Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2013, 11:47 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,448,078 times

Advertisements

Oh well they've been voting for Dem presidential candidates for years in Michigan, so I guess Michigan residents approve.
146,000 Michiganders — at least — face loss of cheap policies under new health care reform rules | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Quote:
At least 146,000 Michiganders — and possibly thousands more — with health coverage purchased directly from insurers now are learning their polices will end Dec. 31 because they don’t meet the minimum requirements of the federal health care act.

Under the law, each policy must cover essential benefits in 10 categories. Instead of beefing up these policies, insurers are opting to drop them, advising consumers to consider other policies that are now available either from the insurers directly or though the Michigan Health Insurance Marketplace, also known as the state exchange.

The policies that are ending were often less expensive on the individual market because they provided limited benefits and were sold to healthier consumers.

And that was fine with consumers such as Josh Mulder.

Mulder had landed a plan several years ago that cost his Wixom family offour just $291 a month. That policy will end Dec. 31, according to a letter from his insurer.

The policy didn’t cover things such as maternity care or prescription drugs, but, Mulder said, his family is generally healthy and he was willing to take the risk.

“I had a great rate,” he said.

Rates that meet the required b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 11:54 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,955,999 times
anybody that has/had an 480 dollars a month premuim did not have great healthcare coverage...maybe a low premium, but no way great HC coverage.

I would love to see what these 80 dollar HC plans actually covered.

The problem with these sham plans, is after your insurer dropped you, one had to go on the government plan.

Im tired of picking up the ticket for those that dont want to cover or want sham insurance that covers nothing...

Old 10-13-2013, 12:03 PM

38,065 posts, read 22,226,100 times
That one family said they were happy with their policy that cost $291 a month, now that we have 0bamaCare, they are forced to pay over $750 a month.

"We're from the government, and we are here to help. You'll do as we say, even if we have to hold a gun to your head to do it."

0bama! 0bama! 0bama!

Old 10-13-2013, 12:14 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,448,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
anybody that has/had an 480 dollars a month premuim did not have great healthcare coverage...maybe a low premium, but no way great HC coverage.

The problem with these sham plans, is after your insurer dropped you, one had to go on the government plan.

Im tired of picking up the ticket for those that dont want to cover or want sham insurance that covers nothing...
I think the family in the pic is smart enough to run their own cost/benefit analysis they don't need you or Obama to do it for them.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,781,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post

Show us where you did pick up the ticket for any of these people.

Why shoudn't my insurance be cheaper than someone who wants to run to the doctor for every little sniffle?

We should be able to opt out of birth control coverage, maternity care coverage, wellness visits and all routine kinds of coverage.

We should be able to pick a plan that suits our lifestyle. People with kids might want insurance that would cover emergency room visits, all need cancer coverage.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:04 PM

22,675 posts, read 24,657,321 times
Not very hard to understand why the rates are going up......more and more mandates will lead to higher and higher premiums.

Gee, I guess if it was required for my car insurance policy to cover oil changes and tire rotation.....it would cost a LOT more than a plain-Jane policy.

And these initial Osamacare rates.....haha, those are the "cheap" teaser rates.......you just wait!!!

Old 10-13-2013, 05:08 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,241,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Not very hard to understand why the rates are going up......more and more mandates will lead to higher and higher premiums.

Gee, I guess if it was required for my car insurance policy to cover oil changes and tire rotation.....it would cost a LOT more than a plain-Jane policy.

And these initial Osamacare rates.....haha, those are the "cheap" teaser rates.......you just wait!!!
Osamacare?

Old 10-13-2013, 05:21 PM

3,699 posts, read 5,011,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post

There are already state requirments about the type and coverage of auto insurance for good reason. It does no good to society if you are paying a low rate for insurance that does not cover the likely amount of damage that your car could do to something hence my state requires coverage of $20,000 per one person for injury or death. $40,000 for more than one person and $15,000 for property damage.

For health insurance high deductiables mean high risk. You need to have enough cash on hand to cover everything if your health problem doesn't amount to the deductable and not covering some things like check ups are likely to drive cost even higher inthe end( The cancerous skin mole that could have been easily removed is now advanced and requires more treatment.).

Hence the govermnet lowering the deductiable even if the cost goes up.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:13 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,348,583 times
The cheap catastrophe plans that covered basically nothing are gone, yes. Good riddance to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies