Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 02:30 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,265,362 times

Advertisements

Do they exist? I.E. Athiest, Agnostic, Buddhist, Hindu, Shinto, etc. followers in the Republican Party.

And if they do exist, do they have a chance to come up in the party to positions of elected office?

I know there are Christian, Mormon, and Jewish Republican elected officials, but it seems that's the extent of it.

At the federal level, D's have an atheist, Buddhists, Unitarian universalists, hindu, muslim practicers in their elected ranks.

I don't believe people when they say Republicans are racist. I do however think Republicans have a much more narrow view on religiosity. Is this a fair inference to make when viewing those in elected office from the respective parties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 02:32 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,115,651 times
Portrait and Demographics of United states Religious Affiliation -- Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

Old 11-17-2013, 02:38 PM

yes I've seen that, which is why I focused most of my post on 'elected officials'.

in a population of 300+ million, I do not doubt there are all sorts of faiths in all political parties....

elected official faiths tell a different story however.

I posted because while I have an easy time discerning congressmen, presidents, governors faiths...perhaps people can point out Republican state congressmen or other republican elected officials at the state level that are not Christian, Mormon, or jewish?

Old 11-17-2013, 02:48 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,961,536 times
As a person actively engaged with the Buddhist community here in Philadelphia, I can only report that nearly all Buddhists here are democrats. We have a much larger Buddhist community in this city than most places in the US because of the tens of thousands of Asian immigrants, but also because of American-born non-Asians who have embraced Buddhism ... there are dozens of Buddhist temples and meditation groups.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:50 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,961,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post

I posted because while I have an easy time discerning congressmen, presidents, governors faiths...perhaps people can point out Republican state congressmen or other republican elected officials at the state level that are not Christian, Mormon, or jewish?
There is only one Buddhist in the US Senate, the new Senator from Hawai'i ... but she is a democrat.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
As a person actively engaged with the Buddhist community here in Philadelphia, I can only report that nearly all Buddhists here are democrats. We have a much larger Buddhist community in this city than most places in the US because of the tens of thousands of Asian immigrants, but also because of American-born non-Asians who have embraced Buddhism ... there are dozens of Buddhist temples and meditation groups.
yeah the only Buddhists in congress are democrat.

Essentially for those non-Christian, jewish, or momon believers in the R party - if you ran for office, do you feel your faith would be an issue?

It seems on a congressional district basis atleast, it isn't the case for the D's.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:55 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,942,873 times
Yea there are a lot of athiest Republicans, a lot of greedy rich people dont have a religion. There are some with the other ones too, again greedy rich people where money triumphs over being treated like garbage.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Yea there are a lot of athiest Republicans, a lot of greedy rich people dont have a religion. There are some with the other ones too, again greedy rich people where money triumphs over being treated like garbage.
It'll be decades before an openly athiest republican wins a state or federal election

Old 11-17-2013, 07:59 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,008,186 times
Well, there are a few atheist Republicans and right-wingers at this blog, so they do exist. Ditto for right-wing Buddhists. Mark Sanford (of all people) is a Christian but has adopted a few Buddhist practices, and Republicans didn't think anything of it, so I think it's reasonable to assume that Republicans as a whole wouldn't have a problem with a Buddhist candidate. I'm sure some on the religious right would have a problem with a non-Christian, but even they appear to place much higher value on traditional and moral values more than a person's religion or sect, as evidenced by their support of Catholic and Mormon candidates.

Obviously until we see a non-Abrahamic Republican running for office* this analysis is speculative, but honestly I think the only religion Republicans have a hatred towards (to the point they would shun and avoid voting for an adherent) is Islam. There's also hatred towards atheists, though based on limited experience with commentators it appears that they would tolerate a socially conservative atheist.

*Since the vast majority of Americans who follow a non-Abrahamic religion are Democrats or Independents, you will see a lot more of them in the Democratic party than the Republican party, but much like black Republicans, I'm sure we will see one eventually, assuming the Republican party survives that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies