Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 03:27 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,762,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
In my opinion that's one only an insurance actuary could answer. I never saw the inside of a hospital until I was 43 or so. However in the next 10 years I would guess I wracked up at least $100,000 in hospital bills and my son did the same. Now I am on a winning streak so you really don't know.
eeeerch...HOLD the phone.

You've been on here lambasting Republicans left and right calling them old....yet you just revealed that you are almost the exact same age that you accuse all Republicans of being.

Omg, this place never ceases to entertain me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 03:29 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,975,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I just found out today that my payments will almost double, also.

Previously, I had the very cheapest health coverage my company offered. It is no longer available now.

So, instead of paying $883 per year for coverage (for myself only) I will be paying $1,572 per year.

HOWEVER, my previous insurance had a $5,000/year deductible. I rarely go to the doctor, and just had basically catastrophic coverage.

With the new insurance I have to get, my deductible is only $1,250. Big difference from $5,000. No way would I ever meet that $5k deductible in a year, but I might meet the $1,250 if I start going to the doc, like I SHOULD be doing.

So, overall, I have a much better deal, now.
Show me the math you did, that demonstrates it's a "better deal".

Old 10-16-2013, 03:32 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,589,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Which, honestly, is almost argument enough to rolling back the eligibility age for Medicare to 50 or so. Ultimately, we're going to wind up with single-payer, because it's unlikely that Obamacare was designed to do anything other than fail.

Young people don't think about health insurance, because the vast majority of them are healthy. I was incredibly healthy from 16-35 (and still am), and never went to the doctor. My oldest two kids are the same way.

At their age, I NEVER would have paid exorbitant rates for health insurance. Given the state of today's economy, I don't think we'll have a stampede of 27-35 year olds signing up for Obamacare.
Obamacare was always intended to be a Single-Payer System. The final solution will be medicare for everybody. He told his union buddies that it may take 10 to 15 years to get to a single-payer system. He couldn't do it German style and just impose a 15 % health tax on employees and employers, he wouldn't have survived the first term.
Now the beneficiaries will get used to the sugar and Single-Payer is here to stay for good.

I have to give President Obama credit, he will have a significant place in the history books. He will be the President who transformed America from a Constitutional Republic into a European-Style Social Democracy.
He will be right up there with Woodrow Wilson, FDR and LBJ.

Obamacare is going to be a milestone of American Social Enginnering just like the Federal Income Tax (Wilson), SSI (FDR) and Medicare (LBJ).

Last edited by itsjustmeagain; 10-16-2013 at 03:43 PM..

Old 10-16-2013, 03:40 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,223,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
During the last election, one of my friends temporarily blocked my news feed from her Facebook page because she didn't like what I had to say. She is a dyed-in-the-wool liberal, and my pointing out the lack of experience, character, and morals which Obama had shown during his first term offended her. Lo and behold, she called me up over the weekend and not only apologized for blocking me, but admitted that she was wrong in voting for him. Seems she got a letter from her insurance company which informed her that her rates were going up by 189% due to the ACA regulations. That isn't a typo, her rates are going to almost triple. I didn't laugh at her on the phone - in fact, I told her a couple of websites to shop for a new provider - but after we hung up I had a case of the giggles that lasted for well over 10 minutes.

Stories like this, from people who actually supported Obama and his "hope and change", make me feel like giggling again. Along with shouting "Told ya so!!!"
What kind of policies did these people have? Mine went up by $16 and the company is covering $8 of that.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
eeeerch...HOLD the phone.

You've been on here lambasting Republicans left and right calling them old....yet you just revealed that you are almost the exact same age that you accuse all Republicans of being.

Omg, this place never ceases to entertain me.
Same age, but never grew up.

Most of these people who scream about the personal defects of anyone who disagrees are projecting. He was calling everyone who was not in line with his politics old and on SS or VA medical, etc, etc.

Seriously, I doubt it was all that much "projecting" as the fact that most people never see beyond their nose. His world is all about being a dependent upon someone else's money, so, thus, his view of the universe is that everyone else is just like him.

It's a very small minded mentality, actually.

I had a good 10 post series with someone who insisted that there were only two options: Have insurance, or not pay your doctor bill. They simply could NOT imagine anyone actually paying a doctor bill out of pocket. I rejected that premise, explained why I rejected it, and yet they insisted that there ARE NO OTHER OPTIONS out there.

And, most of these people with the tiny minds and limited vision insist that us conservatives are the ignorant ones. I NEVER had so much enlightenment as when I had someone who was a conservative start arguing with me online ( before internet, anyone remember those services?) about the truth of this or that idea, and challenging me to explain, in a coherent manner. I could not. My opinions were based on my gut reaction to things, not considered and principled, carefully thought out and coherent ideas.

It took me a long time to stop rationalizing what I FELT like, and start realizing that I needed to THINK first, last, and in the middle, too. It did not hurt that about the same time I started my first business. I suddenly began to see how and where money went, and what the value of enterprise was, and why I had to be better to be 'competitive', not just force my wishes on people. And that I had to produce something worth being paid for, to be on a solid foundation.

My first venture failed spectacularly. And it took me 3 years to even dare dream of my own again. But I did, and this time I cashed out my entire retirement and every cent I had otherwise. I then spent several years working for not a red cent.

Life, it's big, it's complex but yet operates by clear rules. And the universe of ideas is much bigger than ANY liberal can even imagine.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:43 PM

11,146 posts, read 10,720,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
What kind of policies did these people have? Mine went up by $16 and the company is covering $8 of that.
I don't know about the author in the OP, but my friend had a catastrophic policy which didn't meet the ACA guidelines. She also falls in the 25-35 age range so is one of the core group who are going to be footing the bill for the subsidies.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:46 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,589,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep, and they didn't wait until after the election to implement on accident.

The young people that don't see the benefit of health insurance are going to be miffed.

Also, yeah...they will gradually increase the fines until it's essentially mandatory.
I would expect eventual payroll deductions too.
That's the final step from Obamacare to a Single-Payer System. Eventually fines will be gone and a Health Care Tax will be taken out of everybodys paycheck. That's how Germany does it. Only that if you make more than $60,000 per year in Germany, you can opt out of the Single-Payer System. They have the benefit of still having a private and free market for health insurance. But that is not going to exist in America. The goal of Obama's Single-Payer System is to destroy the private health insurance market, so that everybody has to go to the government for health insurance.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:48 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,223,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I don't know about the author in the OP, but my friend had a catastrophic policy which didn't meet the ACA guidelines. She also falls in the 25-35 age range so is one of the core group who are going to be footing the bill for the subsidies.
So her rates are going up, because she is actually getting a more comprehensive policy. Ok.
My coverage didn't change at all.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Why would it matter?

The financially sensible thing to do (most bang for your dollar) is to buy the least insurance necessary, to carry the most risk yourself, that you can.

Obamacare prevents that kind of sensible financial management and forces everyone into excessively buying services that few need.

So, some won't face price hikes... but the vast majority will, since people who buy thier OWN insurance rarely buy plans that include stuff they don't need or think they should be buying.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:53 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,656,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
And your well-woman checks will be covered 100% if you use an in-network doctor. If you just had a catastrophic policy before, I'm guessing it didn't cover that.
Yes, there seems to be many things that are covered 100% now that were not covered before!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies