Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 04:42 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,717,801 times

Advertisements

You conservatives would probably agree with him on this.

Quote:
As soon as he said it, he realized it may have been a mistake. Speaking at General Electric’s Waukesha Gas Engines facility this week, President Barack Obama told the crowd that “folks can make a lot more potentially with skilled manufacturing or the trades than they might with an art history degree.”

“Now, nothing wrong with an art history degree — I love art history,” Obama said to chuckles from the crowd. “So I don’t want to get a bunch of emails from everybody.”

“I’m just saying, you can make a really good living and have a great career without getting a four-year college education,” he continued, “as long as you get the skills and training that you need.” That last line was welcomed with an applause break.

While there is no evidence that America’s art history majors are going to start abandoning Obama in droves, he did manage to draw some backlash from the College Art Association’s director Linda Downs, who issued the following statement in response:
WATCH: Obama Slights Art History Majors During Speech | Mediaite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 04:43 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,476,408 times
I'm not a conservative.

And he is right. Art history is not going to make you much money generally.

This is a dull topic, neither informative, nor a controversy I would expect.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:47 PM

21,571 posts, read 10,691,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
You conservatives would probably agree with him on this.

WATCH: Obama Slights Art History Majors During Speech | Mediaite
I do agree with Obama on this one. Many people with Art History majors are probably destined to work in retail, teaching, or are already born wealthy. I'm sure it's very interesting, but aren't most Art History majors not really artists themselves? When I was younger and a girlfriend was studying Art History, we called it an MRS degree (in other words, going to college to make a good marriage match).

Old 02-01-2014, 05:01 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,586,952 times
If you like art history, by all means, major in it. I think those who pursue that major know that a job in that field isn't extremely high paying.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:08 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,717,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I do agree with Obama on this one. Many people with Art History majors are probably destined to work in retail, teaching, or are already born wealthy. I'm sure it's very interesting, but aren't most Art History majors not really artists themselves? When I was younger and a girlfriend was studying Art History, we called it an MRS degree (in other words, going to college to make a good marriage match).
Engineering grads also work retail.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:10 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,080,050 times
Well hell by the time the great leader is done he'll be paying folks twenty bucks an hour to slosh fries at Mcdonalds so yeah an art degree makes no sense. Just wait to get paid for your vote and all will be well.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:11 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,080,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I have a niece who majored in French and lives in Europe now just running around having a good time. I think she teaches here and there...........my uncle pays for everything she does though and every time I see him he just moans......

Old 02-01-2014, 05:13 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,475,125 times
If you like it, fine, but this concept of degrees that only qualify for a few low paying academic jobs flooded with new grads has been around since the early 1990's. It's pretty much one of the running puns of the movie PCU.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:22 PM

33,386 posts, read 35,009,282 times
the problem with college is that we graduate so many people in many different degree programs, that there really isnt enough jobs to go around for these people. art history is great, if you are going to run an art museum, or something along that line. but in the end for most people an art history degree is nice, but rather useless.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:22 PM

45,407 posts, read 26,671,848 times
So long as people spend their own money to go to school,its no one else's business what they major in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies