Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 08:24 PM

57,331 posts, read 26,245,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Why do you think people aren't opening up grocery stores?

Safeway's quarterly profit margin was just .10%.
Safeway Profit Margin Quarterly (SWY)

Kroger's profit margin was 1.4%
Kroger Profit Margin Quarterly (KR)

Supervalue was 1.65%.
SUPERVALU Profit Margin Quarterly (SVU)

If we expand to superstores that sell more than just groceries we find a similar trend.

Walmart was 3.45%
Wal-Mart Stores Profit Margin Quarterly (WMT)

Target was 3.57%.
Target Profit Margin Quarterly (TGT)

I have Safeway as 1.4%, that is still low by any standard.

SWY Key Statistics | Safeway Inc. Common Stock Stock - Yahoo! Finance

McDonalds 19.85%

MCD Key Statistics | McDonald's Corporation Common S Stock - Yahoo! Finance

I don't know the specifics of the particular company in the interview but McDonalds has a pretty solid profit margin. If Safeway went into business with a model of 1% I don't see how they survive.

The original contention that increasing minimum wages would bankrupt these companies needs more explanation, particularly those that are around 10%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 08:37 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I have Safeway as 1.4%, that is still low by any standard.

SWY Key Statistics | Safeway Inc. Common Stock Stock - Yahoo! Finance

McDonalds 19.85%

MCD Key Statistics | McDonald's Corporation Common S Stock - Yahoo! Finance

I don't know the specifics of the particular company in the interview but McDonalds has a pretty solid profit margin. If Safeway went into business with a model of 1% I don't see how they survive.

The original contention that increasing minimum wages would bankrupt these companies needs more explanation, particularly those that are around 10%
I'm not sure anyone actually said that companies will go bankrupt. There is no study that supports that view and the few that could go bankrupt would just ship the jobs overseas or switch to a new industry. Some companies will cut hours, some will layoff people, some positions will be eliminated, some will automate, some will increase workloads, some will require more experience and education, but companies won't willingly go bankrupt it's far, far easier to fire half the people and ask people to do more work.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:43 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
A dollar represents the value of your work and the minimum wage only sets the standard for what the least valuable work is. Here's some simple math:

McD's employee makes $7 per hour and pays $7 for McD's meal
McD's employee makes $70 per hour and pays $70 for McD's meal
McD's employee makes $7,000,000 per hour and pays $7,000,000 for McD's meal

Any argument it doesn't have any inflationary costs is BS. What they don't take into account is when you raise the rate for $7 an hour employees to $10, your employee that is making $10 per hour is now making minimum and rightfully is going to want $13 since they are more skilled. The $13 per hour worker now wants $16....

You will never increase the amount you make by simply increasing the amount of dollars, you need to increase the vlaue of your work.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:46 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,903,245 times
Quote:
Show me an example of a grocery store large or small that can survive on a 2% profit margin. Why would you even think of going into business for a 2% profit margin unless you have a low regard for money.
I don't think you understand how business works. A profit is still a profit.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
A dollar represents the value of your work and the minimum wage only sets the standard for what the least valuable work is. Here's some simple math:

McD's employee makes $7 per hour and pays $7 for McD's meal
McD's employee makes $70 per hour and pays $70 for McD's meal
McD's employee makes $7,000,000 per hour and pays $7,000,000 for McD's meal

Any argument it doesn't have any inflationary costs is BS. What they don't take into account is when you raise the rate for $7 an hour employees to $10, your employee that is making $10 per hour is now making minimum and rightfully is going to want $13 since they are more skilled. The $13 per hour worker now wants $16....

You will never increase the amount you make by simply increasing the amount of dollars, you need to increase the vlaue of your work.
I get your point, but McD's is a bad example to use. They have the same profit margin as pharmaceutical companies. McD's could raise wages 30-50% without raising prices. I think people should boycott that place.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:02 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,969,227 times
McDonalds is one of the companies that has laid off American citizen workers and demanded Congress pass immigration reform so they could bring in cheaper labor, which would put a stop to the talk about higher wages. I would really be interested to see what Warren says about that. She would have a lot of support from members of both parties if she supported the American worker.

Companies lay off thousands, then demand immigration reform for new labor | WashingtonExaminer.com

Old 09-30-2013, 10:01 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,974,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I don't think you understand how business works. A profit is still a profit.
No, YOU DO NOT.

A 2% profit margin... Never repays the investment to start a business.

If you think anyone will start a business to get a 2% profit margin, you're insane.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:03 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,467,143 times
Quote:
Show me an example of a grocery store large or small that can survive on a 2% profit margin. Why would you even think of going into business for a 2% profit margin unless you have a low regard for money.
How about I show you a dozen examples?

Industry Browser - Services - Grocery Stores Industry - Company List

Old 09-30-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
No, YOU DO NOT.

If you think anyone will start a business to get a 2% profit margin, you're insane.
I guess you have never heard of a grocery store .

Old 09-30-2013, 10:09 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,644,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
No, YOU DO NOT.

yep

What i don't get is why people cant see that most fast food places people buy them as a franchise. They work there tail off and are not rich buy any means . I know a hand full of people that own a franchise and they have told me they end up working long hours and have a hard time making ends meet as it is. Also when they hire people they can not afford to pay people $15 an hour they will go out of business or let the workers go .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies