Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:55 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,850,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
The black urban poor will never vote Republican. We have to face that reality. These are Rush’s low-information voters, who think about government for an hour every four years, if at all.
The majority of black people who vote are not urban poor people. Most urban poor black people do not vote. Don't know what "Rush" has to do with anything in regards to "low-information voters" but actually the a large percentage of Americans period, no matter their demographic do not vote unless there is a presidential election, and even during elections, a large amount of those of voting age, do not vote because they don't care about voting and don't think that it has any affect on them or their lot in life. This is true amongst white and black urban people and Hispanic and Asians and in between. The voter participation rate in our country has been hovering at the 50-60% mark for a long time during presidential elections.

FWIW though, black turnout has been on the rise since the 90s, even prior to Obama running. Also blacks are registering more and more black voters (my husband actually registers people to vote in my neighborhood). There is a big push in black neighborhoods and by colleges/universities (especially HBCUs here in Atlanta) to get black people who are not registered to vote, registered.

And FWIW, since this thread was about the republican party, I know for a fact that the democratic party, gives people rides to the polls on election day. When I was a young mom 11 years ago, I got a ride from the Democratic party to the polls. I didn't have a car and was registered in a neighborhood I had moved from but didn't have a way to get back to that neighborhood to vote. They gave me a ride to the pools in a 15 passenger van. Met a lot of nice people that day who I still know. This is another thing that the GOP can do, go out and register people and with their office, give free rides to the polls with rented vans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies