Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 05:35 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,778,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
You are changing your positions. You have a problem with the poor and middle classes not improving fast enough - then it is pointed out that the 99% average wages were down, that median household wealth is down and you deflect away and refuse to admit that this is a problem....
Actually wealth is up 19% from all time highs. But then again, I already told you that. Keep pushing the liberal talking points. Besides, you quoted me from last year proving I was saying the same thing then as I am now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 08:20 AM

37,961 posts, read 17,937,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Actually wealth is up 19% from all time highs. But then again, I already told you that. Keep pushing the liberal talking points. Besides, you quoted me from last year proving I was saying the same thing then as I am now.
You sure about that?

Changes in Wealth Inequality

The median household in 2013 had a net worth of just $56,335 -- 43% lower than the median wealth level right before the recession began in 2007, and 36% lower than a decade ago.

in 2013 dollars
2003 $87992
2007 $98872
2009 $70801
2013 $56335

http://web.stanford.edu/group/scspi/...lth-levels.pdf

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 10-22-2014 at 08:28 AM..

Old 10-22-2014, 09:01 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,245,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You sure about that?

The median household in 2013 had a net worth of just $56,335 -- 43% lower than the median wealth level right before the recession began in 2007, and 36% lower than a decade ago.

in 2013 dollars
2003 $87992
2007 $98872
2009 $70801
2013 $56335

If a liberal says it, its more often than not, a lie..

Old 10-22-2014, 09:07 AM

34,289 posts, read 19,433,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If a liberal says it, its more often than not, a lie..
so why dont you show us why its a lie? I mean really, he provides some numbers, prove them wrong.

I expect you can show them to be inaccurate, but I dont believe you can show them to be wrong. IE 40% lower instead of 43%, but thats due to how the source material estimated values before they were released. Heck it could be 45% just as easily.

Just saying"you lie" is a nice sound bite, but it really isnt worth saying unless you can show people why or how.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:09 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,857,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
For years now, the wingnuts have been telling us how it was just the administrations' QE propping up the stock market - that the recovery of the stock market was just an illusion, that US companies were not doing well enough to justify the higher stock prices, and that once QE ended stocks would crash back to where they were 5 years ago because "the economy was not recovering".

Well, the Fed announced today that they were starting scale back QE in January - and, the stock market shot up - ending the day in record territory with the DOW up nearly 300 points, the S&P up nearly 30 points and the NASDAQ up nearly 50 points.

Oppps!

Gold, on the other hand got clobbered - as I said it would.

Hmmmm.... could it be that all the nonsense about the stock market simply being propped up by QE was just that - nonsense?

Yup.

Ken
Queen Elizabeth?

Old 10-22-2014, 09:22 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,351,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
so why dont you show us why its a lie? I mean really, he provides some numbers, prove them wrong.

I expect you can show them to be inaccurate, but I dont believe you can show them to be wrong. IE 40% lower instead of 43%, but thats due to how the source material estimated values before they were released. Heck it could be 45% just as easily.

Just saying"you lie" is a nice sound bite, but it really isnt worth saying unless you can show people why or how.
He was commenting on lovehiscountry's post unless I am mistaken. Finn made a claim. It should be noted, a claim with nothing to support it. lhc......provided information with corresponding facts to show differently.

Was it originally a lie? I dunno.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You sure about that?

in 2013 dollars
2003 $87992
2007 $98872
2009 $70801
2013 $56335

Yes.

https://publications.credit-suisse.c...41B58C5EA591A4

After a fairly tumultuous period, wealth per adult has fully recovered, and is now 19% above the 2006 level. Despite the forthcoming termination of quantitative easing, the US economy is doing well. There is uncertainty about whether the stock market will continue to rise, but otherwise the signs are positive for household wealth in the immediate future.

The USA is unusual in having a very high proportion of assets (70%) reported as held in financial form, partly because it includes business equity wholly as a financial asset. Adopting the more usual procedure of treating unincorporated enterprises as part of the household sector, the share would be about 62%, which is still relatively high.

The USA has a larger number of active shareholders than most other countries. Also, compared with many other OECD countries, it has relatively more economic activity in the private sector than the public sector, and more outward foreign investment – both of which rely partly on financing by households. Debts of USD 57,800 per adult are not extreme by international standards. Compared to wealth distribution in the rest of the world, the USA has a high proportion of the population with wealth above USD 100,000.

The percentage of people with wealth at higher levels is even more disproportionate. The USA has by far the greatest number of members of the top 1% global wealth group, and accounts for 41% of the world’s millionaires. The number of UHNW individuals with wealth above USD 50 million is eight times that of the next country, China.

Isn't it refreshing to read a study which is not politically biased?

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 10-22-2014 at 11:26 AM..

Old 10-22-2014, 11:09 AM

34,289 posts, read 19,433,931 times
Quote:
Yes.

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]After a fairly tumultuous period, wealth per

adult has fully recovered, and is now 19% above the 2006

level. Despite the forthcoming termination of quantitative

easing, the US economy is doing well. There is uncertainty

about whether the stock market will continue to rise, but

otherwise the signs are positive for household wealth in the

immediate future.

The USA is unusual in having a very high proportion of

assets (70%) reported as held in financial form, partly because

it includes business equity wholly as a financial asset. Adopting

the more usual procedure of treating unincorporated enterprises

as part of the household sector, the share would be about

62%, which is still relatively high. The USA has a larger number

of active shareholders than most other countries. Also,

compared with many other OECD countries, it has relatively

more economic activity in the private sector than the public

sector, and more outward foreign investment – both of which

rely partly on financing by households. Debts of USD 57,800

per adult are not extreme by international standards.

Compared to wealth distribution in the rest of the world, the

USA has a high proportion of the population with wealth above

USD 100,000. The percentage of people with wealth at higher

levels is even more disproportionate. The USA has by far the

greatest number of members of the top 1% global wealth

group, and accounts for 41% of the world’s millionaires. The

number of UHNW individuals with wealth above USD 50 million

is eight times that of the next country, China.
[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]
#1 your link doesn't work, and even if it did....
#2 you're comparing the average wealth vs's the median. You are actually helping him prove his point.....

Old 10-22-2014, 11:33 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,351,625 times
Quote:
Yes.

After a fairly tumultuous period, wealth per adult has fully recovered, and is now 19% above the 2006 level. Despite the forthcoming termination of quantitative easing, the US economy is doing well. There is uncertainty about whether the stock market will continue to rise, but otherwise the signs are positive for household wealth in the immediate future.

The USA is unusual in having a very high proportion of assets (70%) reported as held in financial form, partly because it includes business equity wholly as a financial asset. Adopting the more usual procedure of treating unincorporated enterprises as part of the household sector, the share would be about 62%, which is still relatively high.

The USA has a larger number of active shareholders than most other countries. Also, compared with many other OECD countries, it has relatively more economic activity in the private sector than the public sector, and more outward foreign investment – both of which rely partly on financing by households. Debts of USD 57,800 per adult are not extreme by international standards. Compared to wealth distribution in the rest of the world, the USA has a high proportion of the population with wealth above USD 100,000.

The percentage of people with wealth at higher levels is even more disproportionate. The USA has by far the greatest number of members of the top 1% global wealth group, and accounts for 41% of the world’s millionaires. The number of UHNW individuals with wealth above USD 50 million is eight times that of the next country, China.

Isn't it refreshing to read a study which is not politically biased?
If you believe more wealth in the hands of the 1% because of the governments policy is a good thing, then yeah, this is refreshing.

I disagree.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If you believe more wealth in the hands of the 1% because of the governments policy is a good thing, then yeah, this is refreshing.
Actually it says nothing about government policy. It simply says the average wealth has recovered (+ some) since its peak in 2006. I said it is refreshing to read something without political bias, and you rush in to insert the bias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies