Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 12:35 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,238,124 times

Advertisements

Which has more drawbacks to it? I haven't seen any comparisons.

Either choice seems to increase the price of labor on the employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 12:42 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,857,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Which has more drawbacks to it? I haven't seen any comparisons.

Either choice seems to increase the price of labor on the employer.
raising the minimum wage is good for the economy. It gives the working and lower class more purchasing power. The extra wages they earn are spent and go back into the economy. This then increases the demand for goods and services which is good for business owners.

To compensate for a rise in minimum wage business's may increase prices. But when people have higher wages those price increases have no affect on consumer spending.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:50 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,033,934 times
Good for the economy? It forces more folks out of work because employers will get rid of folks. Are you that far lost? Oh yeah just raise prices and make it even harder for the foks who just lost their jobs due to the min wage increase to suffer more. LOL

Hint...........if your working a min wage job and your not a high school kid or doing a part time gig then you are a fool.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Good for the economy? It forces more folks out of work because employers will get rid of folks. Are you that far lost? Oh yeah just raise prices and make it even harder for the foks who just lost their jobs due to the min wage increase to suffer more. LOL

Hint...........if your working a min wage job and your not a high school kid or doing a part time gig then you are a fool.
On the flipside, forcing health care benefits affects many more people, not just people at the bottom.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:04 AM

This whole thing has nothing to do with healthcare. Do you really think the government gives one sheet about your health? Hell no. They want you, me, us all into a national database and from there will get a DNA database from our blood..........on and on it will go. People are too gdam nonchalant and lost to even realize what is going on. Oh hey it sounds great........if you don't have healthcare. Hint...........we all do. The gdam illegals have figured out how to get to a doctor. LOL. The entire thing is a joke. Why do think they are ALL into it other than the "anarchists" as the folks who are against it were called? Words to sway the gullible is all it is. You think you or anybody elses healthcare will get better or cheaper with this mess coming down? If you do you are lost. Thing is the government doesn't care. They want our info and that is it...........all of it too. Your height, weight, address, blood type, nut size, breast size, foot size..........you name it they will get it and there is nothing you can do when it all goes down. Folks who are laughing about it now will be saying in a few year what the hell did we let em do.........then of course blame it on Bush and the republicans and move on to your eyes to get your retina scans on a database.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:

you don't understand how macro-economics works.

employers don't "get rid of folks" because the min wage rises or stays the same. Employees hire and fire workers based on aggregate demand. If a company makes widgets and the state raised minimum wage by 50 cents, is that company going to start laying off workers? NO. That company still has to meet demand.

A rise in min wage puts more money into the lower and working class (when min wage rises, other wages rise too) and they spend more. That spending increases demand for goods and services.

This is just basic economics which you have just failed miserably at.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:21 AM

You are lost. You can spew your "aggregate demand" nonsense all you want. Maybe that is what they taught you in school. If I have ten employees making ten bucks an hour and the min wage is increased to fifteen what will I do? Well take a friggen guess. Eat it? No I'm not an evil corporation here bub. My Lord you folks are so far lost there is no return. How do you get this far gone in the world of reality? It is quite amazing.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post

employers don't "get rid of folks" because the min wage rises or stays the same. Employees hire and fire workers based on aggregate demand. If a company makes widgets and the state raised minimum wage by 50 cents, is that company going to start laying off workers? NO. That company still has to meet demand.

A rise in min wage puts more money into the lower and working class (when min wage rises, other wages rise too) and they spend more. That spending increases demand for goods and services.

If you increase the price of labor until it's cheaper to automate or outsource, those jobs are gone, and you have more people out of work. Then what?

Old 09-27-2013, 01:26 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,448,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post

Could you explain more in the perspective of the business? I've always felt the US is sort of stuck on the ropes in regards to raising the minimum wage. If it were indeed possible, I would rather the US find ways to bring down the cost of living and keep minimum wage at the same rate.

In my opinion I believe that business owners only take a small account of minimum wage, that's not a huge concern to them but oppressive regulations are. If the US could find a way to balance the regulation out therefore companies and small businesses could lower the amount of cost imposed upon them (which in essence is passed to the consumer), then I'd be completely on the same boat with you in regards to raising wages.

Personally if I owned a business I would probably automate as much as possible for damage control on regulations while also keeping the cost down for my consumers.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:31 AM

Quote:
You are lost. You can spew your "aggregate demand" nonsense all you want. Maybe that is what they taught you in school. If I have ten employees making ten bucks an hour and the min wage is increased to fifteen what will I do? Well take a friggen guess. Eat it? No I'm not an evil corporation here bub. My Lord you folks are so far lost there is no return. How do you get this far gone in the world of reality? It is quite amazing.
you're not really interested in learning something or debating the issue. I didn't spew anything. I'm simply stating something that the majority of economists agree with. That more money in the hands of the lower and working class is good for the economy.

You can't raise the minimum wage by $5. That's not what I said. I'm talking about tying the rise of minimum wage to inflation. Raising it by $5 would have negative consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies