Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 09:52 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The government pays X dollars per child's education, which difference does it make where those dollars are spent for that education?
The government pays with tax payers money, and I as a tax payer don't want my money going to private businesses

It's bad enough that 2 trillion went to banks, now you want to give the rest to private schools.

Nobody is entitled to private education.

You nanny staters crack me up. You whine about big gubiment, yet you want them to pay for your private education
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 09:54 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Is this a serious question? How about because they are designed to destroy the public school system?

The point is not to let some parents choose an alternative, it is to provide high quality schools for the entire community.
Their are over 55 million kids in public school, isn't their enough to go around or does the government have to have a monopoly on education?

If public schools worked their would not be a demand for vouchers. Fix public schools and vouchers are not needed, btw our school issues have nothing to do with funding.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:55 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,461,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
As long as the private schools are required to meet or exceed public school education requirements there isn't really a problem but there is a problem when they want to use public funds to subsidize falsehoods especially religious falsehoods like claiming the Earth is only 6000 years old, if they are anti-science and exclude modern biology (like evolution), or if they engage in religious indoctrination. If they don't fill the same standards line for line for each subject then no public money should ever be given to them.
Sure it should. We use public money to fund indoctrination in liberal values and people are fine with that. It isn't indoctrination that bothers people, it's indoctrination in things they disagree with. Liberals somehow claim that despite teachers being 80% registered Democrats, there's no liberal bias in schools.

It's perfectly okay with them that teachers' unions are one of the nation's main donors to Democrat campaigns.

But I got my dose of it in school. I learned how the noble Indians just wanted to be one with nature and the evil white people came over from Europe and invaded them, for example. The interminable warfare between tribes, the kidnappings and theft in regular raids, the ritual torture of prisoners that the Indians engaged in? Not a word. All evil was the fault of whites.
Quote:
I sure don't want my tax dollars going to subsidize someone else's religious delusions.
And I don't want my tax dollars going to subsidize someone else's political delusions either. But I'm forced to do it anyway.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:55 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Their are over 55 million kids in public school, isn't their enough to go around or does the government have to have a monopoly on education?

If public schools worked their would not be a demand for vouchers. Fix public schools and vouchers are not needed, btw our school issues have nothing to do with funding.
Me and all my brothers went to private schools, no vouchers were needed, but then again we didn't expect big gubiment to give us everything.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
The government pays with tax payers money, and I as a tax payer don't want my money going to private businesses

It's bad enough that 2 trillion went to banks, now you want to give the rest to private schools.

You nanny staters crack me up. You whine about big gubiment, yet you want them to pay for your private education
Again, the same money is spent per student with a voucher or in public school, what is the problem?
Do you not like it because it shrinks the size of government? Because it reduces the power of the teachers union and thus democrats? Why would you rather a child receive a substance education in a public school instead of with a voucher in a private/charter school?

Old 09-27-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Me and all my brothers went to private schools, no vouchers were needed, but then again we didn't expect big gubiment to give us everything.
Again, the same amount of money is spent for the education, it is just spent at a different place, why is this so hard to grasp?

Old 09-27-2013, 10:06 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,227 times
Quote:
You want a private education, pay for it.

I've sent my daughter to private school, didn't rely on big gubiment to pay for it.

My parents sent me to private school, no government hand outs there

Where is it written in the constitution that you are guaranteed private education???
where is it written in the constitution that we have to sent kids and throw money into a failed education system...

Old 09-27-2013, 10:06 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,438,886 times
Quote:

The thing about it is they are already paying for public education and it cost sometime the same if not less to send a child to private school as opposed public school, at least for the government. With private schools comes the demand for more construction since most areas won't have the capacity for the kids that would go to private school, and on top of that public school would still be run and not every kid who applies for a voucher nor for the private school will be accepted.

Essentially the government already has helped pay for my private education during these past few two years while I was in college, does that count?

Quote:
I attended private school as well while living in Baltimore while also attending public school there as well and while I can say the private school I attended wasn't anywhere near the best, it was far more superior to the public schools of Baltimore. And yes, I did attend a religious private school but we rarely did anything involving a religion, it was merely connected to the church but if you were a member of the church your tuition was reduced by a few thousand.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:13 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
where is it written in the constitution that we have to sent kids and throw money into a failed education system...
It is usually codified in the state constitution. For example, here is Nevada's constitution.

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/const/nvconst.html#Art11

Old 09-27-2013, 10:14 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,796,460 times
The fallacy of course is that charter schools or vouchers lead to better education for the students that are not succeeding.

Unfortunately that in general is not true. What does happen is you develop schools that have student bodies which are most white and middle class upward. You do that by the simple stratagem of the schools location. Sure three black kids will make it there as well...as they had parents willing to figure how to beat the system...but the other 97 kids will be from the local suburb. We had a local charter locating its second school. Where was that? Right on the border between the two best elementary schools in the NW quadrant of the city. How is that for a way to attract the poor students.

The whole charter thing so far has been a fiasco. Do they do any good? Nobody knows. The grand experiment in Milwaukee could likely have given us a good idea...but nobody kept score. Ten years in it is virtually impossible to tell if they educate better or worse with some evidence toward worse.

Vouchers have unending problems. Do you simply trust the receiving schools? Or do you set standards and enforce them? Who sets the curriculum? Do they have to test their students?

I suspect the biggest good for vouchers comes to the parents of children already in private school. They immediately line up to cut their $10,000 tuition in half.

There might be some good in this stuff. But it needs to be approached carefully. Vouchers, substantial ones, to kids in bad schools whose parents are within 2X the local poverty level. Then monitior it closely for five years and see how those kids do against the cohorts that remain.

Same with charters...reasonably well thought out programs to target the bottom and monitor how it works closely. And if it works move it up to a broader and broader base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies