Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 04:42 PM

624 posts, read 939,580 times

Advertisements

I am new here and find this place exciting, interesting, and also puzzling. If you would indulge me on the latter:

For those of you/us who already have opinions on many subjects coming in, has anything you've read here ever changed you mind about anything? Has another poster ever told you that you genuinely changed theirs? Have you seen someone post to anyone else that they changed their mind because of something someone said? If the answer to any/all if these is "no", do you think it's because of the tone of many of the comments, even if they might contain some good information?

If you never do change your mind here and if you can't change anyone else's what is the purpose of your coming back again and again, and continuing to contribute? Just wanting to see what others think? Giving high fives to like-minded people? Venting on people with opposite views to your own? Just like to stir the public pot? Other?

I love this place, even though it can tick me off sometimes, because it really is the mythical "national conversation" that media figures and politicians always talk about us needing to have. On the other hand...I hate this place, even though it gives me hope sometimes, because apparently the "national conversation" is often just people snarking at and talking over each other with no empathy or desire for finding common ground.

Do what thoughts do you have on these debates, here and your reasons for being part/party to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 05:10 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,543,882 times
I would say that once in a while my thinking is shifted, but never fully changed. People post links that are either opinion or agenda based facts and stats that can be manipulated or simply lied about (see the federal government). And sometimes stats may be unarguable but improperly applied...

Old 10-01-2013, 05:49 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Yes. I have changed my mind since coming here but only a few specific posters are able to accomplish that. I truly trust their judgment. Others just get me thinking.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:54 AM

624 posts, read 939,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Yes. I have changed my mind since coming here but only a few specific posters are able to accomplish that. I truly trust their judgment. Others just get me thinking.
Just out of curiosity, who are they? Won't blame you for keeping it to yourself. It's just hard to sort out who is who as a newbie, with such a glut of opinions. I'm not looking for people to change my views or to follow blindly, but it would be interesting to know who you think is credible. I've read good posts from opposing viewpoints, but some of those same people have said some outlandish things, too.

There are smart people here from all stripes. Very interesting to be here.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:19 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,075 times
For the most part, NO, nothing that I have read here has really changed my core beliefs. If anything, it has just reinforced to me how polarized our society has/is become/becoming. I have gleaned a few tidbits of information on certain non-political, non hot topic items that I have checked out with other sources. But I do not come in here nearly as much as I once did. Now it is just occasionally and when I do post, I post and leave it for what it is. I don't go back and get into a p*****g contest with another poster(s) because for one, this forum, like other online ventures, is just a cyber pseudo-world, nothing more. Another thing I don't do is look at the history of a poster's posts. Too many people take this place too seriously. It is nothing more than occasional bored entertainment for me.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:03 PM

993 posts, read 1,560,866 times
Not exactly.

I have very flexible or ambivalent beliefs on most subjects, so it's easy to get me to see other sides that I may not have originally considered.

If the subject is the rare topic about which I have a firm, solid stance already, then my mind isn't changed by the posters whose beliefs oppose mine.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:54 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Yup. There have been several times I've changed my mind after reading posts here.
And there have been many more posts I agreed with, even when my views are much different from the original poster's.

It didn't take me long as a newbie to distinguish between those who are here just to pick a fight and those who honestly and intelligently present their opinions and leave them for others to discuss. Since there are a lot of people who are active here, and many more who only read, such things are to be expected.

Not all the forum topics are decisive, either. I've found lots of folks shy away from the topics that generate the most disputes, and there's a ton of interesting stuff and good information here.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:25 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
yes there have been times i have changed my mind about things, and i have also learned a lot as well. at the same time i hope i have changed a few minds, and taught people something. boards like these should be about give and take teaching and learning, and not partisan politics that gets down and dirty with name calling and other insults. people dont learn that way, and they dont teach that way either.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:29 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithytoves View Post
I am new here and find this place exciting, interesting, and also puzzling. If you would indulge me on the latter:

For those of you/us who already have opinions on many subjects coming in, has anything you've read here ever changed you mind about anything? Has another poster ever told you that you genuinely changed theirs? Have you seen someone post to anyone else that they changed their mind because of something someone said? If the answer to any/all if these is "no", do you think it's because of the tone of many of the comments, even if they might contain some good information?

If you never do change your mind here and if you can't change anyone else's what is the purpose of your coming back again and again, and continuing to contribute? Just wanting to see what others think? Giving high fives to like-minded people? Venting on people with opposite views to your own? Just like to stir the public pot? Other?

I love this place, even though it can tick me off sometimes, because it really is the mythical "national conversation" that media figures and politicians always talk about us needing to have. On the other hand...I hate this place, even though it gives me hope sometimes, because apparently the "national conversation" is often just people snarking at and talking over each other with no empathy or desire for finding common ground.

Do what thoughts do you have on these debates, here and your reasons for being part/party to them?
Yes, because of posts made on this forum, I have changed my mind on two issues. It's not to say it was just the words of the posters in question, it was after I read something here, and then searched out more information on my own. The majority of the time, however, all I read is a bunch of the same tired talking points that some members get from their favorite website and then regurgitate it here as if they cleverly came up with it. The talking points are never clever, and are old and tired by the time they show up here.

My reason for being part of them is a) in some cases, with SOME posters, I do learn a few things, rarely, but I do and b) when surrounded by idiots, or, worse, people who don't even care about politics or things going on in the world, it's nice to be around like minded people...if even only to know I'm not the only one who thinks the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:57 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithytoves View Post

Yes. Seeing the liberals here with their unending lies and demonization caused me to become right wing. At one time I was actually happy that Obama got elected. At one time I thought Obamacare was a good idea.

Discussions about welfare caused me to research the subject. Nothing that was said here formed my opinions about welfare, but what was said here did cause me to look into the subject and through looking into it I changed my opinions about it.

And also, debates on this forum caused me to look seriously at the constitution. I hadn't ever read any of the Federalist Papers before joining this forum and knew nothing about James Madison. I have now read up on it extensively and am glad I did. I have a much greater understanding of how the constitution is supposed to work than I ever had before.
Quote:
Venting on people is why I keep coming back. I like throwing leftist rhetoric back in their faces.
Quote:
That's the way politics has been going since the progressives took over the Democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies