Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 08:57 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,740,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Yeah, sure. You don't have a daughter about to leave for study abroad. I like to think that Australia is not on any terror group's radar, but that's what the parents of everyone killed abroad ever said, too.

Well good luck to her and we all hope she will be safe. She will have a great time I am sure.

I wish I studied abroad when I was in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 09:02 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,884,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
La Tour Eiffel évacuée après une alerte à la bombe

I know most here can't read French, but according to this article the tower was reopened to the public at 4:30pm local time (7 hours ahead of us here in the Central time zone) after a police search.
Good to hear.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:03 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,270,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Well good luck to her and we all hope she will be safe. She will have a great time I am sure.

I wish I studied abroad when I was in school.
Thank you.

I did study abroad, and it was the best thing I ever did. Unfortunately, my experience also influences my fears ... I was in London for weekly IRS bombings, and for Palestinian attacks on El Al flight crews and the murder of Lord Mountbatten. I watched Iranian riots against the Shah at the embassy from a safe distance, and watched special forces on TV attack the same embassy later that year to free hostages.

None of those things impacted me personally, but it does make you think. When I think about the plane full of students coming home from study abroad that was blown up over Scotland ... well, I should probably stop now.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,606,338 times
Quote:
I hope that's all it is. But if not ... you know the cons here will blame Obama for not doing something to prevent it. Even after all those pages of mouth-frothing we had over him being "weak" and "covering up scandals" by issuing those terror alerts.

Honestly.

I was never a fan of Bush's continual feeding into the fear, practically every day, but I really do believe we know something right now. And it scares the crap out of me.
How the hell did you just connect what is happening in Paris with Obama/Bush ?

Old 08-09-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Along with the recent events with the embassies closing it is probably right to be safe rather than sorry.

But how many times can authorities cry wolf?
As many as they need to because the terrorists have us on the run.
The terrorists blow up stuff. They are not an army you can see marching towards us.
Can't ignore the threat because it may prove to be true.
Can't do anything to prevent it because they don't wage war using the rules of engagement.

Military men are helpless when it comes to terrorism because anything goes with them and their intent is to cause fear, not win any battles.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How the hell did you just connect what is happening in Paris with Obama/Bush ?
It's easy. I've spent the week reading post after post about how there's nothing going on, nothing to see, Obama is making stuff up, he's so weak and stupid for issuing these alerts.

Now this. Nothing to see here? Right.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ies-close.html

Old 08-09-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Yeah, sure. You don't have a daughter about to leave for study abroad. I like to think that Australia is not on any terror group's radar, but that's what the parents of everyone killed abroad ever said, too.

This is what the world is turning into. Like it or not it is slowly becoming a way of life.
What was once contained in ME countries is now spreading. The religious wars in the ME countries with them blowing themselves up has gone global.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
It's easy. I've spent the week reading post after post about how there's nothing going on, nothing to see, Obama is making stuff up, he's so weak and stupid for issuing these alerts.

Now this. Nothing to see here? Right.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ies-close.html
Well you did drag Obama/Bush into this.

Terrorists don't care about Obama/Bush and who to blame.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well you did drag Obama/Bush into this.

Terrorists don't care about Obama/Bush and who to blame.
Yes, I did. Thought I explained why. I just think it's ironic after 30 pages of "Obama is making this up" to have this pop up now, and I was anticipating the same posters coming up with some reason why Obama didn't do enough to prevent an attack.

That's how it goes here, sadly.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Yes, I did. Thought I explained why. I just think it's ironic after 30 pages of "Obama is making this up" to have this pop up now, and I was anticipating the same posters coming up with some reason why Obama didn't do enough to prevent an attack.

That's how it goes here, sadly.
Well none did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies