Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 10:32 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Do you feel they deserve to make hundreds of times more than their frontline workers who often aren't paid enough to even afford the kinds of things produced or sold or traded as services by those CEOs?

What about, say, hedge fund managers? The top 40 highest-"earning" hedge fund managers in 2013 made as much as 300,000 public school teachers.

Are they "worth" that? Do they "deserve" it?
You know, I was going to reply saying I agreed with you but your numbers weren't right. Because...welll....I found them unbelievable.

unfortunately your numbers are correct. Ouch. Thats...depressing.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:34 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually thats a very simplistic view. A over regulated economy? Really? We've seen massive growth in productivity year after year.

The flooded job market isnt going to go away, and illegals are only part of it. h1-b's, and the growing automation of jobs are just as important. Regulation in certain areas-such as financial are needed, and some better inspection of chemical plants apparently given multiple incidents.

You make statements here that have no factual backing mixed in with some factual things.
Everything posted is a simplistic view, I'm not going to write a 20 page easy about it and post it up for no one to read.

We havn't seen massive growth, we have seen QE pump billions of dollars a month to inflate the stock market. The real unemployment and underemployment rate is still very high, especially for black males and everyone under 30.

No one is saying that we should get rid of all regulation, but when it takes tens of thousands of dollars and months to open a small business something is wrong.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Do you feel they deserve to make hundreds of times more than their frontline workers who often aren't paid enough to even afford the kinds of things produced or sold or traded as services by those CEOs?

What about, say, hedge fund managers? The top 40 highest-"earning" hedge fund managers in 2013 made as much as 300,000 public school teachers.

Are they "worth" that? Do they "deserve" it?
Worth is determined by the people paying them. So yes, they are worth it. Everyone deserves what they are willing to earn.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:37 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,333,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You know, I was going to reply saying I agreed with you but your numbers weren't right. Because...welll....I found them unbelievable.

unfortunately your numbers are correct. Ouch. Thats...depressing.
It is depressing, and alarming.

I have no issue with people who have more than I do. I am not talking about your average Joe Multi-Millionaire. They are going to get screwed along with the rest of us in many ways.

My concern is that what we are moving towards is a huge grab for the concentration of unimaginable wealth and ownership into the hands of a very, very few people.

Soon, a couple hundred people worldwide will truly be the "1%" and they will own more and have more than the remaining 99% combined, rich or poor.

And by then, every one of us, in some way or another, will be working to subsidize the expenditures and lifestyles of those very few people, whether we like it or want it or not.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Worth is determined by the people paying them.
Which, unfortunately, is very often themselves.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Which, unfortunately, is very often themselves.
The board pays the CEO. If they paid themselves they would be the owner of the company.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:44 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
I have no problem with people making a living wage, they just have to earn it, not have it mandated by the government. Plus costs would just go up and more people will be laid off. Sounds like a great plan.

Wages are stagnant because of an over regulated economy and a flooded job market. The democrats want more regulation and to bring in more democrat voters, scratch that, I mean undocumented workers.
Anyone working a full time job is earning it, but currently not everyone is receiving a living wage for their work.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
The board pays the CEO. If they paid themselves they would be the owner of the company.
Oh trust me, I'm not saying the board (when there is one) doesn't get their slice of the pie!

That's why they butter that toast. To get theirs buttered in return.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:47 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I suggest those, who think the CEOs are worth that much, try to do some of their jobs. See how long you can last.

I know I can't do their job and I think they deserve the pay.
Actually it isn't really hard and if you fail at it or something goes wrong they just move you to somewhere else or give you a great golden parachute for being bad at your job. Most CEOs get their job because of who their parents are rather than what their talent is.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:47 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
Quote:
Do you understand how the board of directors works? Who pays them, how many are other ceos?

Do you know why there is voting and non-voting stocks? And how thats manipulated?

its all a good ol boys club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies