Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2013, 08:41 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times

Advertisements

I'm starting to think the reason for newspaper and magazine subscription numbers and TV news media ratings is that that the media can't stop watching each other.

How many times does a TV news pundit do a segment on some supposedly outrageous thing on another TV news channel you don't even watch? I can't be outraged by a guy I never heard of saying something nasty, stupid or over the top reported by a hyperventilating third party pundit. Believe it or not, my remote control can take me to those channels if I want to hear what that person has to say. In fact, I still wouldn't know who the guy was unless some other news channel gave them free publicity. And, it isn't just the TV news. How many times have you read one newspaper opinion jockey criticizing another newspaper that you would never be outraged about because you don't read it.

Last week Dana Millibank (Washington Post, I looked it up) suppposedly wrote something that would tick me off. Not only had I not read what Dana Millibank wrote, so I wasn't ticked off to begin with, but I had no idea Dana was a guy. (Isn't that a girl's name?) Yes, I've heard the name before but not because I read the Washington Post column he writes but because other news people talk about Dana. That's nice. Why don't you TV news media guys go out for cocktails and gossip among yourselves instead of making Dana the story? We're all not ga-ga over Dana like you guys in the NY/DC national news media apparently are. Or, maybe you TV news media types could talk amongst yourselves while Jay Carney is reading something profound in the White House press room and your eyes are glazing over?

Martin Bashir? Never heard of him. Yes, what he said about Sarah Palin was disgusting as the news media regurgitated it a bazillion times and I'm sure if you ask the 5 people (probably all other news people) who watched his show what they thought of it, you'd get an opinion. They showed his face on another news channel. Never saw him before, either. So, if nobody on other TV news channels opened their yapper, 1) I would have never heard of Bashir; 2) I wouldn't know what he looked like; 3) I would have no idea what he says about anything; 4) I would have no idea he was on MSNBC; 5) I wouldn't be outraged and calling for his head; 6) Sarah Palin wouldn't have been degraded because no one would have kept asking her about it. But noooooo.

An online news source that I read is now critiquing the Washington Posts picks for 2013 Winners and Losers. Do I really need a news media critique of a year in review news media critique? And OMIGOD, stop the presses, Time picked the pope. Who didn't weigh in on that one except every single regular person you know who isn't a member of the national news media. I'm sure it was the buzz in all the bingo halls...not.

And how many people here never actually saw The View but suffered through clips of those women every stinkin' night in primetime on the TV news? If I wanted to listen to a bunch of loud shrieking hens in a chicken coop with opinions no better than my mailman or plumber, I'd watch that show or record it and play it to get information out of terrorists.

Did you hear, Ed Shultz (he's the MSNBC one that looks like the "squeal like a pig" actor from the movie Deliverance) is in bed with the unions? I know this because I heard it on the news last night in yet another story about the news media. So, I got to thinking, if Ed Shultz is in bed with the unions why aren't they all watching his show along with the TV news media to jack up his ratings? Quick, let's bring in a panel to analyze!

Does anyone even remember what Obama was saying or doing when Matthews got the thrill up his leg?

P.S. This rant has nothing to do with shows that are actually about the media, like the one Howard Kurtz does.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 09:22 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm starting to think the reason for newspaper and magazine subscription numbers and TV news media ratings is that that the media can't stop watching each other.

How many times does a TV news pundit do a segment on some supposedly outrageous thing on another TV news channel you don't even watch? I can't be outraged by a guy I never heard of saying something nasty, stupid or over the top reported by a hyperventilating third party pundit. Believe it or not, my remote control can take me to those channels if I want to hear what that person has to say. In fact, I still wouldn't know who the guy was unless some other news channel gave them free publicity. And, it isn't just the TV news. How many times have you read one newspaper opinion jockey criticizing another newspaper that you would never be outraged about because you don't read it.

Last week Dana Millibank (Washington Post, I looked it up) suppposedly wrote something that would tick me off. Not only had I not read what Dana Millibank wrote, so I wasn't ticked off to begin with, but I had no idea Dana was a guy. (Isn't that a girl's name?) Yes, I've heard the name before but not because I read the Washington Post column he writes but because other news people talk about Dana. That's nice. Why don't you TV news media guys go out for cocktails and gossip among yourselves instead of making Dana the story? We're all not ga-ga over Dana like you guys in the NY/DC national news media apparently are. Or, maybe you TV news media types could talk amongst yourselves while Jay Carney is reading something profound in the White House press room and your eyes are glazing over?

Martin Bashir? Never heard of him. Yes, what he said about Sarah Palin was disgusting as the news media regurgitated it a bazillion times and I'm sure if you ask the 5 people (probably all other news people) who watched his show what they thought of it, you'd get an opinion. They showed his face on another news channel. Never saw him before, either. So, if nobody on other TV news channels opened their yapper, 1) I would have never heard of Bashir; 2) I wouldn't know what he looked like; 3) I would have no idea what he says about anything; 4) I would have no idea he was on MSNBC; 5) I wouldn't be outraged and calling for his head; 6) Sarah Palin wouldn't have been degraded because no one would have kept asking her about it. But noooooo.

An online news source that I read is now critiquing the Washington Posts picks for 2013 Winners and Losers. Do I really need a news media critique of a year in review news media critique? And OMIGOD, stop the presses, Time picked the pope. Who didn't weigh in on that one except every single regular person you know who isn't a member of the national news media. I'm sure it was the buzz in all the bingo halls...not.

And how many people here never actually saw The View but suffered through clips of those women every stinkin' night in primetime on the TV news? If I wanted to listen to a bunch of loud shrieking hens in a chicken coop with opinions no better than my mailman or plumber, I'd watch that show or record it and play it to get information out of terrorists.

Did you hear, Ed Shultz (he's the MSNBC one that looks like the "squeal like a pig" actor from the movie Deliverance) is in bed with the unions? I know this because I heard it on the news last night in yet another story about the news media. So, I got to thinking, if Ed Shultz is in bed with the unions why aren't they all watching his show along with the TV news media to jack up his ratings? Quick, let's bring in a panel to analyze!

Does anyone even remember what Obama was saying or doing when Matthews got the thrill up his leg?

P.S. This rant has nothing to do with shows that are actually about the media, like the one Howard Kurtz does.)
In other words, they slug at each other in public, but have cocktails and glad hand each other in private. They probably laugh at all the mainstream political partisans they rile up in this country including 99% of P&OC regulars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies