Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 04:35 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,304,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You are wondering if the Fed allows me to participate in "an insider trading program"? No, I was able to take advantage of the situation on my own. Sorry, I did not think it was a serious question.
One down. (Not really but whatever) now for the other question. The markets are at a record high, why is the Fed still propping it up and noting that they likely will for a long time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 04:38 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,727,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The mere perception of a mention of stopping QE sent the Dow reeling.:
Not true. The ending of the QE was announced a long time ago, and they have been reducing it for eight months now, and the market has been going up all along. Read the OP, which was posted in 2013.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
One down. (Not really but whatever) now for the other question. The markets are at a record high, why is the Fed still propping it up and noting that they likely will for a long time?
Yes, really. I gave you a direct answer to a silly question. The Fed announced the tapering of the QE last year and they have been tapering it on schedule. Why do they do it? The regulating the monetary system is one of their primary functions. That's why they do it.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Yes, really. I gave you a direct answer to a silly question. The Fed announced the tapering of the QE last year and they have been tapering it on schedule. Why do they do it? The regulating the monetary system is one of their primary functions. That's why they do it.
The markets are at record levels. They are saying they will continue to provide support for the foreseeable future. Why does a market at record numbers need supported?

Old 10-18-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
The markets are at record levels. They are saying they will continue to provide support for the foreseeable future. Why does a market at record numbers need supported?
Again: The Fed announced the tapering of the QE last year and they have been tapering it on schedule. Why do they do it? The regulating the monetary system is one of their primary functions. That's why they do it.

PS. I am not a spokesman for the Fed. I would not lose any sleep if the Fed was abolished next week.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:47 PM

S&P 500 Nears a Record on Bets Fed Will Support Economy

S&P 500 Nears a Record on Bets Fed Will Support Economy - Bloomberg

Why does the Fed need to support a market at record/near record levels?

Old 10-18-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
S&P 500 Nears a Record on Bets Fed Will Support Economy

S&P 500 Nears a Record on Bets Fed Will Support Economy - Bloomberg

Why does the Fed need to support a market at record/near record levels?
Your link says people are betting Fed will support the economy. It says the Fed is considering RAISING the interest rates sooner than planned.

It does not say:

1. What the Fed will actually do, it only says people are betting
2. Whatever the Fed will or will not do is to support the market, it says it would do it to support the economy

PS Your article is several months old, and was posted before the recent correction.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:05 PM

There was no correction. There was a small drop that the markets are making up after the Fed's words.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
There was no correction. There was a small drop that the markets are making up after the Fed's words.
The words you quoted were from August, which was before the 1000 point drop in DOW.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:39 PM

26,576 posts, read 15,145,042 times
Quote:
I can see you are a big fan of think progress. lol. It is mathematically impossible that 60 million Americans are all in your envied 1%, so it is not me who does not understand math.
Think Progress often makes solid points. Just like the Heritage Foundation and etc... You are wearing partisan blinders.

Those who are directly invested in stocks have "paper profits" - not realized gains. Many of those have $30,000 or less saved up.

You keep ignoring these two facts, because to support Obama slavishly you must be deceptive. You also keep ignoring the fact that the 99%'s income as a whole decreased during the recovery.

Quote:
Seventy-five percent of Americans nearing retirement age in 2010 had less than $30,000 in their retirement accounts. The specter of downward mobility in retirement is a looming reality for both middle- and higher-income workers. Almost half of middle-class workers, 49 percent, will be poor or near poor in retirement, living on a food budget of about $5 a day.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/22/op...ment.html?_r=0

Most Americans do not own stocks, 85% of low income households do not own stocks in a brokerage, 401K, IRA, etc...

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/h...tml/?a=viewall

Last edited by michiganmoon; 10-18-2014 at 06:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies