Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 10:34 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,182,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I don't put myself in 1 of 2 boxes to describe my entire worldview. How idiotic.

Besides, I thought it was a conservative viewpoint to pay as little in taxes as legally possible?

The conservative viewpoint is for the government to do only what is legally allowed under the Constitution as it is written and not interpreted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 10:36 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,786,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker
No. It means that politicians are pandering to the lower classes with subsidies and credits that wealthier people cannot qualify for in return for votes.

I get screwed every year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
No it doesn't mean that.
Yes it does. Politicians, specifically Obama pandered to the lower class. Why did it work? Because he knows you want what they have.

Did you get your piece of the pie yet????

Old 12-12-2013, 10:36 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,959,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
The conservative viewpoint is for the government to do only what is legally allowed under the Constitution as it is written and not interpreted.
I would hope everyone can agree with this (even if it's not our current reality).

Old 12-12-2013, 10:39 AM

15,653 posts, read 10,425,074 times
Quote:
Haha, I'm really not trying to deflect. I guess I would best decribe myself as fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

I am against paying Federal Income taxes because the waste, wars and constant bureaucratic growth is obvious.
I will only pay what is legally required and will look for any and every exemption. And I will not have the Feds take out any money throughout the course of the year-just bill me at tax season.
And yet, I know you are a liberal voter; I've read some of your posts in the past. You advocate strongly for generous taxpayer programs, yet admit to actively avoiding paying your fair share to support them.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
And yet, I know you are a liberal voter; I've read some of your posts in the past. You advocate taxpayer programs, yet admit to actively avoid paying your fair share.
But how am I not paying my fair share? I said many times that I pay everything that is required of me, just not a penny more.

The wealthiest in our society even have hordes of tax lawyers to pay the bare minimum. Why should I pay more than I have to?

When it comes to taxpayer programs I just get annoyed when people ONLY complain about those that benefit the poor and forget about the more expensive programs that only benefit the rich. Quantitive easing is only one such program and it costs $85 BILLION per Month (more than the annual SNAP budget).

If you're going to be a fiscal conservative-be one across the board-not just for the poor.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:50 AM

15,653 posts, read 10,425,074 times
Quote:
Good for them. I pay $0 in Federal Income Taxes during the course of the year, then try to exempt as much as possible from how much USA, Inc. says I owe during tax season. I also try to earn money in Cash whenever possible.

I would never want to give a penny more than I legally have to to this Federal Government (even though the Constitution says nothing about income taxes).
How is paying $0 in FED taxes paying your fair shair of federal taxpayer social programs? I submit your own words as proof you are not because you are cheating on your taxes by not declaring cash income. And seem to be proud, based on your above post, you have no skin in the game.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 12-12-2013 at 11:00 AM..

Old 12-12-2013, 10:51 AM

18,856 posts, read 8,512,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
The Rich Do Not Pay The Most Taxes, They Pay "ALL" The Taxes!
Of course they don't pay all the taxes, or even all the income taxes. I think what we are seeing here are accounting shenanigans.

For instance when a poor person or family takes a tax credit that doesn't necessarily come from taxes, today or tomorrow. It can come from new money creation. And as all debt is never paid off, some or all of that tax credit may never be covered by taxes, today or tomorrow.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:02 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,786,851 times
Quote:
But how am I not paying my fair share? I said many times that I pay everything that is required of me, just not a penny more.

The wealthiest in our society even have hordes of tax lawyers to pay the bare minimum. Why should I pay more than I have to?

When it comes to taxpayer programs I just get annoyed when people ONLY complain about those that benefit the poor and forget about the more expensive programs that only benefit the rich. Quantitive easing is only one such program and it costs $85 BILLION per Month (more than the annual SNAP budget).

If you're going to be a fiscal conservative-be one across the board-not just for the poor.
Who has been doing QE? That's the Obama administration, rather than working to fix the problem they would rather do QE and disguise the problem. The rich are obviously educated to what is going on and understand and positioned themselves to benefit.

The liberal mindset thinks they can force them into poverty, it's not going to happen. Maybe you should worry about what you have and learn how to do better than worry and be jealous of what others have. It's a case of cut off your nose to spite your face.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
How is paying $0 in FED taxes paying your fair shair of federal taxpayer social programs? I submit your own words as proof you are not because you are cheating on your taxes by not declaring cash income. And seem to be proud, based on your above post, you have no skin in the game.
I said I pay no Federal Income taxes during the course of the year. I'd rather keep more of my check and pay a big amount in April. You can claim whatever you want during the year. I keep it high so I pay my Fed taxes all at once instead of having them take it out little by little during the year then getting a refund.

In other words, I'd rather underestimate my tax share and pay at once than have The Feds overestimate my taxes and get a refund.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:07 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,775,469 times
top 40% is not the definition of rich...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies