. One example, and I've discussed this on the Fashion forum, is that although it is now very taboo for men these days, I prefer to wear shorter shorts. Not daisy dukes, but mid-thigh length or so. I have faced negative reactions, mostly from Females, to include laughing, comments, and one occasion, having my picture taken with a cellphone. I have also been called gay for some of my taste in music. I guess these days, there's music that only women are supposed to listen to or like.
I know what you're saying but you've just gotta do your thing and ignore them. I see many women who shouldn't even be wearing shorts like that so just keep yourself in shape if you're gonna do it. You and all other men who feel like dressing more feminine should just go ahead and do it. Start setting new trends and don't worry about stupid people who don't pay your bills anyway. The more people who break the norms the better. And I happen to love short shorts even on guys with the right body.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:57 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,801,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
Depends on many factors (age, male devopkment, overall health). In my case it's been very effective because I am 23 but didn't finish developing as a man due to testosterone production issues. They say in the case of FTM it's best to start before 25 but people vary. I'm very pleased so far aka consider myself highly passable already.
In regards to your own case, is this before you had any facial feminization surgery at all? I apologize for asking, but I am genuinely curious in regards to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies