Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 07:39 PM

32,278 posts, read 15,230,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
No it would allow those parents in your community to pick what school they want their kids to go to. If your schools are doing such a great job like you claim then nobody would change right? Why not give folks the option though? I know it's against all liberal logic letting folks have a choice. Your just used to the old do what your told and eat it.
And are the parents going to be responsible for transporting their child. That is one of the problems because they expect the schools to do it. But the schools don't have the money to pick up 1 child in a neighbor and take them to a school outside of their district. But hey if parents can get them there then I'm all for it. But parents don't want to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 07:41 PM

26,712 posts, read 15,265,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Because many, if not most, private schools are religious, and government has no business subsidizing establishments of religion.
So you are opposed to welfare recipients using their money to buy a bible, religious material, tithe, etc...???

Old 09-27-2013, 07:48 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,298,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
That is rich coming from a liberal.
Oh please, you are only calling me a liberal because I don't agree with you. I am independent.

Quote:
I'm sure you'll have to same standards for what people can spend their welfare checks on.
Are you talking about SNAP?

Eligible Food Items

Quote:
So it is ok for a women to use tax dollars to abort her baby but not teach them creationism?
It is illegal to use federal funds to pay for abortions. Any parent can teach their kid that humans and dinosaurs coexisted and they can even send their kid to a school that teaches the same, but to publicly fund such teachings is doing a disservice to the kid and science is pretty important.

Hyde Amendment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-27-2013, 07:49 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,860,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
And are the parents going to be responsible for transporting their child. That is one of the problems because they expect the schools to do it. But the schools don't have the money to pick up 1 child in a neighbor and take them to a school outside of their district. But hey if parents can get them there then I'm all for it. But parents don't want to do that.
Voucher are used to go to private/charter schools, not public schools outside of the district.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:51 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,298,232 times
Quote:
Voucher are used to go to private/charter schools, not public schools outside of the district.
Charter schools, at least near me, are public and admission is based on merit.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:52 PM

63,917 posts, read 46,933,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Most private industries are better than government, but that doesn't mean you are entitled to it courtesy of the government teet

I'd rather ride in a hummer limo than than greyhound, but I don't expect gubiment to hook me up

u want a private elite school, pay for it, I did as my parents did. no government handout
Are they really?

Old 09-27-2013, 07:54 PM

32,278 posts, read 15,230,483 times
Quote:
Yes, I know that. I was asking how these kids would get their since public schools buses transport kids to their schools in their district. And you would be able to use a voucher to go to school in another district. So how are they kids going to get there?

Old 09-27-2013, 07:58 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,934,108 times
As long as the private schools are required to meet or exceed public school education requirements there isn't really a problem but there is a problem when they want to use public funds to subsidize falsehoods especially religious falsehoods like claiming the Earth is only 6000 years old, if they are anti-science and exclude modern biology (like evolution), or if they engage in religious indoctrination. If they don't fill the same standards line for line for each subject then no public money should ever be given to them.

I sure don't want my tax dollars going to subsidize someone else's religious delusions.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:01 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,860,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Yes, I know that. I was asking how these kids would get their since public schools buses transport kids to their schools in their district. And you would be able to use a voucher to go to school in another district. So how are they kids going to get there?
It is up to parents to find a way to get their kids to school.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:03 PM

3,827 posts, read 5,396,154 times
School vouchers aren't a bad thing; they are a good thing.

We have a pack of dinosaurs, called 'teacher's unions', that want the educational system to continue to fail. That's why they are against vouchers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies