Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 08:39 AM

12,988 posts, read 13,781,931 times

Advertisements

Before his re-election I thought if the DOW got close to 14,000 he would be re-elected, and I think if unemployment gets close to 5% we'll have another Democrat in the White house. The GOP actually gains if unemployment stays some what higher. Business likes to have an army of unemployed people keeping wages down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 08:52 AM

599 posts, read 662,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
The first problem is that redistricting after the disastrous 2010 election has just about sealed the House for the GOP. (I don't see that changing until at least 2022 when the next redistricting occurs.) Then you've got Democratic Senators in red states who act like DINOs just to save their own hides. Finally, voters are less disciplined in off-year elections when there isn't something to vote against. This happened in 1994, 2006 and 2010.

No doubt that some idiot gooper will shoot off his mouth again, mutter something about rape and god, and blow a golden opportunity. That's Republican tradition during the last couple cycles. But it won't change the power balance in Washington.

but, how long can the GOP rely on the reduced turnout of off year elections and resentment over the South losing the Civil War?

they must modernize, which will make it easier for everyone. this is one reason that I'm a near fan of Chris Christie and other northeast Republicans who are the only near moderate voices in that party...

Old 08-07-2013, 08:58 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,626,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
I don't vote, but I can tell you a republican potus won't ever be elected again until the party changes their stance on social issues. Every day a few more boomers kick off, while a few more youngsters become legal voters.

prepare to be dissapointed again LOL/thread
Young people come out in droves to vote based on their stance on single social issues like gay marriage or abortion, meanwhile we're wallowing in high unemployment, a recession with no end in sight, resurgence of terrorism and out of control debt. But who cares that our financial foundation is crumbling when there are places gay people can't get married yet? Even if a Republican takes a neutral stance on a social issue, they're still going to be presented as a bigot compared to someone who goes "all in" supporting a Liberal cause.

When we let our elections be dictated by emotion rather than logic, we're screwed. A growing youth vote who wear their vote like a fashion statement ("look how progressive [i.e. better than you] I am") are choosing our leaders based on who is presented as the 'cool, modern' choice.

The classic GOP is dead. There's simply no way to convince people who are so horribly jaded against Republicans to start voting for who is usually portrayed as 'the bad guy.' Until the social conservatives fade away within the GOP, they will never reclaim the White House.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:00 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,691,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niedo View Post
but, how long can the GOP rely on the reduced turnout of off year elections and resentment over the South losing the Civil War?

they must modernize, which will make it easier for everyone. this is one reason that I'm a near fan of Chris Christie and other northeast Republicans who are the only near moderate voices in that party...
It's not JUST reduced turnout; it's also the redistricting that I mentioned.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:03 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,805,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Actually, given the apparent level of street smarts of the average voter, it would seem that they look to see which side of the butter the bread is on.
If Hillary is anywhere near as smart as she tries to portray, she will NOT run for President. The press will look at everything she has ever said or done and display it for the world to see.
In fact, the same goes for ANYBODY who is fool enough to want that job!
If she did run, I would bet that whatever is pulled up that she has said or done will be overlooked, as long as she is handing out freebies. On the other hand, when Obama leaves office, will there be anything left to give away??

On a serious note: Hillary did not agree with NAFTA and didn't fully agree with it when Bill signed off on it. She as much admits that it backfired and did not help America or Americans. She voted against CAFTA, but was passed, questionably, by 2 Republican votes.

I think having Bill by her side will be helpful. He has regrets on major decisions he made:
The regrets of Bill Clinton - Salon.com

Interesting article on Hillary:
Did Hillary Clinton Really Support NAFTA? Aides, Biographers Say No

Putting aside Hilllary issues, if Hillary addressed the issues that she opposed and those that Bill regrest, and proposed to make changes to any degree, I would consider voting for her. As with anyone in the WH we don't know what they agree with or don't, because careers are at stake and it just isn't done - a WH code of loyalty?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:27 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,279,855 times
Quote:
this is one reason that I'm a near fan of Chris Christie and other northeast Republicans who are the only near moderate voices in that party...
Except he'd never get through the primary without completely reversing himself to appeal to the batchit crazy fringe. Just like Romney.

And then he's toast with moderates/center voters. Just like Romney.

GOP painted itself into a corner when it invited the religious fundamentalists and ignorant far right fringe into the party.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:28 AM

29,639 posts, read 16,681,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Note the above- Another liberal who will vote for four more years of continued economic misery via liberal policy. I guess a lib will be happy being impoverished and homeless, as long as there is gay marriage.

Blame Bush

I did not like Bush, as he was a liberal. However, the nation was far better off under Bush than Obama.

Obama-

1. Worst response to a disaster - Gulf oil spill
2. 7% decline in incomes
3. 40% decline in personal savings
4. highest number of unemployed in US history
5. 50 million on foodstamps
6. only part time jobs created
7. using drones to kill US citizens
8. unrestricted NSA surveilance of US citizens
9. IRS and Benghazi scandals
10. Fast and Furious
11. war on coal
12. no drilling on federal lands
13. Obamacare
14. increased EPA regulations
15. cities and states going bankrupt
16. expansion of wars in the middle east

Bush was a liberal. However, he was far better than Obama.
1. Katrina was far worse than BP oil spill; economically, structurally(response) and the lose of human life.

arguing to the contrary shows you have either no idea what you are talking about, or are so blinded by your hate of President Obama that you dont care that you are wrong.

2. Income has not declined. saying it has insinuates that people are having their pay cut and that just isnt true. You said yourself that the more part time people were hired, do you not know how averages work ?

3. I have seen nothing that shows personal savings have dropped that low. And no, im not just going to take your word for it.

4. This is a moronic argument, the unemployment rate in the late 20's early 30's peaked over 20%. Arguing in pure numbers is stupid because of population growth. Unemployment in 1981 was only 10%(less than half the Depression) but more people were actually unemployed in 1981 because the population was 100 million more.

That is the argument you are making right now and it is stupid.

5.Refer to #4

6. Both part time and full time jobs are being created. You people pretend like there were not more part time jobs than full time jobs before the Recession.

7. If you have a problem with a Drone being used to kill terrorist simply because it is a drone, then why in the hell are you not against the use of guns as well ?

This is the fakest of all your conservative outrage. before drones we would just be sending our guys over there to kill them. So what is it about Drones that is pissing you conservatives off ? is it the supposed hypocrisy argument ? It cant be the US citizens part because we have had soldiers kill US citizens who were terrorist. So why the fake outrage .... Or is it real outraged based on something illogical ?

8. President Bush did an interview saying he was proud of the NSA program HE CREATED.

9. Neither are scandals. the IRS targeted both liberal groups and conservative groups. The problems you cons have is based on there being a list of trigger words. You keep calling Benghazi a scandal but have nothing to back it up.

10. Again another Bush Program, Hell you guys are still repeating the lie that border patrol agents were killed with F&F guns and that isnt even true.

11. There is no war on coal

12. That is false as well, there is LESS drilling on federal lands but drilling overall is actually up.

13. Obamacare is a good thing, this was a #FAIL on your part though.

14. What Regulations ?

15. Cities have been going bankrupt for a long time, not a single state has.

16. LMFAO, How did he expand any war ?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:30 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,691,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Except he'd never get through the primary without completely reversing himself to appeal to the batchit crazy fringe. Just like Romney.

And then he's toast with moderates/center voters. Just like Romney.

GOP painted itself into a corner when it invited the religious fundamentalists and ignorant far right fringe into the party.
Start compiling YouTube videos of his positions now. Then we can make a cool montage when he flips every last one of them for the clown car primary. Now, nobody did this better than Mittens. That man took every position on every issue. So Christie's got some big shoes to fill in the waffling department.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:33 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,374,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Wheeee, keep it up! I can assure you that's definitely the problem here. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the GOP's position on gay marriage, abortion, equal pay for women, civil rights, voter rights or immigration reform. None whatsoever!

( 2014, here we come ... )
"Who cares about the economy? We need gay marriage!"
-The average brain dead liberal fool who voted for Obama

Old 08-07-2013, 10:35 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,374,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Note the above- Another liberal who will vote for four more years of continued economic misery via liberal policy. I guess a lib will be happy being impoverished and homeless, as long as there is gay marriage.

Blame Bush

I did not like Bush, as he was a liberal. However, the nation was far better off under Bush than Obama.

Obama-

1. Worst response to a disaster - Gulf oil spill
2. 7% decline in incomes
3. 40% decline in personal savings
4. highest number of unemployed in US history
5. 50 million on foodstamps
6. only part time jobs created
7. using drones to kill US citizens
8. unrestricted NSA surveilance of US citizens
9. IRS and Benghazi scandals
10. Fast and Furious
11. war on coal
12. no drilling on federal lands
13. Obamacare
14. increased EPA regulations
15. cities and states going bankrupt
16. expansion of wars in the middle east

Bush was a liberal. However, he was far better than Obama.
Quote:
90% of your superfluous list was started or came about because of W! Please recognize!

If you’re saying Obama has not done enough, quickly enough, to mitigate Bush’s disasters; well then I agree to a certain degree. However, you have to factor in the reactionary, obstructive Republican party in that equation, which you clearly have not…

Please cite the Bush policies that caused all of those things.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies