Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 11:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,791,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
If you read the links in the post I quoted, you would see that they didn't "wait until now."

I've no doubt that they have employed every loophole available to them over the years, including, as was noted, under-scheduling, firing people who worked long enough to be made permanent, etc.

My point was simply that they didn't have to join the bandwagon of employers who take advantage of the opportunity to take advantage.
But why be ethical when you don't have to.
They are only going by the law, one the Democrats put into force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 11:46 AM

25,867 posts, read 20,810,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Sleazy or not... these corporations are the ones who employee the largest part of our workforce. It's just like those who complain that corporations don't pay enough in taxes. They do... legally. They work within the legal framework of the tax laws. And this is just another example. They will do what they need to to financially survive. I had the bigger fear that they would start laying folks off right and left instead of just cutting hours. Does it make it right? No. But.. see how we fare when these "sleazy" corporations go out of business and the jobs go out the door. Which will be worse, having your hours cut, or losing your job completely?
They may survive, but they won't grow. Not if they continue to cut the legs out from under the people who would be their customer base.

Extremely short-sighted it is.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:50 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,163,745 times
Quote:
They may survive, but they won't grow. Not if they continue to cut the legs out from under the people who would be their customer base.

Extremely short-sighted it is.
Kind of like cutting the legs out of the already insured?

Old 11-06-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Kind of like cutting the legs out of the already insured?
It's ok when the government does it and tells you that you had a substandard policy because you didn't have maternity and pediatric coverage. That 50-64 year old woman really was lacking in coverage wasn't she.
Thankfully the government put everything right by booting her and now she can pay more for that coverage.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:53 AM

3,011 posts, read 3,570,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
By making less, the employees will be eligible for subsidies, it's DB's way of shifting HCI costs to the employee and tax payer. Was David's Bridal providing the 2500 employees HC Insurance prior to Oct 1? My guess would be no.
That's the most irrational logic I've heard. You actually want people to work less so they can take money from the government? Have you noticed that our nation is broke and you want to take away money earning opportunities in the private sector?

Old 11-06-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
That's the most irrational logic I've heard. You actually want people to work less so they can take money from the government? Have you noticed that our nation is broke and you want to take away money earning opportunities in the private sector?
See which way the country is headed with logic like that ?

Old 11-06-2013, 11:58 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,334,211 times
Quote:
If you read the links in the post I quoted, you would see that they didn't "wait until now.".
A Memo went out 2 days ago.. I'd say thats "now"...
Quote:
I've no doubt that they have employed every loophole available to them over the years, including, as was noted, under-scheduling, firing people who worked long enough to be made permanent, etc.
You having now "doubt", isnt the topic of the thread.
Quote:
If you read the links in the post I quoted, you would see that they didn't "wait until now.".
A Memo went out 2 days ago.. I'd say thats "now"...
Quote:
My point was simply that they didn't have to join the bandwagon of employers who take advantage of the opportunity to take advantage.
But why be ethical when you don't have to.
You actually have nothing to substantiate that claim. If you're going to pretend you know what you are talking about, please dont make crap up that you dont know is true, and then pretend others have to comply with your made up scenario.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:25 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,040,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Actually it shines the understanding. If they make less money then they qualify for "government help".
That poster must be a big government savior fan.

Woohooo! Us hardworking taxpayers get to continue to foot the bill!

Old 11-06-2013, 03:58 PM

14,490 posts, read 26,670,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Let's see. We haven't even seen this supposed e-mail so we don't know what it says.

In addition, we do know that even large (more than fifty employees) employers are not affected by the employer mandate until 2015.

In addition, we have seen other employers cut employee benefits and claiming that those changes were required by the Affordable Care Act (like the dropping of spousal coverage) when we know that those claims have been lies.

So in this context you really expect us to believe that this employer is somehow being forced to do this by President Obama?
Yes, and the food at Applebee's stinks, but its also Obamas fault they are losing money too according to the far right. lol.

Let the free market decide.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:02 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,579,594 times
Hopefully, they're all 2012 Obama voters working there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies